Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marcus Smith Set For "Limited Role" For Eagles
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JeeQ
The Eagles drafted linebacker Marcus Smith in the first round in hopes of boosting their pass rush, but it sounds like the Eagles will have to look elsewhere early in the season.

Coach Chip Kelly said during the preseason that Smith needed to be more productive if he was going to continue to get playing time and defensive coordinator Bill Davis indicated on Wednesday that the team hasn’t seen it yet. Davis said that Smith would be “in a limited role” on defense when the Eagles open up against the Jaguars.

That suggests Smith will be in the lineup and it will be interesting to see how the Eagles set their gameday roster. They have nine linebackers and it is unlikely that all of them will dress on gamedays. Smith has been backing up Connor Barwin at one outside linebacker spot with Brandon Graham and Bryan Braman on the depth chart behind Trent Cole on the other side, so it probably isn’t out of the question that the Eagles sit down one of their outside linebackers.

However they line up the pieces, a more consistent pass rush needs to arrive this season for the Eagles to build on last year’s division title.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/...ole-for-eagles/

Our luck continues...
mcnabbulous
What were you expecting? Did you think we drafted Lawrence Taylor?
JaxEagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 4 2014, 01:49 PM) *

Lol. I'm pretty sure we knew that wasn't the case. That's pretty much why most people questioned the pick.
HOUSEoPAIN
Our luck continues...

It's not really 'luck,' this one was just a bad pick. Nobody really expected Smith to be a great 1st rounder, after seeing him in a few preseason games I'd be happy if he ends up remaining on the team for a while and contributing a bit instead of becoming a total bust.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 4 2014, 10:49 AM) *

You know full well what I was expecting
mcnabbulous
What would you expect out of any OLB drafted in the 20's? When I look back on most drafts, those guys don't have an impact their rookie year. It's the nature of the beast.

People shouldn't expect these guys to step on an NFL field and dominate (or even compete) right away. The game is a completely different speed, their athleticism is mitigated by the opposing talent, and they're learning a new scheme.

You should expect a jump from year 1 to year 2. If that doesn't happen, then you've got problems.
make_it_rain
I still dont think the decision to take smith was that bad, given what was available on the board at the time and lack of trading options. I guess you could make a case for taking someone like Bradley Roby, but outside of that who else was there? Deonne Bucannon? Jimmie Ward?

Safety and a passrushing OLB were the two biggest needs heading into the draft, so if they pass on Marcus Smith and take someone like Jimmie Ward we'd have still heard the same cries of reaching for a second round player at a position of need.

Everything basically blew up once the Saints leapfrogged us for Cooks, and the Packers snagged Clinton Dix. If you want to make the argument that they should have stayed at 22 and taken someone like Dennard, fine, but personally I think we got a good deal on the trade, and once pick 26 rolls around, who else is there on the board?

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Sep 4 2014, 03:20 PM) *
I still dont think the decision to take smith was that bad, given what was available on the board at the time and lack of trading options.

Of course it wasn't. Some people just bitch for the sake of bitching. Smith is a rookie who is playing like a rookie. I'm not sure when things changed that people expect day-1 impact, but it's an unrealistic expectation.

The guy has tons of upside and the game just needs to slow down a bit for him. They're already saying that he's much more comfortable dropping in coverage than rushing the passer, which is a plus in my opinion. We haven't had too many guys with that skillset in a while.
nephillymike
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Sep 4 2014, 03:20 PM) *
I still dont think the decision to take smith was that bad, given what was available on the board at the time and lack of trading options. I guess you could make a case for taking someone like Bradley Roby, but outside of that who else was there? Deonne Bucannon? Jimmie Ward?

Safety and a passrushing OLB were the two biggest needs heading into the draft, so if they pass on Marcus Smith and take someone like Jimmie Ward we'd have still heard the same cries of reaching for a second round player at a position of need.

Everything basically blew up once the Saints leapfrogged us for Cooks, and the Packers snagged Clinton Dix. If you want to make the argument that they should have stayed at 22 and taken someone like Dennard, fine, but personally I think we got a good deal on the trade, and once pick 26 rolls around, who else is there on the board?

I just thought we took a 3rd round talent in the 1st round. I wanted to trade down, but I thought Wr Lee in Round 1 and Olb Attaochu in round 2 was the way to go. Would be OK w/ Matthews in first. But Attaochu is buried on depth chart for SD so who knows. This is where Jackson's money in the bank does no good, but that horse is dead,
koolaidluke
I think Smith could be a decent Connor Barwin type, but he doesn't seem to offer much as a pass rusher. One of the negatives of playing a 3-4 is you end up with a few "Marcus Smith's".
HobbEs
You should expect a jump from year 1 to year 2. If that doesn't happen, then you've got problems

This. I'll even add that incremental progress during the season would be nice to see.

