Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foles
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
JeeQ
That Slide laugh.gif

If he could just get it together this offense would be unstoppable
Wheeljack
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 5 2014, 03:38 PM) *
That Slide :lol:

If he could just get it together this offense would be unstoppable

Foles is in severe danger of being downgraded from "just a guy" after these recent performances.
Chip Kelly's play call around the 2 minute mark to run the ball instead of pass it to get the first down and keep the drive going was very "Jason Garrett afraid of Romo giving up the game". Even I was wondering if he was going to "Romo" that game.

Besides him, Shady is doing way too much dancing for my tastes.

but the defense? Cary Williams is the new Nnamdi. Real tired of him getting beat.
nephillymike
If Williams starts another game for us barring injury to others, I will have lost all respect for Billy Davis as a coach.

Some decisions are real easy in life Billy.

Open your fucking eyes.

This guy flat out sucks.

Start Boykin and Carroll. Move Boykin to slot and bring Fletcher in on 3 CB sets. Let Williams browse home decor magazines on the bench. I don't care. He doesn't see the field again as far as I'm concerned.

========================================================================
Foles a slightly disappointing performance. That slide fumble is embarrassing. Threw some up for grabs. didn't keep any runs when the DE was crashing down the entire game. I saw only twice when he stepped straight toward the target into the throw. That's basic fundamentals.

=========================================================================
McCoy. Cut back his touches to 15 per game and give the rest to Sproles and Polk. I think he's gun shy about getting hit in the head or something. Very interesting that Sproles was in there at the end and how he had no problem finding the holes. That speaks volumes. If Chip can take out the best RB, why can't Billy take out the worst CB??
=======================================================================

On the plus side, the special teams are awesome as is the D's penchant for turnovers. Our DST have outscored our offense 35-20 the last two weeks. We should be rolling people.

But 4-1 is 4-1. Next week will be a big challenge. All in prime time. 8:30 PM.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 5 2014, 06:29 PM) *
Foles a slightly disappointing performance. That slide fumble is embarrassing. Threw some up for grabs. didn't keep any runs when the DE was crashing down the entire game. I saw only twice when he stepped straight toward the target into the throw. That's basic fundamentals.

Slightly disappointing? He was awful. Again. This is the third out of four wins this season they've won in spite of his play, not because of it.

Eagles are 4-1 and that's great, but tough not to feel a bit of impostor syndrome here though. Sooner or later the defensive/ST TDs will dry up, defenders will start grabbing those awful balls Foles throws up, and this team will be exposed.
nephillymike
Per Billy Davis:

Davis said he’s not planning any lineup changes, even with Williams and Fletcher struggling. He pointed out that the team’s two other corners, Boykin and Nolan Carroll, are both banged up.

“Nolan’s a little nicked and Boykin’s coming off the ham, so you’re in a spot where all hands on deck and we’ve got to play better with where we are,” he said. “We have all the dbs in the game in dime.”

The Eagles have now allowed 511 and 466 yards in their last two home games.

They only allowed 466 or more yards twice in the previous 26 years at home.

“We had the big three-touchdown lead, so you rush four and play zone and they ate it up and we didn’t make any plays and they made all the plays, and the last series, we went back to where we brought pressure,” Davis said.

“It was disappointing we couldn’t rush four and play our zones to keep the lead. He ran around and then threw it and they made a play and we didn’t, and that’s disappointing. We almost let it slip away. We’ve got to fix that part of it.”
======================================================================

Heal up Carroll and Boykin!! Extra smoothie shakes for you this week.
nephillymike
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Oct 5 2014, 07:18 PM) *
Slightly disappointing? He was awful. Again. This is the third out of four wins this season they've won in spite of his play, not because of it.

Eagles are 4-1 and that's great, but tough not to feel a bit of impostor syndrome here though. Sooner or later the defensive/ST TDs will dry up, defenders will start grabbing those awful balls Foles throws up, and this team will be exposed.

I've been critical of Foles but here's the bad I saw:

The fumble

The short pass incomplete to Matthews near the five yard line (he then hit the next play for TD to Maclin) Yet exhibit 1000 that he hasn't been stepping toward the target!! Jeezus!

The INT jump ball to Maclin. Should have been outside more an a little deeper. I think the mistake was more throwing it than where he threw it. He was covered. But you know what, if Mac is in a bad spot there, he need to pass interfere and tackle the guy to prevent an INT there. He seems to lack that instinct. Not an excuse.

