Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles Extra
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
RB responsibility on that play was............

1st round pick Marcus Smith!

He only played 7 snaps, but he makes them memorable!

Diddy shows how he is there watching Gore and just leaves his post.
mcnabbulous
He also did a really nice job covering Vernon Davis when he was in the game.

Rookies make mistakes (especially when they are playing a position they've been practicing for one week). Counting on them will get you in trouble.

Not really sure why people have such fucked up expectations for this guy. How many rookies are having really positive impacts for their team? Maybe 3?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 1 2014, 09:25 AM) *
Not really sure why people have such fucked up expectations for this guy.

Because he was a first rounder, who obviously had no business being a first rounder.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 1 2014, 12:41 PM) *
Because he was a first rounder, who obviously had no business being a first rounder.

So you only think first rounders are worthy of their draft position if they are positive contributors from day one?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 1 2014, 01:43 PM) *
So you only think first rounders are worthy of their draft position if they are positive contributors from day one?

It was day 1 months ago. He's a first rounder and has to deal with inflated expectations - and he's been terrible, that cross-field play for a td was a disgrace and ended up meaning the game.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 1 2014, 12:49 PM) *
It was day 1 months ago. He's a first rounder and has to deal with inflated expectations - and he's been terrible, that cross-field play for a td was a disgrace and ended up meaning the game.

It was the first play of the second quarter. We proceeded to score 14 unanswered points and take an 11 point lead. You are the dumbest person on this board.

He's a rookie. Playing a position he began practicing within the past two weeks. He'll be fine.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 1 2014, 01:55 PM) *
It was the first play of the second quarter. We proceeded to score 14 unanswered points and take an 11 point lead. You are the dumbest person on this board.

He's a rookie. Playing a position he began practicing within the past two weeks. He'll be fine.

It was 2nd and 17 - and it was a 55 yard play that should never happen in Madden, much less the NFL. It would've then been 3rd and 17, if he didn't completely blow his coverage. Instead it was a touchdown.

Stop trying to justify your ignorance, and just admit he's already looking to be a bust. For christ's sakes, you already spend enough estrogen apologizing for Geno Smith and (still) Andy Reid.
make_it_rain
I havent looked at that play in detail..... are we sure the play was Smith's responsibility?

Smith graded out pretty meh for the two games he saw action in ..... -0.2 vs Wash and -0.1 against San Fran. I'd think if that play was entirely on him it would be reflected in his grade.

Granted, PFF is far from the gospel, but they would usually be quick to point out something like that and incorporate it into their grading.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Oct 1 2014, 02:08 PM) *
I havent looked at that play in detail..... are we sure the play was Smith's responsibility?

Smith graded out pretty meh for the two games he saw action in ..... -0.2 vs Wash and -0.1 against San Fran. I'd think if that play was entirely on him it would be reflected in his grade.

Granted, PFF is far from the gospel, but they would usually be quick to point out something like that and incorporate it into their grading.

Yeah, it's on him - according to Smith himself.

Maybe they factored in that Wolff completely whiffed on that tackle, but whatever. Smith on the play: “I was like, ‘Oh my god, that’s supposed to be my man,”

"I goofed."
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 1 2014, 01:06 PM) *
It was 2nd and 17 - and it was a 55 yard play that should never happen in Madden, much less the NFL. It would've then been 3rd and 17, if he didn't completely blow his coverage. Instead it was a touchdown.

Stop trying to justify your ignorance, and just admit he's already looking to be a bust.

I know you're a wannabe troll, but those guys usually bring a sense of intelligence and satire to a conversation.

Since make_it_rain used PFF, we can take a look at what they had to say about Lane Johnson's rookie year (although I think their numbers are generally arbitrary).

"Like his colleagues, Johnson got off to a slow start, but after posting a -12.7 first-half grade, he finished at +12.9 over his last eight games, plus a +2.0 effort in the Eagles’ Wild Card game."

Hey, what do you know. The guy we drafted with the 4th pick in the draft was really shitty through much of his first season.

But yeah, you can declare Smith a bust after 4 games. No other rookies were responsible for any fuckups this past weekend, I'm sure.

"[Surefire first round pick, Calvin] Pryor and converted safety Antonio Allen, now a cornerback, combined to allow the Lions' first touchdown -- a 59-yard deep ball to Jeremy Ross."
What a bust!

For christ's sakes, you already spend enough estrogen apologizing for Geno Smith and (still) Andy Reid.

Every prediction I've made about Reid has come to fruition. Expect the same as it relates to Smith.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 1 2014, 02:30 PM) *
Every prediction I've made about Reid has come to fruition. Expect the same as it relates to Smith.

laugh.gif

What, like how he would improve on a 2-14 Chiefs team loaded with All-Pros, while facing one of the easiest NFL schedules in recent memory? Everyone here expected that, though almost everyone (minus the apologists) recognizes that his obvious flaws will prevent him from ever winning a Super Bowl - those flaws which you continue to defend despite all logic and reasoning working against you, like calling timeout after the 2 minute warning, or calling an 80% passing game plan.

