Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK, the season is upon us.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
At first glance, I had them at 9-7 which included the following 7 losses:

@ DAL, @NYG, vs. SEA, @Indy, @ GB, @ARI, @ SF.

However, of those seven losses, four teams are worse than they were thought to be a few months ago. Also, IMO, the Eagles D is better than I expected at this point. Still concerned about not going all out for it in FA, but I think there is another win among the seven losses. I figure they will take one win out of the five excluding SEA and GB.

10-6, NFC East Champs, hosting a WC game at the Linc.

What say you?

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 1 2014, 09:57 PM) *

However, of those seven losses, four teams are worse than they were thought to be a few months ago. Also, IMO, the Eagles D is better than I expected at this point. Still concerned about not going all out for it in FA, but I think there is another win among the seven losses. I figure they will take one win out of the five excluding SEA and GB.

What say you?

9-7 win the division, lose in the 1st round
Dreagon
Eagles = 10-6 and division champs. You guys have the overall most solid team.

Redskins = 9-7 and just misses wild card. Redskins got two star players from division rivals, and RGIII now has a deep threat he can throw bombs too.

Cowboys = 7-9 Romo just can't score enough points to cover for our dumpster fire of a defense. If a surprise star steps up and the defense gets a little better, we may get another year of 8-8. If Romo's back goes out, then we get the Brandon Weeden show and go 4-12.

Giants = 6-10 New OC and an Eli who seems to have lost it.
koolaidluke
Dreagon, not trying to be a dick but how, as a fan, do you endure supporting a team that you know is just going to be mediocre year after year?

The Eagles have had plenty of bad and even terrible seasons, but Eagles fans no matter what always have hope because the Eagles are such a great organization that we know they will always bounce back.

But you don't have that. You are in the same boat as Redskins fans and Browns fans. Your organization is so terrible that you know that while you might occasionally have a decent season, in the long run there is nothing but mediocrity for you.

I can understand Jags fans, because even though they suck, they at least have hope. How do you live (as a fan) with absolutely no hope that things will ever get better?
koolaidluke
10-6 win the division, lose in the first round.

The Eagles have an overrated offense and an underrated defense.
Zero
I think they have a chance of going to the NFCCG. They should win the division, hopefully get a first round bye and from there anything is possible.

The defense held them back last year. Most of the players were struggling to grasp the 3-4 and the pass protection was repeatedly Chunged. Players like Cox, Kendricks and Cole have a better feel for what they're doing and should be more instinctive. Dechunging the secondary and adding a leader who can make some plays will automatically keep opposing scoring down. The big question remains pass rush.

The offense was inconsistent but still dynamic. They're losing a deep threat but probably gaining some consistency and clock control. Replacing the quick score with deliberate progress should increase the stress on the opposing defenses and limit the opportunity for opposing offenses. It will also help keep the defense fresher.

If they find a pass rush they could go 11-5, 12-4. Likely not without JJing them with blitzes, so I'm guessing a strong 10-6.
CT_Eagle
10-6, division champs and they win a wild card game. It is all up to the defense at this point. I think the D will be better this year but not in the top half of the league. The offense should be top 3 in scoring this season.

All in all I am happy with the progress of the team this year. A little disappointed that they did not keep Josey . I think he has the potential to outperform Polk and in a few years would have been able to replace the aging Sproles. I plan to monitor his contributions in Jax this season.
koolaidluke
The defense held them back last year

The defense saved them or at least kept them in games last year against the Redskins, Cardinals, Cowboys and Saints when Foles and Co were running the "hurry up... back to the bench!" offense. The D completely shut down the Bears.

After the Broncos game the Eagles D allowed under 21 points a game.
Dreagon
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 2 2014, 03:43 AM) *
Dreagon, not trying to be a dick but how, as a fan, do you endure supporting a team that you know is just going to be mediocre year after year?

I can understand Jags fans, because even though they suck, they at least have hope. How do you live (as a fan) with absolutely no hope that things will ever get better?