He seemed to throw some up, which looked dangerous but they were caught.

Other than those he completed a bunch.

What did you see to rate him as awful?

BTW, did you notice they stayed away from sideline pass routes and worked the middle of the field, almost exclusively? Foles has struggled with the sideline routes and looked like they are avoiding them.
nephillymike
Sproles:

7 runs 51 yds 7+ ypc:

10,10,3,25,2,2,(1)

I guess the holes were only there for Sproles.

I can handle more Sproles. Can you?

If I want to see dancing, I'll watch Dancing With the Stars with my wife.

Hit the hole Shady!!
koolaidluke
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Oct 5 2014, 07:18 PM) *

Jesus christ. I don't think it's that bad. That was a really good defense the Eagles were playing and while the Eagles O wasn't lights out, it did okay. Foles threw a successful fade pass in the end zone for the first time since the Saints game.

The Jags game was a freebie and the Redskins are awful but beating the Colts and Rams are big wins. Look out for this team.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 5 2014, 08:42 PM) *

The fumble

The short pass incomplete to Matthews near the five yard line (he then hit the next play for TD to Maclin) Yet exhibit 1000 that he hasn't been stepping toward the target!! Jeezus!

The INT jump ball to Maclin. Should have been outside more an a little deeper. I think the mistake was more throwing it than where he threw it. He was covered. But you know what, if Mac is in a bad spot there, he need to pass interfere and tackle the guy to prevent an INT there. He seems to lack that instinct. Not an excuse.

BTW, did you notice they stayed away from sideline pass routes and worked the middle of the field, almost exclusively? Foles has struggled with the sideline routes and looked like they are avoiding them.

Ok, thinking about it a bit more rationally maybe "awful" was a bit over the top. Geno Smith was awful today. Foles was just wildly inconsistent (as he has been for most of the season), and continues to make bad decisions. Specifically, he keeps just chucking balls up there off his back foot and somehow (most of the time) they're not getting picked. He still has issues with the deep ball, mostly just chucking ducks up sky high over his receivers (with the exception of today's pick on the Maclin throw which was underthrown).Someone called into WIP the other week and made the witty crack that if McNabb was a worm killer, Foles is a bird killer cool.gif

I do agree that the only time he really seems to step into throws and have any accuracy at a reasonable distance is when they go over the middle. Teams will eventually start gameplanning to take that away though. Basically just take away McCoy and dare Foles to beat you seems to be like a solid gameplan against this team.

While we may disagree on our assesment of Foles, I couldn't agree more with you on how bad the corners have been. Sconces is absolutely atrocious. Fletcher at least made a few plays today, but was still pretty bad overall. It looks like we're stuck with these two stiffs for the foreseeable future, too.

Better start dialing up the pressure Billy.
Zero
Funny, I've never really emotionally accepted Williams or Fletcher as Eagles. I've always felt like they were just passing through.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 5 2014, 08:42 PM) *

The fumble

I know I'll take heat for this, but would the offense be playing better if Sanchez was playing? I'm not suggesting a change or trying to start a QB controversy, just a question.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 6 2014, 06:32 AM) *
I know I'll take heat for this, but would the offense be playing better if Sanchez was playing? I'm not suggesting a change or trying to start a QB controversy, just a question.

I'll add in something else:

Would Chip have pulled the "Jason Garrett" move before the 2 minute warning if he trusted Foles to complete a < 5 yard pass (IIRC) to keep the chains moving (and the Rams offense off the field down one possession)? the time on the clock was negligible between an incomplete pass/run play

I'm starting to understand why Young Buttfumble was the choice for backup
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Oct 6 2014, 10:10 AM) *
I'll add in something else:

Would Chip have pulled the "Jason Garrett" move before the 2 minute warning if he trusted Foles to complete a < 5 yard pass (IIRC) to keep the chains moving (and the Rams offense off the field down one possession)? the time on the clock was negligible between an incomplete pass/run play

This is the most telling indictment of Foles. A first down puts that game away and Chip had no faith in Foles.
HOUSEoPAIN

NO!

It's a good thing Vick is gone and Buttfumble is here, or else half of Philly would be screaming for Vick to get another 3 year deal. Foles has earned a full year as starter barring injuries, even though he's been pretty bad at times.
HOUSEoPAIN

*duplicate
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 6 2014, 01:55 AM) *
Sproles:

7 runs 51 yds 7+ ypc:

10,10,3,25,2,2,(1)

I guess the holes were only there for Sproles.