But hey, if you stick to vague predictions, you'll end up being right quite as bit and can use the search engine to point it out to all of us, like a 5 year old proud of predicting a sunrise in the morning. I would give up on Geno Smith though, you're going to get a lot of crap for that one for a long time. It's best not to add Marcus Smith to your long list of retarded predictions until he can play 7 snaps without giving up a 55 yard cross-field pass on 2nd and 17.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 1 2014, 02:19 PM) *
Yeah, it's on him - according to Smith himself.

Maybe they factored in that Wolff completely whiffed on that tackle, but whatever. Smith on the play: “I was like, ‘Oh my god, that’s supposed to be my man,”

"I goofed."

Gotcha. I really wasn't sure. Smith surely hasn't flashed, but I think its still way to early to declare him a bust.

On the plus side, we activated Jake Knott today since his suspension is over. That (hopefully) means the end of Casey Matthews cool.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 1 2014, 03:47 PM) *
laugh.gif

What, like how he would improve on a 2-14 Chiefs team loaded with All-Pros, while facing one of the easiest NFL schedules in recent memory? Everyone here expected that, though almost everyone (minus the apologists) recognizes that his obvious flaws will prevent him from ever winning a Super Bowl - those flaws which you continue to defend despite all logic and reasoning working against you, like calling timeout after the 2 minute warning, or calling an 80% passing game plan.

You predicted his team would win 6 or fewer games. I predicted playoffs. You also pussed out on our bet/agreement almost instantly.

1-0 McNabbulous

I also predicted that his team would be more balanced with a QB that could move the chains more consistently. That happened last year and is continuing to happen this year. Similar to the Garcia-led Eagles.

2-0 McNabbulous

But hey, if you stick to vague predictions, you'll end up being right quite as bit and can use the search engine to point it out to all of us, like a 5 year old proud of predicting a sunrise in the morning.

Vague? I am anything but. You can search just about any topic on this board and look for yourself. I never shy away from a prediction, especially about draft picks.

• I was right about Shady when most everyone else wanted Knowshon
  • I was right about Reid not being a good FO leader, when everyone wanted him fired as coach and promoted exclusively to GM.
  • I was right about Brandon Graham not being worthy of a first round pick. I'm glad to see he's starting to make an impact as a situational player though.
  • I was right about Danny Watkins being a dog-shit draft pick.
  • I was right that Shanahan would be forced to pass at significantly higher rates when playing McNabb at QB.

I could probably go on and on.

I would give up on Geno Smith though, you're going to get a lot of crap for that one for a long time.

I'll ultimately be proven right about Geno Smith, once he gets more playing time, is surrounded by even a little offensive talent, and gets competent coaching.

The guy has great composure, which is the most important trait of a successful QB. His accuracy is more than sufficient, and he's got a very good arm. He needs to cut down on his mistakes, but a lot of that has to do with forcing things because his the talent around him is so bad.

But you guys keep giving me grief 1/4 of the way into his second season. It will be nice to pull all these back up in a few years when he's having major successes.

It's best not to add Marcus Smith to your long list of retarded predictions until he can play 7 snaps without giving up a 55 yard cross-field pass on 2nd and 17.

It really must suck to be constantly rooting for guys on your favorite team to fail. To justify your terrible understanding of the game. Especially 4 games into their career.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 1 2014, 05:58 PM) *
You predicted his team would win 6 or fewer games. I predicted playoffs. You also pussed out on our bet/agreement almost instantly.

1-0 McNabbulous

I also predicted that his team would be more balanced with a QB that could move the chains more consistently. That happened last year and is continuing to happen this year. Similar to the Garcia-led Eagles.

2-0 McNabbulous

Vague? I am anything but. You can search just about any topic on this board and look for yourself. I never shy away from a prediction, especially about draft picks.

• I was right about Shady when most everyone else wanted Knowshon
  • I was right about Reid not being a good FO leader, when everyone wanted him fired as coach and promoted exclusively to GM.
  • I was right about Brandon Graham not being worthy of a first round pick. I'm glad to see he's starting to make an impact as a situational player though.
  • I was right about Danny Watkins being a dog-shit draft pick.
  • I was right that Shanahan would be forced to pass at significantly higher rates when playing McNabb at QB.

I could probably go on and on.

I'll ultimately be proven right about Geno Smith, once he gets more playing time, is surrounded by even a little offensive talent, and gets competent coaching.

The guy has great composure, which is the most important trait of a successful QB. His accuracy is more than sufficient, and he's got a very good arm. He needs to cut down on his mistakes, but a lot of that has to do with forcing things because his the talent around him is so bad.

But you guys keep giving me grief 1/4 of the way into his second season. It will be nice to pull all these back up in a few years when he's having major successes.

It really must suck to be constantly rooting for guys on your favorite team to fail. To justify your terrible understanding of the game. Especially 4 games into their career.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Oct 1 2014, 05:18 PM) *
On the plus side, we activated Jake Knott today since his suspension is over. That (hopefully) means the end of Casey Matthews cool.gif

Why do I get the feeling that Casey Matthews will be on this team for years to come?

As for Smith, I'm usually not one to jump the gun on players and declare them busts early in their careers. However, he's been beyond terrible, and certain things can't be coached and have nothing to do with experience (like being 30 yards away from the man you're supposed to cover). He isn't even on the defensive stat sheet so far this year, while Kelce, Cooper, Ertz, and Maclin are all there. He's looking to be more of a victim of where he was drafted, a la FredEx.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.