Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What in your opinion, makes football, far and away the...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
SAM I Am
most popular sport of the big 4 in this country?

There are a few things that make it my favorite sport, but I won't list them all. I'll state just one of them, because I want to hear what you all have to say, which I am sure will also make my list.

For me one of the things that makes it my favorite sport is that unlike the other 3 sports --- where they play like a million games in the regular season --- in football, since there are only 18 regular season games, every game is crucial in attaining the big prize, unlike in the other 3 sports where if you drop a couple of games here and there, eh, no biggie, we still have 50 more games to make it up.

Input please.

nephillymike
I I'll only list one here, and let others chime in.

The strategy, the x and o's and team coordination of plays fascinates me.

It allows coaching to make more of a difference in football and gives a place for intelligent design of strategy.
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 19 2014, 08:37 PM) *

It allows coaching to make more of a difference in football and gives a place for intelligent design of strategy.

Tennis has my head going back and forth tracking the ball.
Basketball has my head going back and forth as they go up and down the court.
Baseball is better on the radio. (I'm serious, try it sometime)
Hockey is MMA with pads and a little puck
Golf is...well...I doubt I have to explain that one on a football forum.
Soccer I just don't get. I guess I'm just not seeing what the rest of the world is seeing.
I used to enjoy heavyweight boxing until all the talent went away.
Wrestling (yeah, I know) was fun back in the eighties, before it got grungy.
I don't follow horse racing (although I did watch Secretariat win the Belmont, and even though I was just eleven I could sense I was watching history happen)
I've even went through a phase where I tried to watch cricket, but I never could figure it out.

So that leaves football. It's simply the most viewable sport for me. It is regimented yet chaotic....like chess played with brute muscle. Strategy matters, but so do the players. They attack through the air and on the ground, and there are some pretty fine hits from time to time too. There are goal line stands, and great comebacks. It just has it all.

JaxEagle
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Sep 19 2014, 11:15 PM) *
It's simply the most viewable sport for me.

I like many other sports as well or better for watching live or playing. Football is far and away most viewable on TV and that is the main reason it is tops. There are many other contributing reasons as to why Football is tops but first and foremost is it being the best game for TV.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Sep 19 2014, 08:49 PM) *
most popular sport of the big 4 in this country?

There are a few things that make it my favorite sport, but I won't list them all. I'll state just one of them, because I want to hear what you all have to say, which I am sure will also make my list.

For me one of the things that makes it my favorite sport is that unlike the other 3 sports --- where they play like a million games in the regular season --- in football, since there are only 18 regular season games, every game is crucial in attaining the big prize, unlike in the other 3 sports where if you drop a couple of games here and there, eh, no biggie, we still have 50 more games to make it up.

Input please.

I'm sure we have all the same reasons, so one that's a little more obscure: you have absolutely no idea what's going to happen at the beginning of the season, and each weekend. Any game can have a historical performance, an upset, an injury that changes a team's entire year, etc.
Dreagon
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Sep 20 2014, 09:43 AM) *
I like many other sports as well or better for watching live or playing. Football is far and away most viewable on TV and that is the main reason it is tops. There are many other contributing reasons as to why Football is tops but first and foremost is it being the best game for TV.

Agreed. I've been to one NFL game in person, and I'm really not all that eager to repeat the experience. It was okay, but a living room with a big screen TV is better and the hot dogs and popcorn a lot more affordable.
Birdman420
It's the modern day equivalent to ancient rome's gladiators in the colosseum.

I guess you could argue now that MMA might be a more fitting comparison but it attracts a lot less people live.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 19 2014, 09:37 PM) *

Great answer! Love the nuts (X's) and bolts (O's) of the the game. With that said, I know you have got to like the "Eagles Game Plan" show every Saturday on 6 ABC. Strategy is the name of the game.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Sep 20 2014, 07:07 PM) *
Agreed. I've been to one NFL game in person, and I'm really not all that eager to repeat the experience. It was okay, but a living room with a big screen TV is better and the hot dogs and popcorn a lot more affordable.

Yeah, it can be great sitting in the comfort of your own home with your big screen TV, in a climate-controlled environment, chowing down on food that isn't outrageously priced.

But, the atmosphere being at the game is such a fun fan experience. I actually like being out in the elements, especially snow games!

Also, unlike on television, you get to view the entire field of play --- provided you aren't sitting too low --- and get to see how the entire play unfolds and each players assignment (back to the X's and O's), and besides that, there are two giant screens in each endzone that you can watch that the network feed is piped into.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Sep 20 2014, 07:40 PM) *
It's the modern day equivalent to ancient rome's gladiators in the colosseum.

I guess you could argue now that MMA might be a more fitting comparison but it attracts a lot less people live.

Ah yes, the primal factor. Big part of the game!
nephillymike
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Sep 21 2014, 11:09 AM) *
Great answer! Love the nuts (X's) and bolts (O's) of the the game. With that said, I know you have got to like the "Eagles Game Plan" show every Saturday on 6 ABC. Strategy is the name of the game.

Is that show available on demand?

I have been missing it.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 21 2014, 12:27 PM) *
Is that show available on demand?

I have been missing it.

I don't think you can get "On Demand", but I could be wrong.

I know 6 ABC runs it a couple of times on Saturday. To make sure I don't miss it, I DVR it.
nephillymike
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Sep 21 2014, 11:49 AM) *
I don't think you can get "On Demand", but I could be wrong.

I know 6 ABC runs it a couple of times on Saturday. To make sure I don't miss it, I DVR it.

I watched it last night.

Good show!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.