I can handle more Sproles. Can you?

If I want to see dancing, I'll watch Dancing With the Stars with my wife.

Hit the hole Shady!!

jumpclap.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 6 2014, 10:56 AM) *
NO!

It's a good thing Vick is gone and Buttfumble is here, or else half of Philly would be screaming for Vick to get another 3 year deal. Foles has earned a full year as starter barring injuries, even though he's been pretty bad at times.

I don't know HOP.

My patience is running thin. Too much lack of vision, too many mechanical flaws, too many incompletions and then there's that #$% fumble.

That fumble yesterday was worse than the butt fumble IMO. Nobody knocked the ball out of Foles hands.

I like him and I want him to do well. But he needs to perform. We're 4-1, he's the 24th best rated QB in the league and I'm still seeing open WR's time after time.

I want to win a SB. I want to win a SB this year. Tomorrow never knows in the NFL.

We have 11 games left, and all but two are against teams with winning records.

We have home vs. NYG, @ ARI and @HOU. I give him those three games. If he is still hovering in below average land, I make the change to Sanchez. All that matter is wins. They're big boys.

I coached my kids for many years and always based their playing time based on performance. I have no problem doing that with Foles.

If Davis comes out with Sconces and Fletch as the starters, then he isn't playing to win either and only playing to appease feelings.

They have the talent on the team to win.

We're #1 seed in the NFC for crying out loud!!
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 6 2014, 08:31 PM) *
I don't know HOP.

My patience is running thin. Too much lack of vision, too many mechanical flaws, too many incompletions and then there's that #$% fumble.

That fumble yesterday was worse than the butt fumble IMO. Nobody knocked the ball out of Foles hands.

I like him and I want him to do well. But he needs to perform. We're 4-1, he's the 24th best rated QB in the league and I'm still seeing open WR's time after time.

I want to win a SB. I want to win a SB this year. Tomorrow never knows in the NFL.

We have home vs. NYG, @ ARI and @HOU. I give him those three games. If he is still hovering in below average land, I make the change to Sanchez. All that matter is wins. They're big boys.

I coached my kids for many years and always based their playing time based on performance. I have no problem doing that with Foles.

If Davis comes out with Sconces and Fletch as the starters, then he isn't playing to win either and only playing to appease feelings.

Sanchez is a dog. Someone who's decent enough to keep people attending the games if Foles goes down - the upside Foles gives you is much better, and if your goal is SB, Sanchez shouldn't be part of the conversation at all. Who knows if Foles is that guy, all I'm saying is he's earned the right to play a full year, to see how he responds to adversity over an entire season, and to see if he's the guy or not.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 6 2014, 08:31 PM) *
I don't know HOP.

Consider this, we have fielded 5 different O-Lines in 5 games and NONE were the five starters Foles had in front of him last year. He has taken more hits than most QBs, even though he hasn't taken sacks (could be one reason his incompletion % is so high). Sure he has made some bad throws seemingly without being pressured, but until he feels comfortable he will make mistakes. Hard to do when the line personnel keep changing. Same goes for Shady, maybe even more for him, it was not a surprise that he busted a 19 yard run yesterday behind Herremans and Johnson.
Foles is young and learning, coming off the kind of season that can't be reproduced and he is facing adversity. His team mates have his back, you should too, I think he will get through this and come out better for it. This week it looks like they will field the same O-line as last week, so maybe Foles can settle down and Shady too. Kelly did say in one of his pressers that last year's line kept Foles 'cleaner' in the pocket, so the coaches know where the problem lies. You win and lose in the trenches and hopefully they are shored up enough to make it through October.
With all that going on you do not abandon Foles, he still has real upside IMO.
Zero
I realize Foles is still young, learning and growing into his job. Could it be that Foles isn't what we saw last year but only a good, serviceable system QB who performs well when things go right but just doesn't have the talent to rise above the disarray we've seen this year? Would Ryan, Flacco, Rivers or players like that do any better?
nephillymike
Through five games, he was pressured more last year.

He hasn't looked right from the first snap of preseason.

