Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Few Random Thoughts on Last Night's Game
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Overall, a great win.

The Seahawks and Broncos both went into that building last year and came out with a loss, as did 13 of 16 teams in Luck's first two years.

That team has never lost twice in a row under Luck until last night.

The ebb and flow of the NFL, that was a great win.

This offense leads the NFL in points and Yards.

As I ramble on below, don't lose sight of the truths above:

Foles still doesn't look comfortable. Despite very good pass protection, his feet are not set most plays.

It doesn't look like he is seeing the whole field.

Besides being off and throwing the ball behind some people too often, he is not seeing a bunch of open guys.

Cooper, Maclin, Matthews and Celek all dropped balls that should have been caught. Celek and Cooper for TD's.

Foles ranks 19th in passer rating but is 2nd in passing yards.

On that late game run by Foles, he needs to put his head down and angle his body for the 1st down. The first three quarters, I'm OK with the baseball slide. In crunch time, get me the fucking 1st down. It was a wimp move and left us in a 3rd and 1 we didn't get instead of a 1st and 10.

Kudos to Kelly and Gardner who played well. No sacks for Indy! And to think Gardner is actually our third backup OT behind Barbre and the annoyingly still injured Tobin. Good move picking up OG Wade.

Jordan Matthews is disappointing. Drops in the game, drops in the pregame warm ups they said. Drops were his criticism on his scouting report.

Maclin has got to make sure that ball isn't intercepted. Great play by the DB, but if you want the QB to trust you to go get it, you need to make sure the other guy doesn't.

Darren Sproles.................WOW. Chip's got a new toy and he intends to use it. Did you see the poor OLB trying to cover him on that one play? He dropped his jock at mid field and didn't come close to reacting to Sproles move.

Cox is really getting good. Another top notch game.

I like this D. They seem to be playing cohesively. The Eagles were basically playing the same D as the NO game the difference being when we are in nickel this year sans Chung, we actually cover people and don't have the constant miss communication. BTW, Chung still starts for NE. Go figure.

Pray Kendrick comes back soon. Long and Goode are out for the season. Matthews is horrendous. We got no depth there which is self inflicted as we didn't draft the spot, nor fill in via UDFA.

Luck, most overrated QB since the first 90% of Elway's career. He has all the tools and he may get a bunch better, but he needs to get a bunch better IMO.

Can we put our best CB's on the field please. And no, Sconces is not in the top three.

Tough game Sunday. Skins had 10 sacks last week and Cousins is better than RG3. I won't predict the loss as others have, but I think we will be praying to the gods of our choice at the end of this one.

2-0 baybee. Move along, nothing to see here.........................................
koolaidluke
That was a lot of stuff but I'll try to respond to as much as I can

1. Foles not looking comfortable: He always looks uncomfortable but I don't think it's a big deal. I thought last night was the best I ever saw him play since the Giants game last year.

2. Agree with you on the drops, don't know what the problem was

3. Jordan Matthews wasn't just criticized coming out of college for drops, he was criticized for not being very good, which he isn't. Some picks just don't work out and he's one of them.

4. I think Luck is better than he looked last night. I think last night was a mixture of early season suckage, good Eagles defense and an ultra conservative game plan.

To me the real story of the game was how great Indy's defensive game plan was. They stuffed the run and completely shut down the middle of the field and forced Foles to throw to the outside. Great plan and really well executed. If the Eagles can drop 30 points on a team that is using the perfect anti-Eagles game plan, then that says a lot about the Eagles offense.
Zero
Let' not forget some recognition for the FA not named Byrd ... Jenkins is proving a good signing.
HobbEs
I was going to post this yesterday about Foles...

To me he certainly doesn't look like the same QB we saw at the end of last year. Is it the pressure of repeating last year's performance that's got him trying too hard? Or could it be that he's in a contract year?

Thoughts?
mcnabbulous
Luck is amazing. He's burdened by having some of the worst offensive coaches in football. Defensive head coaches are routinely cancerous to QB's. His success to date is largely a reflection of just how good he is.

If Chip had a guy with Luck's talent, I can't even begin to imagine how dynamic our offense would be.

Also, our receivers suck.
Phits
Agreed, Andrew Luck is overrated.