Some guys come in and set the world on fire. Some take a while before they start making an impact. The majority of rookies are in the 2nd group.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Sep 5 2014, 09:18 AM) *
Some guys come in and set the world on fire. Some take a while before they start making an impact. The majority of rookies are in the 2nd group.

the majority never amount to anything
mcnabbulous
If only we had drafted someone so NFL ready, like Ha Ha Clinton Dix...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014...-auburn-alabama
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 5 2014, 12:00 PM) *
If only we had drafted someone so NFL ready, like Ha Ha Clinton Dix...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014...-auburn-alabama

Then we'd be much better off. He had a pretty good game last night and picked up a sack, except of course for that one play where the SB champs faked out the entire Packers defense. I'll take the opinion of Dom Capers and Billy Davis over someone who thinks calling timeout after the 2 minute warning is a good idea. And their opinion says one is ready to start in the NFL, and one is pretty far off. *yawn*

Are you capable of making an intellectually honest point?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Sep 5 2014, 11:22 AM) *
Then we'd be much better off. He had a pretty good game last night and picked up a sack, except of course for that one play where the SB champs faked out the entire Packers defense. I'll take the opinion of Dom Capers and Billy Davis over someone who thinks calling timeout after the 2 minute warning is a good idea. And their opinion says one is ready to start in the NFL, and one is pretty far off. *yawn*

Are you capable of making an intellectually honest point?

He was terrible last night. But sure, buddy.

I'll take the opinion of Andy Reid, who knew the play call and defensive alignment, over a mouth breather like you.
JeeQ
HaHa Clinton-Dix is starting on the defense in his first NFL game... Marcus Smith is starting as the team's waterboy
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 5 2014, 01:16 PM) *
HaHa Clinton-Dix is starting on the defense in his first NFL game... Marcus Smith is starting as the team's waterboy

You realize that they didn't intend for him to start, right? When they drafted him and already had Cole and Barwin. There was never any intention of him starting.

Ha Ha Clinton Dix started and was so overwhelmed that he totally whiffed on a one-on-one tackle. Amongst several other mistakes throughout the game. He'll likely be fine as the season progresses, but he wouldn't be starting here either.

If you want to rest your hopes on a rookie starting on defense than you don't have too much hope for this team.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 5 2014, 02:16 PM) *

Starting for a SB contender at that.

But hey, his whole team got bamboozled on that on play, let's write him off to equate the two.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Sep 5 2014, 01:28 PM) *
Starting for a SB contender at that.

But hey, his whole team got bamboozled on that on play, let's write him off to equate the two.

Did you watch the play? He didn't get "bamboozled" -- he fucking whiffed on a routine tackle. It's almost like you have no clue what you're talking about.
mcnabbulous
Additionally, the vast majority of this board was wet with the thought of landing Dion Jordan in the offseason. Former #3 overall pick, Dion Jordan, who could barely sniff the field for a very mediocre Dolphins team.

Hell of a brain trust you guys got going on over there.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 5 2014, 02:32 PM) *
Did you watch the play? He didn't get "bamboozled" -- he fucking whiffed on a routine tackle. It's almost like you have no clue what you're talking about.

The whole team got fooled, including CD - then before you know it he's on his heels with Lockette barreling towards him, and he's absolutely the only player other than Lockette in a 20 yard radius. Most NFL starters have a hard time making that tackle, and yes he whiffed on it. You're using that one missed tackle to make up for your lack of an argument in justifying us drafting Marcus Smith in the 1st round, who looked like an empty suit against 3rd stringers in the preseason, while CD is starting for a Super Bowl contender. Just give it up.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 5 2014, 02:48 PM) *
Additionally, the vast majority of this board was wet with the thought of landing Dion Jordan in the offseason. Former #3 overall pick, Dion Jordan, who could barely sniff the field for a very mediocre Dolphins team.

Hell of a brain trust you guys got going on over there.

Yup, led by you. Here's what you posted about the prospect of getting Dion Jordan back in January.....

Total speculation on one writer's part, but that would be amazing. I didn't realize the Dolphins were playing him as a 4-3 end. That makes no sense.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/1/...olb-dion-jordan

I'd trade #22 in a heart beat for him.

laugh.gif

Again, when not using ridiculous straw man arguments to make up for your lack of a point, you're always just assuming people will concede the argument or not do the most basic amount of research to completely shatter everything you say. You would think after me kicking your teeth in all this time, you would learn. rolleyes.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Sep 5 2014, 02:00 PM) *
Yup, led by you. Here's what you posted about the prospect of getting Dion Jordan back in January.....

laugh.gif

Again, when not using ridiculous straw man arguments to make up for your lack of a point, you're always just assuming people will concede the argument or not do the most basic amount of research to completely shatter everything you say. You would think after me kicking your teeth in all this time, you would learn. rolleyes.gif

Yes, I would have traded for Dion Jordan. What's your point? The majority of this board was very much in agreement.

