Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Go Figure and By The Numbers
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
SAM I Am
Go Figure and By The Numbers

Go Figure

Chipper says he doesn’t care about “time of possession”. He might want to rethink that after reading the first set of figures below.

12 and 2 – The Bird’s record under the Chipper (including playoffs) when they have a time of possession over 25:00
2 and 6 – The Bird’s record under the Chipper (including playoffs) when they have a time of possession under 25:00

100 – Number of consecutive plays run by the Bird’s offense without scoring a TD before the Riley Cooper TD at the end of the first half on Sunday

7 – Consecutive regular season home wins by the Birds

By The Numbers:

Chris Maragos’ 10 yard TD return with a blocked punt in the 1st quarter marked the 3rd straight game the Birds have had a special teams TD. It’s the first time in franchise history that’s happened.

The Birds have allowed just 1 sack in the last 4 games. Amazing, huh?

The Birds had just 1 TD in 3 red-zone trips against the rams. For the season they are just 6 for 16 in the red-zone.
koolaidluke
The offense actually seems to run better when Foles takes more sacks. The Eagles need Foles to go back to his 2013 style of play. Currently he's playing like he did in 2012.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Oct 7 2014, 07:15 PM) *
Chipper says he doesn’t care about “time of possession”. He might want to rethink that after reading the first set of figures below.

12 and 2 – The Bird’s record under the Chipper (including playoffs) when they have a time of possession over 25:00
2 and 6 – The Bird’s record under the Chipper (including playoffs) when they have a time of possession under 25:00

This seems like one of those "correlation does not imply causation" type numbers. In the games we play better, we likely hold the ball more.
D Rock
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Oct 8 2014, 12:15 AM) *

I think play calling has something to do with that. A lot more quick throw play calls than slower developing, down field routes. Perhaps an attempt to compensate for the banged up line?

Eyrie
I'm not convinced by the focus on time of possession and have said so before.

The relevant statistic is the number of snaps the offense and defence are on the field for. Standing around for 30 seconds whilst the opposition offense makes its mind up is not as tiring for our defence as 15 seconds of scrambling to be in position is for the other team's defence.
JeeQ
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Oct 7 2014, 05:15 PM) *

But the line is why Foles is playing so bad... fuck you and your fact based statistics!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 8 2014, 06:26 PM) *
But the line is why Foles is playing so bad... fuck you and your fact based statistics!

Sacks have been statistically proven to be a QB stat. Not Oline. I would link, but I'm on my phone. Will do so at some other point.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 8 2014, 07:23 PM) *
Sacks have been statistically proven to be a QB stat. Not Oline. I would link, but I'm on my phone. Will do so at some other point.

PFF pressure throws is a OL stat and he is slightly less pressured this year than last year.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 8 2014, 08:25 PM) *
PFF pressure throws is a OL stat and he is slightly less pressured this year than last year.

I'd say there is a difference between pressure and actually taking sacks. This is the statistical breakdown I was referring to:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=4152

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.