Foles is playing like how he played to close out last season. Another couple of games should tell us which is the real Foles. Hopefully it is somewhere in the middle between the excellent player (for most of last season) to the 'decent' QB from his last 4 starts.

The INT late in the first half was a thing of beauty. The pass was short (could have used a little more distance) Maclin had the steps and had to slow down as a result the db made up the ground in a proverbial "flash". Can't fault #18 for that one.

Video LINK
Birdman420
1. Foles looks rattled half the time and completely unsure of himself, I was holding my breathe every 3rd down.

2. Cooper stood out to me as the guy who missed the most opportunities, he's invisible right now

3. I'm worried about the loss of Kendricks, please come back soon

4. Disagree on the CB's, Williams had one hell of a game with amazing deflections and great tackling, Boykin looked like he was 3 steps behind whomever he was covering all game.

5. The drops from the Wr's is worrisome, They have to fix that if they are going to compete against the better teams.

6. Ertz looks amazing, I can't wait to see more from him.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 17 2014, 10:04 AM) *

They got open deep a few times. Didn't actually catch the ball, but still.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 17 2014, 09:54 AM) *
They got open deep a few times. Didn't actually catch the ball, but still.

That's one of those underrated elements of the position.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 16 2014, 10:46 PM) *
Kudos to Kelly and Gardner who played well. No sacks for Indy! And to think Gardner is actually our third backup OT behind Barbre and the annoyingly still injured Tobin. Good move picking up OG Wade.

Also, remember this next time everyone wants to get that surefire all-pro OL at the top of the first round.

You don't need great OL. You need good enough. I'm not even sure Gardner even fits that criteria, but he was enough to beat a playoff caliber team on the road.

Drafting OL top-10 is stupid.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 17 2014, 12:42 PM) *
Also, remember this next time everyone wants to get that surefire all-pro OL at the top of the first round.

You can also put regular gas in your Ferrari, but it runs significantly better with premium petrol.

You don't need great OL. You need good enough. I'm not even sure Gardner even fits that criteria, but he was enough to beat a playoff caliber team on the road.

That playoff caliber team is 0-2. It's 2014 not 2013, last season matters not.

Drafting OL top-10 is stupid.

The draft is stupid. College players are all a crap shoot.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 17 2014, 07:04 AM) *
Luck is amazing. He's burdened by having some of the worst offensive coaches in football. Defensive head coaches are routinely cancerous to QB's. His success to date is largely a reflection of just how good he is.

I'd like to believe he's overrated but he's not and has showed it

If Chip had a guy with Luck's talent, I can't even begin to imagine how dynamic our offense would be.

Superbowl Contenders

Couldn't catch a cold in the winter time
xsv
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 17 2014, 05:10 PM) *
You can also put regular gas in your Ferrari, but it runs significantly better with premium petrol.

That playoff caliber team is 0-2. It's 2014 not 2013, last season matters not.

The draft is stupid. College players are all a crap shoot.

+1
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 17 2014, 04:10 PM) *

Well sure, but that's not really the point of the conversation. The point is that you can thrive even when starting a 3rd string OT.

I think we'd all be a bit more than concerned if Casey Matthews was a starting MLB for the rest of the season...
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 17 2014, 05:48 PM) *
Well sure, but that's not really the point of the conversation. The point is that you can thrive even when starting a 3rd string OT.

I think we'd all be a bit more than concerned if Casey Matthews was a starting MLB for the rest of the season...

depends on who is coaching those bckups.

we had injuries in 2012 on the OL and the season was shot.

It's Kelly's system and the training that has made the backup OL so good.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 17 2014, 08:13 PM) *
depends on who is coaching those bckups.

we had injuries in 2012 on the OL and the season was shot.

It's Kelly's system and the training that has made the backup OL so good.

Yes, it's definitely Kelly's system. But my point isn't really about backups. We shouldn't be striving to have backups playing. Assuming we have starting caliber OL, we would be more than fine. There is no need for "superstar" OL. Those guys don't win games. Playmakers at key positions win games.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 17 2014, 06:23 PM) *
Playmakers at key positions win games.

Darren Sproles agrees with you...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.