Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remember All Those Years Me Bitching About Pass Happy AR
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
D's never needed to be concerned about our run that much, our play action was a joke, both in fundamentals and intent.

Take a look at this game tape from Chip Kelly and Ike Reese.

What a difference.

I often wonder how good McNabb could have been if the defenses had to play honest and respect the run, and the DL had to be concerned about the run. We'll never know.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/art...4e-a3caa07aaf3a

BTW, Chips's comment about a lot of fans liking the last TD was a reference to the point spread that they covered with that score!!
Zero
My memory is that teams did respect the run before TOO. It was after Reid saw the possibilities of quick strike air attacks that he moved on from the Three Headed Monster.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 14 2014, 10:19 AM) *
My memory is that teams did respect the run before TOO. It was after Reid saw the possibilities of quick strike air attacks that he moved on from the Three Headed Monster.

You're correct, but for the wrong reasons. Before TO, McNabb WAS the run threat - while it seems more runs may have been called in the early days (who knows, I'm not checking right now), there were a hell of a lot more successful QB sneaks. By the end of '05 with no TO and McNabb out, his legs were never the same.

koolaidluke
McNabb didn't have a coach who ran the ball in Washington? What about in Minni?

The idea that Reid held back McNabb is total bullshit. Reid made McNabb, not the other way around.

It was impossible to run the ball with McNabb because the guy couldn't sustain drives. Reid ran plenty with Garcia, Feeley, Detmer, Vick and is now running plenty with Smith out in KC.
SAM I Am
Eagles Game Plan (on the local 6ABC channel) is the best damn Eagles show on TV!

First time I heard of fumbles being categorized, by Chipper, as being either a "country" fumble, or a "city" fumble.

Country fumble - nobody in the immediate area of the lose ball except for one guy. In his example, it was the fumble recovery for a TD by Fletcher Cox in which he did state correctly that at that point in the game, you don't scoop and go. You just cover it up. Normally, you would scoop and go.

City fumble - the opposite of the country fumble --- could that have been more obvious rolleyes.gif --- where the ball is on the ground with a lot of traffic around, and the player is supposed to just pounce on it; not attempt to scoop it up and run with it.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 14 2014, 12:49 PM) *
It was impossible to run the ball with McNabb because the guy couldn't sustain drives. Reid ran plenty with Garcia, Feeley, Detmer, Vick and is now running plenty with Smith out in KC.

You're an idiot.
koolaidluke
Tell you what boss: you give me a time and place and I'd be more than happy to fuck you up. I think it would make you feel better.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 14 2014, 01:47 PM) *
Tell you what boss: you give me a time and place and I'd be more than happy to fuck you up. I think it would make you feel better.

Ok, come up the stairs from the basement when mom is in the shower and we'll have it out. Be sure to knock first.
koolaidluke
That's what I thought. I got something for you:

http://globalnerdy.com/wordpress/wp-conten...uy-magazine.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 14 2014, 02:20 PM) *
That's what I thought. I got something for you:

http://globalnerdy.com/wordpress/wp-conten...uy-magazine.gif

laugh.gif

Figures you subscribe to Delta-male monthly.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 14 2014, 08:57 AM) *
D's never needed to be concerned about our run that much, our play action was a joke, both in fundamentals and intent.

Take a look at this game tape from Chip Kelly and Ike Reese.

What a difference.

I often wonder how good McNabb could have been if the defenses had to play honest and respect the run, and the DL had to be concerned about the run. We'll never know.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/art...4e-a3caa07aaf3a

BTW, Chips's comment about a lot of fans liking the last TD was a reference to the point spread that they covered with that score!!