Are you even paying attention to what this conversation is about?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 5 2014, 03:04 PM) *
Yes, I would have traded for Dion Jordan. What's your point? The majority of this board was very much in agreement.

Are you even paying attention to what this conversation is about?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Knocks people who wanted Jordan.

Wanted Jordan.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Sep 5 2014, 02:08 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Knocks people who wanted Jordan.

Wanted Jordan.

Reading comprehension is hard.

Didn't knock people who wanted Jordan. Knocked people who wanted Jordan (despite the fact that he couldn't get on the field as a rookie) and are bitching and moaning that the guy we drafted 23 spots lower can't yet get on the field as a rookie.

If you can't acknowledge how dumb that is, well, we've been over this time and time again.
koolaidluke
why are you talking to this idiot?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 5 2014, 04:48 PM) *

Says 90% of the board every time someone responds to you.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 5 2014, 03:48 PM) *

Because stupidity and hypocrisy irritate me beyond belief. But yeah, I'm done with that. I've tried to block him in the past, but unfortunately there is a bug with that.

Obviously I need help though.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Sep 5 2014, 02:00 PM) *

laugh.gif

Ouch!

I think you need to edit the "you guys" to we!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 5 2014, 06:39 PM) *
Ouch!

I don't think you understood the point of my post. Yes, I wanted Jordan. Yes, I would still take him...regardless of his futility during his rookie year.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 5 2014, 07:39 PM) *
Ouch!

laugh.gif

Remember, you're talking about a guy who will to his dying day justify calling timeout after the 2 minute warning to validate his beliefs instead of realizing the truth. His biggest supporter here is an idiot who think the Seahawks and Eagles are the exact same skill level. Just enjoy the amusement of his denials.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Sep 5 2014, 10:31 PM) *
Remember, you're talking about a guy who will to his dying day justify calling timeout after the 2 minute warning to validate his beliefs instead of realizing the truth.

Just curious, if KC had converted would that have justified the time out?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 5 2014, 10:58 PM) *
Just curious, if KC had converted would that have justified the time out?

Calling a timeout after the 2 minute warning is never ok. It shows a complete lack of preparation and discipline, and is typical of the kind of terrible clock management we saw from him for 14 years. You have several minutes to draw up several different plays, adjustments, etc. It wasn't the worse thing ever (wasting the other two timeouts made it worse), but it's fun to watch Reid apologists flail their arms around and try to grasp at any straw they can to avoid facing the obvious truth about their dear leader.

The whole world got to see what Eagles fans had been bitching about for years. That game was vintage Andy - with a 28 point lead in the 3rd quarter, pass-pass-pass, don't keep the clock running, waste your timeouts, and ultimately collapse. It was as if the football gods decided to treat us to someone else's misery under his boneheaded coaching. But as they giveth, they taketh, when we lost later that day. Still was fun though.

"I goofed"
mcnabbulous
Yeah, I'd just about say the guy with the unhealthy Andy Reid obsession is probably the one that brings him up in the thread about our rookie OLB...and just about every thread.
God, this board fucking sucks these days
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 6 2014, 01:03 PM) *
God, this board fucking sucks these days

Perhaps there's room over at chiefsplanet.com - careful though, you'll likely bump into others who are eager to explain clock management to you. wink.gif
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Sep 6 2014, 12:03 PM) *
Calling a timeout after the 2 minute warning is never ok. It shows a complete lack of preparation and discipline, and is typical of the kind of terrible clock management we saw from him for 14 years. You have several minutes to draw up several different plays, adjustments, etc. It wasn't the worse thing ever (wasting the other two timeouts made it worse), but it's fun to watch Reid apologists flail their arms around and try to grasp at any straw they can to avoid facing the obvious truth about their dear leader.

If it was 3rd down you may have a valid argument. However, since it was 4th down using the timeout to make sure they had the right play/personnel in to execute is very reasonable. They appeared to have made the right decision. They ended up with Bowe matched up one-on-one versus Josh Gordy, a dream matchup for Kansas City, only for Bowe’s route to drift too far to the sideline, with Smith’s throw carrying him out of bounds. Better execution on that play and the Chiefs likely win. Poor execution cost them the game, not the time out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.