Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More on the offense ... Foles
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I'm reading that Cosell is saying Foles is a system QB and that defenses have improved their coverage of Kelly's system. I love his grit and his unassuming personality. He works hard and the team seems to like him. The question in my mind is if Foles has enough talent to move beyond the system.
NFL Films Senior Producer Greg Cosell doesn't see a different Nick Foles when he watches the tape, but rather a quarterback that is facing a new set of obstacles.

Really, it's the defenses that are changing in Cosell's view. Take, for instance, the Redskins and Niners. Both units largely remained in their base 3-4 against three-receiver sets when playing the Eagles, he said, which made it that much more difficult for the ground game to get going. With the run game stymied, Foles is frequently finding himself in third-and-longs .

"When Foles gets into more long-yardage situations -- it's tougher for any quarterback, that's not just Nick Foles -- but Foles is not the kind of quarterback that is going to stand in the pocket, sit on his back foot and drill the ball consistently between defenders," he said.

Not only is Foles in a tougher spot when it comes to down and distance, but the windows he is being asked to throw into are often tighter than they were a year ago in Cosell's opinion.

"Last year because all of this was new to defensive coordinators, we all agree that it looked last year like there were a ton of open receivers, which doesn't happen that much in the NFL," said Cosell.

"I think if you look at Foles the player, what you likely see is this: He's got a good arm but not a gun; he's not a power thrower, not a drive thrower. He's a little more of a finesse thrower than a drive thrower. He does not have quick feet. There is no quick-twitch to his movement. There's no explosive lower-body movement to him. When you look at Foles, I think what you see is a quarterback that needs the system to work for him and provide defined reads and good throws with the route concepts, just the whole system. He needs the system to work for him...

"I don't think he's really any different [from last year]. Because he's not a quick-twitch guy, when he doesn't feel comfortable making a throw he'll start to look a little awkward because he's not quick twitch, he moves around. There's been more of that this year and I think that's because defenses have done a really good job with the Eagles. Now it's up to the Eagles to respond."
HobbEs
I agree with some but not all of this. Our receivers are still getting open...a lot. Foles is just missing them. I don't know whether that's because of timing, our patch work line or what but to me he doesn't look like the same QB as last year.

Another thing to think about is Foles has a new position coach this year. Maybe he's getting coached up on new technique or footwork? At times it does look like he's thinking too much.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Oct 3 2014, 08:34 AM) *
At times it does look like he's thinking too much.

This is the most obvious thing to me. I wonder if it's because of the decreased throwing lanes, as referenced in the posted article. Guys can still be open, but not as open as last year?

Maybe last year's crazy open receivers was simply a product of Chip's newness.
koolaidluke
Guys have been getting open yeah, but mainly on ultra deep routes. He's been missing those throws at an abnormally high rate but even that is because so many of his deep throws are under pressure and because Riley Cooper sucks.

Even at the NFL level, QBs generally miss most of their 30-yard-from-the-LOS-in-the-air attempts even when un pressured. Those are hard throws to hit (McNabb with his cannon arm was notoriously awful at them outside of the TO year) which is why defenses have been so willing to dare Foles to hit them.

The screen game has been shut down and I don't anticipate it returning unless Kelly goes for a complete overhaul of the offense, but the run game should improve once the line gets healthy and McCoy starts running more north-south. It may also be necessary to cut down on the zone read and go with more conventional running plays.
nephillymike
The guys are so wide open down field, that an average Foles should put up good numbers from here on out.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 3 2014, 08:44 PM) *
The guys are so wide open down field, that an average Foles should put up good numbers from here on out.

the problem with this broken record is not what is happening downfield....it is what is happening in the pocket, what little there is of one....with the beating he has taken in the first 4 games he has to be a little skittish(see Tom Brady 2014). You apparently discount that entirely....

In the NFL any team with line problems has guys open downfield because defenses single cover and pressure the QB who has to move and throw.....it isn't madden....it is pretty tough to do....the problem is there are so many armchair coaches with the internet and every reporter and analyst wants their own take....see Cosell, Domowitch et al......so hard to determine what the reason actually is. Foles has not been stellar but he has been good overall......he needs to get his timing down with Maclin....something he has not had previous time to do.....it would be nice to see them use TEs on short routes to loosen things up...seems every throw to a TE is downfield 15-20 yards....may be my imagination....
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 4 2014, 10:15 AM) *
it would be nice to see them use TEs on short routes to loosen things up...seems every throw to a TE is downfield 15-20 yards....may be my imagination....

Reasonable response. Regarding TE routes, could it be the QB isn't hitting the quick route which contributes to the beatings? I'm a DKD, but wouldn't Kelly be calling quick passes knowing that the OL is porous? If not, shouldn't this be on him?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 4 2014, 09:15 AM) *
the problem with this broken record is not what is happening downfield....it is what is happening in the pocket, what little there is of one....with the beating he has taken in the first 4 games he has to be a little skittish(see Tom Brady 2014). You apparently discount that entirely....

In the NFL any team with line problems has guys open downfield because defenses single cover and pressure the QB who has to move and throw.....it isn't madden....it is pretty tough to do....the problem is there are so many armchair coaches with the internet and every reporter and analyst wants their own take....see Cosell, Domowitch et al......so hard to determine what the reason actually is. Foles has not been stellar but he has been good overall......he needs to get his timing down with Maclin....something he has not had previous time to do.....it would be nice to see them use TEs on short routes to loosen things up...seems every throw to a TE is downfield 15-20 yards....may be my imagination....

Foles is my favorite Eagle and I've spent many a poker game arguing for him during this offseason. Sometimes I thought I was arguing the benefits of having Koy Detmer as a QB. You would never know the two years Foles had.

It's mostly him. He doesn't have to hit all of those open guys, but if he hits just half of those he's missed, he'd be doing fine. Most of those plays, pressure is not an issue. It just isn't. Does pressure factor in? Sure, it always does for QB's. But he has to hit more of those open passes. Guys are open and open with clean pockets. QB's are human, but he can't let a hit in the first qtr effect his play in the 4th qtr, or a pounding vs. Was effect him in the SF game. Those who do have a name..........backups.

That being said, teams are playing more zone against us. Many times vs. zone, the curls, button hooks and seven yard outs are the way to go. Seems to me, Chip likes to still run slants and posts over zones and rarely does the traditional find a soft spot and turnaround route that defeats zones pretty effectively. I think that would help.

I think Foles will break out of it. I pray he does. For the team, for him and for me and the shitload of ITYS I'll have to hear at the poker table in upcoming months. I look forward to him and the team putting it all together tomorrow vs. STL.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.