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/10/...-think-fixable/

How long do you give him of him playing at this level before you make a switch? I said three more games. Are you giving him the entire year?
Wheeljack
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 7 2014, 05:44 AM) *
I realize Foles is still young, learning and growing into his job. Could it be that Foles isn't what we saw last year but only a good, serviceable system QB who performs well when things go right but just doesn't have the talent to rise above the disarray we've seen this year? Would Ryan, Flacco, Rivers or players like that do any better?

He always has been a serviceable system QB, IMO.
I'm iffy on Flacco (I will concede that he is better than any Raven QB I can remember) but Ryan and Rivers would have done better. The two of them have had moments of actually taking over/control of a game. Foles at the very least is resilient.

I would love to have Phillip Rivers right today. I think he's better than Eli and we should be grateful that he wasn't drafted by that New Jersey Football Team
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 7 2014, 04:44 AM) *
Could it be that Foles isn't what we saw last year but only a good, serviceable system QB who performs well when things go right but just doesn't have the talent to rise above the disarray we've seen this year?

Yes

Would Ryan, Flacco, Rivers or players like that do any better?

Rivers is a top-3 QB in the NFL. Glad he finally got the sufficient coaching he has lacked for a few years.

Ryan is better than Foles. Flacco is about the same. Maybe a little better. Not really sure at this point.
nephillymike
The thing that gets me about Foles this year:

What he did last year, stat wise, is a once in a career, if that, type deal.

No reasonable expectations would expect anything close to 27-2.

However, what he did well last year was make good decisions, throw accurately and see the field.

It's hard to believe he suffered in all three facets.

And the pressure he is facing from opposing D's in overrated. He's been sacked once in four games. He got the shit beat out of him vs. WAS, but other than that, he's been pretty clean.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 7 2014, 08:48 PM) *
And the pressure he is facing from opposing D's in overrated. He's been sacked once in four games. He got the shit beat out of him vs. WAS

and that was his only "good" game this season.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 7 2014, 08:38 PM) *
and that was his only "good" game this season.

About that fumble. I didn't hear anyone comment on this.

We've heard reporters mention about his badly bruised left shoulder.

A right handed QB, naturally carries the ball in his right hand when runnning. Because of this, a headfirst sliding right handed QB will always choose to land on his left shoulder to avoid the uncomfortable feeling and perhaps loss of breath of landing on your right shoulder with the ball in it. Foles avoided landing on his left side, maybe to avoid the pain of his left shoulder and thus making the fumble a possibility.
Zero
If Foles is hurting and if that is affecting his performance what should Kelly do?

1. Let him work through it. Don't disrupt the offensive continuity any more than it already is. Don't rupture his confidence.
2. Sit him until he's healthy again. Give him time to heal and work on his (apparently) bad mechanics. Give Sanchez the opportunity to get game experience just in case. Open up the possibility for an ugly QB controversy.

Thoughts?
D Rock
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 8 2014, 12:50 PM) *
Thoughts?

We're 4 & 1.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 8 2014, 01:50 PM) *
If Foles is hurting and if that is affecting his performance what should Kelly do?

1. Let him work through it. Don't disrupt the offensive continuity any more than it already is. Don't rupture his confidence.
2. Sit him until he's healthy again. Give him time to heal and work on his (apparently) bad mechanics. Give Sanchez the opportunity to get game experience just in case. Open up the possibility for an ugly QB controversy.

Thoughts?

1 - We play NJ VaGiants on Sunday night, then
2 - Foles gets a fortnight to heal that shoulder.

Best of both worlds.

Zero
Fortnight? OUT! OUT damn spot! laugh.gif
nephillymike
He threw fortnight into the dialogue?

Fortnight??

Well, I'm going to throw some obscure time references in there too:

Two score and fourteen years ago was the last time the Eagles won a championship in this town.

Two score and ten years ago I was born.

Do whatever we need to do to get us another one.

If that means a QB change, a CB change, or changing the jerseys to black for Sunday night, get it done!!
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 8 2014, 07:50 AM) *

Thoughts?

I think I let him play through it for the next three games. If he doesn't improve, I make the switch. This way, it is enough time to give Sanchez a shot for a few games and you can go back to Foles if that doesn't work.

I really hope Foles turns it around. I want him to be the guy.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 8 2014, 07:33 PM) *
I think I let him play through it for the next three games. If he doesn't improve, I make the switch. This way, it is enough time to give Sanchez a shot for a few games and you can go back to Foles if that doesn't work.

