Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This Ray Rice Situation
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
You see him drag his fiancÚ unconscious out of the elevator.

He admits, in the police report that he punched her and knocked her out.

Goodell knew both of these things when he ruled.

He gets two games suspension for that. Later, the commish increases the penalty for others who follow suit to six games.

What did they expect the video to show?.

Why the change of heart?

With the exception of PED's and betting, I think athlete's should be treated the same as the rest of us' no better, no worse. In the state of nj, he would have been charged with assault and put on probation.

Meanwhile a person tried and found guilty of spousal assault this year played on Sunday. DE Hardy for the Panthers. No suspension, no fine.

Go figure.
Phits
It's a PR play. The backlash from the public, after seeing the video, was going to be monumental.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 9 2014, 08:59 PM) *
You see him drag his fiancÚ unconscious out of the elevator.

He admits, in the police report that he punched her and knocked her out.

Goodell knew both of these things when he ruled.

He gets two games suspension for that. Later, the commish increases the penalty for others who follow suit to six games.

What did they expect the video to show?.

Why the change of heart?

With the exception of PED's and betting, I think athlete's should be treated the same as the rest of us' no better, no worse. In the state of nj, he would have been charged with assault and put on probation.

Meanwhile a person tried and found guilty of spousal assault this year played on Sunday. DE Hardy for the Panthers. No suspension, no fine.

Go figure.

HOUSEoPAIN
koolaidluke
Ray Rice's woman is fucking hot. I was really surprised.

And of course she is standing by her man. What a cliche.
Eyrie
Phits nailed it - the only thing that changed was the public reaction.
nephillymike
Any chance that Goodell heard about the possible release of the tape and THAT was the reason for his change of heart from 2 games to 6 games?

He's done.

He just got caught in a lie and couldn't turn back.

If he came out and said that his inclination was to give four games but after meeting with Mrs Rice, he decided to lighten the suspension to two, and then cited the current law in these situations and stood by it, he would have been in a better spot.

Dude on 975 said that over 50 NFL players have domestic abuse issues and if he swept teams of those players it would be very dicey issue.
HOUSEoPAIN
Any chance that Goodell heard about the possible release of the tape and THAT was the reason for his change of heart from 2 games to 6 games?

No. There was outcry after the Josh Gordon suspension about the inconsistency in punishments fitting the crime, to put it lightly. Goodell tried to save face by increasing the suspension. There was absolutely no fucking way the NFL and the Ravens didn't see that video from the get-go.

Dude on 975 said that over 50 NFL players have domestic abuse issues and if he swept teams of those players it would be very dicey issue.

No shit. As discussed many times on this board (time to tweak the pantywaists), colleges recruit from juvie, and it's a thug's game. The most violent sociopaths you can find often end up making the best football players. I would have a hell of a lot more respect for Goodell if he just came out and said that this isn't really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things considering the crap members of his league get involved in and where they come from. That's why I have mixed feelings on this. If McCoy cold cocked his bitch in an elevator, I highly doubt we'd be calling for a suspension. I think everyone saw the video and decided 2 games was justified - as I said, there was only outcry because this happened along with Gordon losing an entire year for marijuana.

Goodell tried to straddle the fence and have things both ways, and failed miserably. It may have cost him his job.
Dreagon
I think what leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the Ray Rice situation is how it went from one extreme to the other...and neither did the situation justice.

A two game suspension was an outrage. You didn't need a video of the event to know what happened in that elevator. Yet the league pretty much did what they thought was the minimum effort necessary to make the situation go away.

Then the video came out, and things went to the other extreme. I despise what Rice did, but the whole atmosphere in the events following that video reeked of a lynch mob.

Nowhere in that whole mess, either before or after, did I ever get the feeling that the situation was judged and handled on its own merits,
koolaidluke
The video wasn't as bad as I expected. I thought it was going to be an epic beatdown. In the video you see a shouting match with his fiancee aggressively approaching him as if to hit him and before she gets there he gives her a quick shot that puts her out.

It was his behavior after she was out that made me kind of uncomfortable because he no longer had the excuse of acting out of rage.

What athletes do off the field is their own business. If what Rice did was so terrible then he needs to go to jail, but as long as he is a free man then there is no reason to not let him play.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Sep 12 2014, 09:54 AM) *
I think what leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the Ray Rice situation is how it went from one extreme to the other...and neither did the situation justice.

A two game suspension was an outrage. You didn't need a video of the event to know what happened in that elevator. Yet the league pretty much did what they thought was the minimum effort necessary to make the situation go away.

Then the video came out, and things went to the other extreme. I despise what Rice did, but the whole atmosphere in the events following that video reeked of a lynch mob.

Nowhere in that whole mess, either before or after, did I ever get the feeling that the situation was judged and handled on its own merits,

D,

Prior to seeing the video, I actually thought it went like this:

Inside the elevator, she opens up on him and attacks him. He retaliates by a hook which knocks her out cold.

The tape was suppressed from the public because it did not paint her in a good light.

She pleads with Goodell to a light sentence for her husband to be. He sees the tape and decides what would have been a four game suspension was justified in a lesser two game.

Obviously it didn't happen that way, but that was my thought process up till the recent news.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.