Well, I know how awful this sounds...but hope is only a funeral away. If all the reports are true, and Stephen Jones was the force that kept us from drafting Manziel and had us take Martin instead, then at least there is the chance the next regime will be better. It will take time to undo all the damage Jerry has done - especially with his own fanbase (not the bandwagon fanbase) - but at least there will be hope.

But yeah, I figure Jerry is not going to decline gracefully and we'll end up with an Al Davis situation on our hands. Hell, we're practically there now. The only thing left is for him to start hiring and firing yes-men in a carousel of denial about what he has done to this franchise. I'm sure ESPN is going to love that.
xsv
I like our chances this year. I think the offense if going to roll from the beginning, and the defense will continue to improve. I also really like our depth at most positions.

I'll go 11-5 and a serious contender for the NFCCG.
make_it_rain
9-7, first round exit from the playoffs.

I think we split with Dallas and Washington, lose against San Fran, Seattle, Arizona, Green Bay and lose one other winnable game on the schedule against Indianapolis, Tennessee or possibly even at Houston.
HOUSEoPAIN

We had some solid wins last year, against Chicago and Arizona. The blizzard during the Lions game heavily favored us, and of course we beat GB without Aaron Rodgers. Many are predicting a loss at Arizona, I feel better about that game than I do about Carolina. I put us at 4-2 in the division (splitting Dal and Wash, sweeping NY) and losing against Sea, SF, GB, and Car. Out of the remaining 5 we'll drop one, probably against Indy. In the anything-can-happen-league, we can steal one of the 'easy' losses and drop one to a dud like Tennessee or St. Louis. I just don't see how we're going to be better than that - but certainly this schedule will be a real test, a 9-7 or 10-6 record should be considered a solid season and a huge step in the right direction. Anything above that is gravy.

Assuming a division win, I don't see us beating any of the likely #5-6 seeds in the first round, though a couple teams who should be in the hunt late in the season will give us favorable matchups.
mcnabbulous
I'll go 11-5.

Think we'll sweep Dallas and NYG. Also think Arizona is a win, as I expect their defense to fall off a bit. Think we'll lose a different game we should win though.

I'll give us one win in the playoffs with a loss in the conference semifinals.
Eyrie
I think the offense will be good, but a little down on last year as Foles comes back to earth and defences have some ideas on how to slow us, if not stop us. Still not convinced by our defence though.

Which leads me to the same conclusion that several other posters have stated.

10-6, win the division, win a wild card game and lose on the road in the divisional round.
Birdman420
Jags win
Colts loss
Redskins loss
49ers loss
rams win
Giants win
Cardinals win
Texans win
Panthers loss
Packers loss
Titans win
cowboys win
SEAHAWKS WIN!(that's right I said it, we are coming off a thursday night game in the previous week and I think chip will stun the world)
Cowboys win
Redskins loss
Giants loss

9-7 is my prediction, Not sure if it will be enough to get us into the playoff spot as I think the redskins might be our nail in the coffin depending on how well they do against other teams. I think our team regresses a bit this year on offense, Our defense will continue to impress.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Sep 2 2014, 06:02 PM) *
Jags win
Colts loss
Redskins loss
49ers loss
rams win
Giants win
Cardinals win
Texans win
Panthers loss
Packers loss
Titans win
cowboys win
SEAHAWKS WIN!(that's right I said it, we are coming off a thursday night game in the previous week and I think chip will stun the world)
Cowboys win
Redskins loss
Giants loss

9-7 is my prediction, Not sure if it will be enough to get us into the playoff spot as I think the redskins might be our nail in the coffin depending on how well they do against other teams. I think our team regresses a bit this year on offense, Our defense will continue to impress.

If we stun the Seahawks then end the season with back to back losses against Wash and NY, we deserve to watch someone else from the East make the playoffs.
Reality Fan
I still can't understand how anyone who thinks the Eagles are a good team sees them splitting with the Giants or the Cowboys. Both these teams are terrible. I really can't see them losing in their division. I would have to say 11-5 barring major injury. Foles is a good to great QB because he has a good head and a better than average arm. Their offense will be dominating so their defense will only have to be ok...anything better will be gravy.
Birdman420
This is the NFL we're talking about, regardless of how much better we perceive our team to be- Every other team still has a roster of professional football players.