Even if they are 7 - 1 at that point?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 8 2014, 06:33 PM) *

I really hope Foles turns it around. I want him to be the guy.

yeah...because that always works when you bench a guy and then try to go back to him.....go thinking...

on a side note to end this insanity...how about that Casey Matthews?........shocking?
nephillymike
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Oct 8 2014, 08:53 PM) *
Even if they are 7 - 1 at that point?

That's a tough one.

I think if he plays the way he has, we lose at least two if not three of the next three.

BUT, it would be tough to make the move at 7-1.

Are Sconces and Fletcher exempt from benching because we're 4-1?

I say no, and I say no to Foles. Sconces has already proved he's due for pine time.

If Foles plays as he has to date for the next three games, yes I bench him.

We need to win the SB this year and to do that, we need to have home field advantage to avoid @ Seattle. In order to do that, we need much better CB and QB play.

So yes, regardless of record, if Foles continues to play at a 20-25thish best in the NFL level, yes I bench him.

I love Foles. I never ever wanted Sanchez.

But my eyes in preseason for Sanchez and what I continually see from Foles for the entire year except for about 1/2 of football vs. Washington and one drive in SF and STL each tell me that the short leash is justified.

I hope Nick pulls a Foleish rebound and comes out on fire Sunday Night against our enemies from the north. That would be great to see.

Let's hope the benching decision never comes to be.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 8 2014, 09:16 PM) *
yeah...because that always works when you bench a guy and then try to go back to him.....go thinking...

on a side note to end this insanity...how about that Casey Matthews?........shocking?

What happened to Casey Matthews?
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 8 2014, 10:16 PM) *

Insanity? The original premise for discussion was if his problems are a result of injury. Is it insane to discuss protecting your potential franchise QB?

The improvement in Matthews' play probably needs to be credited to how Davis is using him. You can't expect him to do what would be expected of Kendricks and a good coach would make adjustments to account for the player. That's what they said they would do when the staff was put together and it seems to be what they are doing.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 8 2014, 10:49 PM) *
Are Sconces and Fletcher exempt from benching because we're 4-1?

I say no, and I say no to Foles. Sconces has already proved he's due for pine time.

Didn't Davis say that the CB play was good but needed some work? I realize Williams should have looked for the ball on that TD in the end zone and should have been expected to with his experience. The question is will Davis get improvement from them.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 9 2014, 12:14 AM) *
Fortnight? OUT! OUT damn spot! laugh.gif

I'm always amazed at how America survives with such a limited vocabulary blink.gif

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 9 2014, 12:30 AM) *
He threw fortnight into the dialogue?

Fortnight??

Well, I'm going to throw some obscure time references in there too:

Two score and fourteen years ago was the last time the Eagles won a championship in this town.

Two score and ten years ago I was born.

Do whatever we need to do to get us another one.

If that means a QB change, a CB change, or changing the jerseys to black for Sunday night, get it done!!

I'm now thinking that you're the jinx - we need you to become a Cowboys fan! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 9 2014, 01:33 PM) *
Didn't Davis say that the CB play was good but needed some work? I realize Williams should have looked for the ball on that TD in the end zone and should have been expected to with his experience. The question is will Davis get improvement from them.

Good coaches don't throw players under the bus that they need for the rest of the year. Davis diverted attention by reminding us that a number of factors contributed to the plays he mentioned, but the fact remains that our starting CBs weren't good enough to do their job. Is it too early to start talking about our 2015 needs?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 8 2014, 02:20 PM) *
2 - Foles gets a fortnight to heal that shoulder.

Wheeljack
It's a good thing the defense was balling out of control last night.

Foles had forever to throw, but he had the footwork of a bad dancer last night, throwing up Eli Specials for grabs.... I almost wanted to see Sanchez again.

Good thing the Eagles are winning because I have a feeling he's gonna "Eli Up" at the wrong time in a big game.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Oct 13 2014, 10:06 AM) *
It's a good thing the defense was balling out of control last night.

Foles had forever to throw, but he had the footwork of a bad dancer last night, throwing up Eli Specials for grabs.... I almost wanted to see Sanchez again.

Good thing the Eagles are winning because I have a feeling he's gonna "Eli Up" at the wrong time in a big game.

Sadly, I agree.

He was throwing with conviction, his lead foot toward the target. letting it fly and was hitting the WR's all over the middle in stride.