The funny thing was, watching Andy yesterday with the Chiefs, he was running the ball at an un-Andy-like clip.
At one point the Donkeys had more than 2x more passing yards than the Chiefs, not just because of the Peyton/D. Thomas factor, but because Alex Smith was handing it off to #34 all game.

oh, and if McNabb ever was in a balanced offense, we wouldn't have to hear a bunch of onion-breathed assholes slandering him because he would have more rings than Eli "Worst QB in the NFL" Manning.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Sep 15 2014, 02:47 PM) *
oh, and if McNabb ever was in a balanced offense, we wouldn't have to hear a bunch of onion-breathed assholes slandering him because he would have more rings than Eli "Worst QB in the NFL" Manning.

Precisely, which is what we've been saying for as long as I can remember. It's annoying to no end when idiot hater douchebags slander him, making things up like he couldn't sustain drives or complete passes. The stats and our record when Andy ran the ball with McNabb/Vick speak for themselves. When McNabb went down he would give balanced attacks to far inferior QB's like Garcia and Feeley, and we would win, that was how well suited our offense was for a balanced attack. Then he comes back, and it's 50 passes a game again, and we still win most of the time but not against elite teams.

*sigh*
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 14 2014, 11:49 AM) *

The idea that Reid held back McNabb is total bullshit. Reid made McNabb, not the other way around.

Regardless of what kind of information is presented, these guys will refuse to acknowledge this fact.

Only once (2005) did McNabb throw more passes per game than his one year in Washington. With "run happy" Mike Shanahan.

Conversely, he never averaged fewer attempts than his time in Minnesota. He was benched after leading them to a 1-5 record.
Phits
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 14 2014, 12:49 PM) *

You mean the past his prime McNabb who was 2 years away from retiring? Shanahan wanted a mobile QB who could do the things Nabby did in his "hey day". You can see the proof with how Shanahan used RG3 and ruined his career. By the time #5 got to Minny it was over and done. He didn't have the drive, passion or will to succeed.

That's just not true. McNabb's success came from his improvisational ability. Reid didn't coach that. When AR decided that the team needed a WR threat he went all pass happy and ushered in the pass...pass...pass era. He coached the mobility right out of McNabb.

Looking at the stats/numbers doesn't tell the whole picture. Westbrook was an underused resource and only started to flourish when McNabb's skills started to diminish.

koolaidluke
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 15 2014, 05:11 PM) *
Regardless of what kind of information is presented, these guys will refuse to acknowledge this fact.

It's not just them. It's every pundit/fan in the league. Having McNabb lead his offense for so many years gave him the reputation of a guy who never runs and he has never been able to shake that rep.

what's funny is reading other teams fans complaining about their coaches not running the ball enough. It seems like most fans believe that if a coach calls 4 more running plays a game that their team will be unbeatable. Even when the Eagles lose games now the first thing you here is fans blaming Chip for abandoning the run.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 15 2014, 07:21 PM) *
That's just not true. McNabb's success came from his improvisational ability. Reid didn't coach that. When AR decided that the team needed a WR threat he went all pass happy and ushered in the pass...pass...pass era. He coached the mobility right out of McNabb.

You're trying to reason with an idiot who has said that McNabb was never a top-30 QB. It's pointless. Reid's 2 greatest decisions ever were drafting McNabb, and hiring Jim Johnson. The stats have always spoken for themselves - when we ran a balanced attack, we won. When we put the entire game on McNabb/Vick passing to Stallworth, Jackson, and Maclin, the skill of our team made up for it most of the time, but couldn't get the job done against elite teams. To this day, Andy's record against playoff teams is less than .500.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 15 2014, 11:21 PM) *
You mean the past his prime McNabb who was 2 years away from retiring? Shanahan wanted a mobile QB who could do the things Nabby did in his "hey day". You can see the proof with how Shanahan used RG3 and ruined his career. By the time #5 got to Minny it was over and done. He didn't have the drive, passion or will to succeed.

Looking at the stats/numbers doesn't tell the whole picture. Westbrook was an underused resource and only started to flourish when McNabb's skills started to diminish.

Reid didn't "coach the mobility" out of mcnabb. Dunuvin took it upon himself to get fat to take the pounding. So too he was scared to death of the label of "running quarterback."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.