I do think that injuries will play a part this year which is why I think we will finish 9-7. I hope to god that I'm wrong but being that I've been an eagles fan my whole life I tend to take on a pessimistic attitude when it comes to predicting the outcome of our seasons. This might be why I am so emotional during the year through the ups and the downs because you just never know what team you're going to get come sunday/monday.

I don't think we will sweep the redskins or the giants but back to back losses in the stretch might be a bit too far. However that may be, I do think come week 5 we will be 1-3.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 2 2014, 06:14 PM) *
I still can't understand how anyone who thinks the Eagles are a good team sees them splitting with the Giants or the Cowboys. Both these teams are terrible. I really can't see them losing in their division. I would have to say 11-5 barring major injury. Foles is a good to great QB because he has a good head and a better than average arm. Their offense will be dominating so their defense will only have to be ok...anything better will be gravy.

I hate the Cowboys more than anyone, but predicting a sweep against them is a reach IMO. The Cowboys smoked us here, and they were one ill advised pass by a backup QB from winning the division from us in the finale. We were all shitting gold bricks on that last drive in Dallas now we're all talking bravado and ease of sweep.

Not so fast.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 2 2014, 07:50 PM) *
I hate the Cowboys more than anyone, but predicting a sweep against them is a reach IMO. The Cowboys smoked us here, and they were one ill advised pass by a backup QB from winning the division from us in the finale. We were all shitting gold bricks on that last drive in Dallas now we're all talking bravado and ease of sweep.

Not so fast.

They are worse on defense and Romo is coming off back surgery. They're in real trouble.
JeeQ
10-6... Back To Back NFC:E Division Champions
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 2 2014, 07:50 PM) *

Not so fast.

Sorry my friend.....regardless of what you think about last years results they are simply a horrible team this year...predicting a loss to them shows that you really dont think this Eagles team is very good. What talent the Cowboys had on defense is gone....this is a 4 win team, they are that bad. It is not bravado at all, it is common sense after watching their offseason moves and the progression or regression of each team. This is a really bad division plain and simple....this should be a 6-0 slate and any loss should be a major upset.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 2 2014, 10:49 PM) *
Sorry my friend.....regardless of what you think about last years results they are simply a horrible team this year...predicting a loss to them shows that you really dont think this Eagles team is very good. What talent the Cowboys had on defense is gone....this is a 4 win team, they are that bad. It is not bravado at all, it is common sense after watching their offseason moves and the progression or regression of each team. This is a really bad division plain and simple....this should be a 6-0 slate and any loss should be a major upset.

I don't know that I'd call a division loss a "major" upset, but the rest of this is pretty spot on.

The Cowboys were an all-time bad defense before losing Ware and Lee.
nephillymike
Interesting tally of the predictions.

Seems all are comfortable we will win the division, which means playoffs.

A perfect curve of wins predictions around 10:

9 = 3
10 = 7
11 = 3

Progress is 10-6 with the tougher schedule and a home playoff win.

Impressive would be a trip to the NFCCG.

It starts tomorrow!!
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 6 2014, 12:37 AM) *
Interesting tally of the predictions.

Seems all are comfortable we will win the division, which means playoffs.

A perfect curve of wins predictions around 10:

9 = 3
10 = 7
11 = 3

Progress is 10-6 with the tougher schedule and a home playoff win.

Impressive would be a trip to the NFCCG.

It starts tomorrow!!

9-7 is fine to me, with our schedule being much tougher. 10-6 and a home playoff win is significant progress, setting up for a breakout year 3 under Chip.
bwc2112

What say you?

bwc2112
Solid 10-6 , so far I have been right two years in a row.
Elimvp
10-6 and no playoffs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.