Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jason Peters
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
The kind of player you have to admire...found this on philly.com buried at the end of a Riley Cooper story...

Blocking tips from Peters

Jason Peters could block out the sun, but on Tuesday after practice, he cast a shadow on another Eagles player.

The all-pro left tackle was helping tight end Zach Ertz with his run blocking at the far end of the fields at the NovaCare Complex. It could have been one of the many players Peters has taken the time to coach over the last several years.

Quiet and, well, a little intimidating, Peters is one of the underrated leaders on the Eagles. He said he approached Ertz about some extra work after watching film of his recent attempts at run blocking.

"He's been struggling lately," Peters said. "In the initial attack, the bigger guys stone him and throw him at the last second and make the play. And some of [LeSean McCoy's] runs have been affected by that. So I was just trying to help him out."

Ertz was unavailable to comment on Peters' assistance, but undrafted rookie offensive lineman Kevin Graf said he considers the possible Hall of Famer a mentor.

"He was an undrafted guy, like me, and look where he is now," Graf said recently. "It shows that it can be done. . . . It means the world to me when you have someone like that by your side and talking you through a lot of things. One day I didn't have my best one-on-ones and he would sit there in a meeting and talk to me and say, 'Hey, do this, do this.' "

Peters has been to six Pro Bowls, four coming in each of his seasons with the Eagles. (He sat out all of 2012 with a ruptured Achilles tendon.) And yet, he has drifted under the radar and may not have been fully embraced by local fans until he stood up for Nick Foles after the QB was blindsided in the Redskins game.

Eagles coach Chip Kelly said that Peters doesn't shy away from giving pointers to defensive linemen on the types of moves that give him trouble.

"He's very quiet," Kelly said recently. "He's not a boisterous-type player, but his ability to get across his point to our younger guys has been huge for us."

Zero
Under the radar???
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 3 2014, 11:42 AM) *
Under the radar???

I'd agree - he's been an All-Pro in two of the last three seasons and injured the year he missed out.

Nice story though about his contribution behind the scenes.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 3 2014, 06:42 AM) *
Under the radar???

Yeah, that was a puzzling comment.

I can only guess he was referring to the fact that he isn't a loud mouth asshole who brings attention to himself (e.g., Cary Williams), because if you ask any Eagles fan who is and has been the best player on the O line since he arrived here in 2009, most if not all of them would immediately say Jason Peters.
Eyrie
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Oct 3 2014, 07:34 PM) *
Yeah, that was a puzzling comment.

I can only guess he was referring to the fact that he isn't a loud mouth asshole who brings attention to himself (e.g., Cary Williams), because if you ask any Eagles fan who is and has been the best player on the O line since he arrived here in 2009, most if not all of them would immediately say Jason Peters.

I'd go further and say that he's our second best player on offense after McCoy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.