Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's wrong with Shady?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HobbEs
As per PFT Shady took himself out in the 4th quarter.

Was it injury or just frustration? (I seem to think it's the latter). I have to wonder...Foles doesn't look right, Shady doesn't look right either. Is it the patch work O-line or has the rest of the league caught up with Chip?
mcnabbulous
Something is amiss. In the few one-on-one situations he's gotten, he's rarely made the defender miss like his usual sense. I realize how blasphemous is is to consider that he's worn down, but it either seems like that or an injury to me. He's not nearly as explosive as I'm accustomed to seeing. He seems to know it, which is why he's less decisive too.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Oct 6 2014, 10:22 AM) *
As per PFT Shady took himself out in the 4th quarter.

Was it injury or just frustration? (I seem to think it's the latter). I have to wonder...Foles doesn't look right, Shady doesn't look right either. Is it the patch work O-line or has the rest of the league caught up with Chip?

Shady isn't injured - teams have obviously decided to focus on taking him out of the game, and daring Foles to beat them. Shady is frustrated, and is probably sick of getting 1 yard carries, so he's gone back to his rookie dancing around trying to turn every play into a huge gain. The o-line situation obviously isn't helping. Sproles is having more running success overall because he's quicker, more decisive, and his role while on the field is less predictable, as teams are likely focusing on him less when he's in the backfield.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 6 2014, 10:16 AM) *
Something is amiss. In the few one-on-one situations he's gotten, he's rarely made the defender miss like his usual sense. I realize how blasphemous is is to consider that he's worn down, but it either seems like that or an injury to me. He's not nearly as explosive as I'm accustomed to seeing. He seems to know it, which is why he's less decisive too.

It's like you said earlier, no RB is ever the same after the kind of workload he had last season. Running backs rarely gradually decline. What happens is that one day they just don't have it anymore.

I don't buy that the league has "figured out" Chip... except with respect to the running game and the screens/rb wheels. But those things had already been figured out by the end of last season so there is nothing there.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 6 2014, 12:21 PM) *
It's like you said earlier, no RB is ever the same after the kind of workload he had last season.

At best, there is usually a 2-year dip, followed by a little resurgence, followed by their career coming to a pretty quick ending.

D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 6 2014, 04:16 PM) *

I'll add that he seemingly can't out run anybody either. He was caught from behind by D linemen with regularity this season. Even when he's not showing off his dancing shoes.
nephillymike
Shady was spoiled last year.

He had the best run blocking OL in football and he rarely got touched before getting to the second level where he could juke a few guys to keep going.

It never used to be that way with Andy. He had to run more conventional.

I wonder if his knock to the head has made him hesitant about sticking his head in to get a few four yard grind it out runs.

BTW, Shady said on his show tonight that Duce took him out and he was OK with it b/c he trusts Duce.

Given that Duce did that, I trust Duce too.

Now if Duce could lend some balls to Billy to make a few real easy decisions on the other side of the ball.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 6 2014, 08:38 PM) *
Now if Duce could lend some balls to Billy to make a few real easy decisions on the other side of the ball.

It's a touchy issue for sure, considering what Sconces is making. I'm with you, bench his ass, but it's a more complicated situation when you have to answer to the FO as to why the guy they're paying $17 million is sitting on the bench while healthy.

That's why we had to watch David Bell play third all that time.
Birdman420
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 6 2014, 08:38 PM) *
Shady was spoiled last year.

He had the best run blocking OL in football and he rarely got touched before getting to the second level where he could juke a few guys to keep going.

It never used to be that way with Andy. He had to run more conventional.

I wonder if his knock to the head has made him hesitant about sticking his head in to get a few four yard grind it out runs.

BTW, Shady said on his show tonight that Duce took him out and he was OK with it b/c he trusts Duce.

Given that Duce did that, I trust Duce too.

JeeQ
The main thing I'm seeing is way too much dancing behind the line. Also as much a no one likes to admit it... teams definitely gave special attention to DeSean which meant splitting your attention between DeSean and Shady. Maclin has been great this season, but he doesn't instill the same fear DeSean does so with him gone teams have put 100% focus on Shady. They're daring Foles to beat them with the deep ball, which has been there consistently, but has yet to be connected upon. If Foles would start making teams pay for leaving that deep ball open teams would start debating between taking out Foles or taking out Shady.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 10 2014, 01:33 PM) *
The main thing I'm seeing is way too much dancing behind the line. Also as much a no one likes to admit it... teams definitely gave special attention to DeSean which meant splitting your attention between DeSean and Shady. Maclin has been great this season, but he doesn't instill the same fear DeSean does so with him gone teams have put 100% focus on Shady. They're daring Foles to beat them with the deep ball, which has been there consistently, but has yet to be connected upon. If Foles would start making teams pay for leaving that deep ball open teams would start debating between taking out Foles or taking out Shady.

Yup. If Foles was lighting it up Shady would be having another monster year. Expect the Giants to do the same thing, take him out of the game and dare Foles to beat them.
koolaidluke
Foles isn't going to be beating anybody deep. Not in the Giants game and not ever. His accuracy on passes 30+ yards beyond the LOS is horrid and will remain so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.