Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Revisiting the Draft Board for 34OLB's at the quarter mark
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I took a look back at my 34 OLB draft board from the draft compilation I do every year and here are Marcus Smith and the 9 OLB's ranked ahead of him and how everyone has done so far.

P. RNK = Rank among 34-OLB's Prospects
O.RNK = Overall rank among all prospects
DRF = Draft Pick Chosen
Snap% = % of teams defensive snaps he has played so for

PRNK.O.RNK......Name.....................Team.............DRF........Snap%......Comments
1.........1..........Clowney...................HOU...............1.............23%........Injured. He's a starter otherwise
2.........3..........Mack........................OAK...............5.............89%........Leading PFF def ROY tally thru 4 games
3.........6..........Barr.........................MIN................9.............97%........7th in PFF def ROY tally
4.........21........Shazier.....................PIT................15............57%........I thought he had a chance of sliding to #22
5.........33........Ford.........................KC.................23............11%........R. Diddy choice for our pick
6.........44........Attaochu..................SD.................50............12%.......WR in round 1, him in round 2 was my choice
7.........46........Lawrence..................DAL...............34............IR..........
.Injured returning soon
8.........57........Murphy.....................WAS..............47.............39%.......My second choice for 2nd round OLB
9.........83........M. Smith..................PHI...............26..............8%..........See below

His 8% def. snap count is inflated as he would not have been activated if not for the three injuries at LB (Long, Goode, Kendricks). Risky pick given his short time playing defense. Chip loves drafting ex QB's who convert to other positions, because of smarts. The only thing I'm hanging hope on is Trotter was a mess his rookie year.

As far as a do over, we started with #22, #54 and #86.

I would do the trade with CLE, so that gave us #26, #54, #83, #86

Now at #22, CLE takes the fraud QB. Just what I wanted. However, you have to think the Eagles know C. Williams sucks and would have been interested in Dennard, and with their pass rushing woes, prolly had interest in Ford. When they both go #23 and #24 that had to be a kick in the balls. But who knows, Sconces is still starting so maybe they are blind. At that point, I trade the #26 to MIN for them to get their QB and fair value is the #40 and #72.

That gives me #40, #54, #72, #83, #86 which is plenty of ammo to move up and get the guys we needed, given the happenings of picks #1-#25. Use the 40 on either Lee or Matthews and move up a few by trading a low pick to get up to get Attaochu or Murphy. That still gives us #72, 83 and 86 to address other needs.

If they were hell bent on getting an OLB in the first two rounds, I just think there were better and cheaper options without reaching for a risk at #26.
mcnabbulous
I think the biggest confusion is based on the idea that they wanted Smith as strictly a pass rusher. It's pretty obvious that versatility is key to every guy we acquire on defense. Smith's ability to drop in coverage (which he's already shown flashes) is something those other guys don't offer.

Versatility is why they signed Jenkins and why they drafted Smith. Patience is a virtue.
koolaidluke
I second what McNabbulous said. In drafting Smith they were looking for another Barwin, not another Cole. Whether he will ever actually develop, we don't know, but we can definitely see the potential.

I really liked the last two Eagles drafts. In neither draft was there a single pick that I didn't like, although I'm pretty easy to please.
nephillymike
He was in coverage and had Gore n that long cross field completion.

I'm sorry, the devil03.gif made me do it.

That was too easy to let go by!!!

Do either of you think that Smith ascends to a solid starter with a Pro Bowl on his resume before he hangs it up. I would say that would be a successful pick at #26.

Would you say he will have multiple years of a solid starter in the NFL, which is an acceptable outcome for #26.

Any thing below that is not a good pick.

I don't see either as a possibility. Didn't see it pre-draft or by anything he's done since or by anything any of the team observers have said since.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 5 2014, 11:01 AM) *

That was essentially a broken play. Not too many guys are capable of making the throw that Kaep did there. Obviously it was bad, but until it happens again, I'm not gonna get too stressed about it.

Do either of you think that Smith ascends to a solid starter with a Pro Bowl on his resume before he hangs it up. I would say that would be a successful pick at #26.

Would you say he will have multiple years of a solid starter in the NFL, which is an acceptable outcome for #26.

Any thing below that is not a good pick.

I don't see either as a possibility. Didn't see it pre-draft or by anything he's done since or by anything any of the team observers have said since.

I could easily see that. Not as a pure pass rusher though. I've never seen him as a consistent double digit sack guy. I see him as more of a Carlos Emmons type. If he had that type of impact here, I can't imagine people would be unhappy.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 5 2014, 12:28 PM) *
That was essentially a broken play. Not too many guys are capable of making the throw that Kaep did there. Obviously it was bad, but until it happens again, I'm not gonna get too stressed about it.

I could easily see that. Not as a pure pass rusher though. I've never seen him as a consistent double digit sack guy. I see him as more of a Carlos Emmons type. If he had that type of impact here, I can't imagine people would be unhappy.

Easily see what?

A trip to the PB?

A solid starter?

Or something less than the two above?
mcnabbulous
Solid starter, potential pro bowler.

I suppose we could have drafted Dee Ford...

https://vine.co/v/OKiD0nEJ1Tj

Rookies, man.
koolaidluke
Dee Ford is gonna be a stud. He's got great burst.

Also, I think he was off the board when the Eagles picked.

I think the Eagles wanted Cooks.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 5 2014, 10:12 PM) *
Dee Ford is gonna be a stud. He's got great burst.

Also, I think he was off the board when the Eagles picked.

I think the Eagles wanted Cooks.

I'm not very high on him, just because I don't like his physical specs. There are only a handful of guys his size who have ever successfully turned into big time pass rushers. And rest assured, that's all he can do. If he doesn't become a stud there, he'll wash out pretty quickly. Can't cover and can't play the run.

That video clip of him is pretty hilarious though.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 5 2014, 12:01 PM) *

Yeah, but you're engaging someone who's still lying to himself about his Geno Smith fathead being a waste of 2 week's allowance.....at least Marcus Smith hasn't called timeout after the 2 minute warning (yet). laugh.gif

Marcus Smith's first milestone will have to be doing something on the field besides blowing coverages - we're entering week 6 and the only Smith on our defensive stat sheet is Brad the WR. It was always a controversial first round pick, and I was willing at the time to give the Eagles the benefit of the doubt, but it's pretty clear even this early that he's a bust - he may someday be a decent backup, but in his draft position we both agree anything less than a solid starter for multiple years is a waste of a pick.

Prove me wrong Marcus!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.