Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Before the season started ...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
What were we worried in April, May, June and July?

Pass rush, DBs, Maclin as #1, Sproles at 31, Foles v2.0, no Byrd. In the first five games the pass rush was still a concern, the CBs were in the cross hairs, and Foles.

At the bye where do we stand?

• Pass rush had a great game against the Giants ... is it fixed?
  • Maclin doesn't have DJax speed but he looks better than he did two years ago.
  • Why were the Saints anxious to dump Sproles?
  • Foles is playing like a young QB. He is a young QB.
  • The CBs have had lots of problems ... can Davis scheme to help them?
  • Jenkins has been a major plus for the defense.

Good time for the bye. Rest, heal and review. The second half is the tough half with Arizona playing well, Houston, Green Bay, Seattle and now Dallas is playing well.
mcnabbulous
Our pass rush is very hit or miss. We had a few games last year where they looked like world beaters, only to get completely shut down by the likes of Minnesota...

If they play like that all year, we'll be in good shape. I don't expect it.

With that said, 5-1 headed into the bye week is a good place to be. We have a tough go of it the rest of the way, but I can't imagine winning fewer than 10 games this year.
nephillymike
Good post Z.

The good:

I think we have solved our pass rush woes. They've been awesome. I think Davis has found a way to mix skills to make a nice pressure unit.

I'd take Maclin any day over DJax. Maclin's playing really well and would be all world if Nick hit him a few more times.

Sproles - absolutely awesome. He would have had another TD if he didn't run into Jenkins.

Jenkins has been a great pickup and his versatility has been really beneficial

Special teams improvement is huge. Burton, Braman, Maragos, Parkey etc all good pickups.

The bad:

The CB's. Credit them for good coverage in the NYG game. Our line never rarely gave Sheli any time to throw, but credit them in manning up on blitz coverage. Aside from this game, despite what Chip says, I think they've been real bad. Below average play from Allen and very good play from Jenkins rounds out the secondary.

The QB. It kills me to say it, but Foles just doesn't seem to be the man. At 5-1, and after the first three quarters of good play this game, there is no need to bench him yet. We have a good alibi on a reason not to make the switch. But is there a point you make the switch to give us our best chance to get to the Super Bowl? If he costs us one game, it will be enough to knock us to a road game in WC weekend. (Did anyone peek at DAL cake schedule?) I said previously, he has three games to turn it around. Despite our great win, his 79 passer rating is strike one. The win affords patience. but as the other guy said in the rankings, can you imagine this offense if Foles was playing well?

Zero
What I'm not digesting with Foles is how well he played last year and the contrast to this year. This is his contract year (pressing?), if he continues to play the same throughout the rest of the year, what do the Eagles do? How can they invest franchise QB money on that kind of play? How could they not hedge their bets by bringing in competition, either through draft, trade or FA? Like you said, can you imagine how good the offense would be if he were playing well?
nephillymike
He's put us in a tough spot.

If that's the case, how do you let Sanchez walk?

Would anyone pay Sanchez starter money next year?

If nobody does, do you bring him back with a decent backup deal like this year but with the agreement that it will be open competition for the starters job next year.

They would be giving Foles this year to land the job based on his play and if not bring them both back with an open competition next year.
Zero
Sanchez looked good in the preseason which means exactly nothing. I wonder if someone would give him starter money but if Foles doesn't do much better I could see them getting similar one year deals with open competition plus adding in a wild card of some sort ... FA, trade, rookie?
SLOiggles
The Eagles could give Foles a shorter contract with team friendliness. I just don't see how you can give up on him this early in his career.

Personally, my biggest question entering the season was, will Bill Lazor's departure affect Foles negatively?

Well.....I'd have to say yes as of right now
nephillymike
QUOTE (SLOiggles @ Oct 18 2014, 07:16 PM) *
The Eagles could give Foles a shorter contract with team friendliness. I just don't see how you can give up on him this early in his career.

Personally, my biggest question entering the season was, will Bill Lazor's departure affect Foles negatively?

Well.....I'd have to say yes as of right now

I remember when Lazor left and Musgrave came in, some were saying that Foles and Lazor butted heads with Lazor's style but others were saying that Musgrave had a non impressive track record recently with QB's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.