Then even though he didn't get hit, he just got all jittery, bad footwork, throwing off the back foot, lead foot out at a 60 degree angle again and bad decisions and then two picks. I don't get it.

He's playing like a ticking time bomb.

I want him to be the guy so bad but gun to my head, I don't think he will. I just don't understand why they can't correct the footwork. I can almost see not being able to correct bad decisions, but leading with your front foot toward the target is the first thing you teach someone who is learning to throw. It really is that basic. Why did Lazer make him do it but Musgrave can't?

xsv
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 13 2014, 07:44 PM) *
I want him to be the guy so bad but gun to my head, I don't think he will. I just don't understand why they can't correct the footwork. I can almost see not being able to correct bad decisions, but leading with your front foot toward the target is the first thing you teach someone who is learning to throw. It really is that basic. Why did Lazer make him do it but Musgrave can't?

I feel like some of his sloppy mechanics were there last year too, no?

nephillymike
QUOTE (xsv @ Oct 13 2014, 09:02 PM) *
I feel like some of his sloppy mechanics were there last year too, no?

To be honest, he was playing so well that I didn't look at his mechanics last year so I don't know.
xsv
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 14 2014, 06:04 AM) *
To be honest, he was playing so well that I didn't look at his mechanics last year so I don't know.

I definitely remember seeing him throwing off his back foot and/or not setting his feet. Never really noticed the 60 degrees things before.

Maybe Chip limited his reads last year, and only had one or two options to progress through. This year, maybe it's opened up quite a bit more, and he's struggling a little bit and trying to get through all of them every time to determine the best option.

That would explain why he seems to hang in the pocket longer this year, right up until he gets hit trying to make a throw.
Reality Fan
Now folks doubted Foles last year too? too damn funny...Foles looked very good except 2 bad decisions......I never realized how many QB coaches came here....

It is a progression every season and with improved line play comes a better running game and better QB play....funny how that works...
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 14 2014, 08:21 PM) *
Now folks doubted Foles last year too? too damn funny...Foles looked very good except 2 bad decisions......I never realized how many QB coaches came here....

It is a progression every season and with improved line play comes a better running game and better QB play....funny how that works...

How far do you think we get with Foles this year with him playing the way he played the last three games combined, or the way he played the entire year so far?

Do we get further than that if he plays at a top 12 QB level? (which I think is a reasonable target)

At what level do you think he will play at the rest of the year?
xsv
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 14 2014, 09:21 PM) *

Just out of curiosity, where did you read that someone "doubted Foles last year too"?

Either I missed a post somewhere or you missed the point of the last few posts.

xsv
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 14 2014, 10:04 PM) *
How far do you think we get with Foles this year with him playing the way he played the last three games combined, or the way he played the entire year so far?

Do we get further than that if he plays at a top 12 QB level? (which I think is a reasonable target)

If he reduces the number of turnovers per game, he'll be fine. But right now he's on pace for a 27TD 18INT season. That probably doesn't get us very far unless special teams and defense continue to score. His accuracy has been pretty poor too, although if you forget about the SF game, he's right at or above his career average of ~ 62%. Last year he was around 64%, but I had the impression he was going to be closer to a 70% passer, so I'm a little disappointed that hasn't manifest itself.

In all, I think he's been pretty average. I'm still happy to give him the rest of the season to get it together. But if he doesn't improve by either reducing turnovers and/or improving his accuracy, I don't think he'll be the long term answer.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 14 2014, 09:04 PM) *

I am pretty simple about this. I was not a "foles guy" so it was a pleasant surprise when he blossomed into a nice QB. That being said I did not expect him to repeat last year but I expected him to play well. He does not fold as evidenced in the SF game driving down on the final drive the field after playing poorly all game. My expectations dropped as his line crumbled in front of him. Last week was the first time the same line played 2 consecutive weeks and the center, a linchpin for this offense, played much better. I don't think he is Aaron Rodgers or Peyton but i think he is good enough to win. With a decent line I think he is top 12 easily. he made 2 bad decisions last week but played well otherwise and I think he builds on that and gains more trust in his line. i thought it was foolish to call a game with a lot of deep throws with a patchwork line due to the fact that those palys take time to develop. You had 3 guys in at one time with less than 5 NFL games between them. I would have expected more man on man blocking to det them some confidence but Chip still called a zone game.....it was not surprising that it did not do well.

It remains to be seen how he does going forward but I would be disappointed if he plays poorly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.