Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: They're saying we were offered a conditional 3rd
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
What if they offered these two deals for Sanchez:

1. Sanchez for a 2015 2nd round pick.

OR

2. Sanchez and Henery for K Greg Zuerlein and a 2015 6th round pick.

Would you do either of the above?

For me, no to the first option, and after a long thought process, no to the second option.
koolaidluke
I think Sanchez and Henery for the the Rams kicker AND a 2nd is fair.

That offer with the 6th is insulting.
mcnabbulous
Getting a 2nd for Sanchez is an absolute steal and there is no way the Rams would offer it. I'd take it in a heartbeat.
HobbEs
That's a real tough call. If Barkley were anywhere near ready to be the #2 then you do it without a second thought. But since he's not then do you risk going through the season without a capable backup QB? If Foles goes down then we're sunk.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Aug 26 2014, 08:24 AM) *
That's a real tough call. If Barkley were anywhere near ready to be the #2 then you do it without a second thought. But since he's not then do you risk going through the season without a capable backup QB? If Foles goes down then we're sunk.

I look at it like this. We're probably not going to win a SB this year. We're really unlikely to do so with Sanchez at QB. Getting a 2nd round pick for a backup QB who doesn't have a future in town seems like insane value.

I don't think the Rams would offer it, but I think we'd be crazy not to take it if they did.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Aug 26 2014, 09:24 AM) *

Any team that has a chance of contending is sunk if they lost their #1 QB - and we aren't even one of those teams. Sure you can have an 11-5 Matt Cassel-led-Pats team, where they have the best record of any team to miss the playoffs that year. Or you can throw Barkley in there, see if he's decent enough to become trade bait the following year, and if not, you get a higher draft pick. And if he turns into the next Tom Brady and you win it all, great. I don't think we should plan anything around Sanchez being under center.

As for the trades, as everyone agrees the first one was great, the 2nd one was an insult, something Ruben Amaro would accept.
PhrankieG
Honestly, I'd take either package for the guy. I love the way he has played, but a veteran backup can be had after cuts.

We won't get anything for him after this year, so a kicker who may win a few games for us with a big leg and a pic sounds great to me.
HobbEs
Well, for everyone who wants to trade Sanchez let me ask this. If Foles goes down for a 4 game stretch would you rather have Barkley and that 2nd round pick? Or would you rather have Sanchez who is proving to be a good backup?

If you're the Sixers then yeah, you take the pick and continue tanking. This Eagles team should be in the playoff hunt. How is that not contending? If they get hot at the right time anything can happen.
PhrankieG
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Aug 27 2014, 09:16 AM) *
Well, for everyone who wants to trade Sanchez let me ask this. If Foles goes down for a 4 game stretch would you rather have Barkley and that 2nd round pick? Or would you rather have Sanchez who is proving to be a good backup?

If you're the Sixers then yeah, you take the pick and continue tanking. This Eagles team should be in the playoff hunt. How is that not contending? If they get hot at the right time anything can happen.

Agreed. However, I feel that there will certainly be a competent backup released as teams trim their rosters down.

Also, let's not diminish the need for a top-notch kicker. They too can be the difference between making the playoffs and playing golf. I have absolutely ZERO confidence in Henry making a clutch kick outside of 35 yards to tie or win a ball game when needed. Hell, I think he may have zero confidence in himself to do the same thing.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Aug 27 2014, 09:16 AM) *

I know we had the painful experience of watching two Giants teams who were nowhere near being the best in the NFL win Lombardi trophies in recent years. They got hot, had a very good defense, a clutch QB, and a coach who outsmarted Belicheat twice. It sucked - and it's rare, and it isn't freaking happening to us. And yes I know the #6 seed Packers won a few years ago, and the Steelers were the #6 seed in 2005 - both teams were clearly at the top of their conferences however, and got seeded below inferior teams who won their divisions (remember the Packers coming to Philly?).

Winning a crappy division and getting a home playoff game doesn't make you a contender. We haven't won anything in 54 years - and that's not changing with Mark Sanchez taking snaps. I'll take the 2nd round pick.
PhrankieG
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 27 2014, 10:12 AM) *
I know we had the painful experience of watching two Giants teams who were nowhere near being the best in the NFL win Lombardi trophies in recent years. They got hot, had a very good defense, a clutch QB, and a coach who outsmarted Belicheat twice. It sucked - and it's rare, and it isn't freaking happening to us. And yes I know the #6 seed Packers won a few years ago, and the Steelers were the #6 seed in 2005 - both teams were clearly at the top of their conferences however, and got seeded below inferior teams who won their divisions (remember the Packers coming to Philly?).

Winning a crappy division and getting a home playoff game doesn't make you a contender. We haven't won anything in 54 years - and that's not changing with Mark Sanchez taking snaps. I'll take the 2nd round pick.

But aren't the Giants a prime example to the contrary? They didn't just win the SB, they took down arguably one of the greatest single-season teams in the history of the league.

I agree that we shouldn't be talked about with the Denvers and Seattles of the league but they really aren't that far off. This offense (if the qb plays anywhere near as well as last year) will compete with anyone.

Baltimore shouldn't have beaten Denver in the AFC Championship a few years back...but a little luck and they pulled it out. I'll take the second rd pick in a heartbeat too... But dont act like this team can't win a weak division and make some noise in the playoffs.

In 08 the chargers finished 8-8 but still won a garbage AFC West. They hosted the 12-4 colts in the wild card round and beat em. Not to sound naive but, you really never know.

I'd take the pick, sign a free agent qb and dump our lousy kicker. Why aren't I the gm??
HOUSEoPAIN
But aren't the Giants a prime example to the contrary? They didn't just win the SB, they took down arguably one of the greatest single-season teams in the history of the league.

They're the lone example of a team that isn't 'great' at all winning the Super Bowl on a hot streak. Since they did it twice, and against the same juggernaut team, we have to chalk it up to the reasons I mentioned. They had the defensive potential to be great, Eli is as clutch as it gets, and Coughlin outcoached Bill twice - they simply matched up very well and NY owned them. Remember that during the Pats' 16-0 season, the NFC East played them, and the Giants only lost to them by 3 points. The 2nd SB where they met I bet heavily on the Giants to win outright, and the result was never in doubt. Other examples I gave of low-seeded teams winning it all are misleading, because of the 4 division format.

Baltimore shouldn't have beaten Denver in the AFC Championship a few years back...but a little luck and they pulled it out.

FWIW, I bet on the Ravens to win outright, and at the beginning of that year said they would win the SB. They were also playing against Peyton Manning.

In 08 the chargers finished 8-8 but still won a garbage AFC West. They hosted the 12-4 colts in the wild card round and beat em. Not to sound naive but, you really never know.

Any given Sunday, anything can happen. Especially if you're playing (once again) - Peyton Manning. biggrin.gif

Anyway, point is to win it all you have to win 3 or 4 games in a row against top teams. We can beat anyone in a single game, but we can't do that. And having Sanchez or Barkley under center won't matter. Give me the pick!

Birdman420
Whoa guys!

Let's remember here that we're talking about Mark Sanchez! Yeah, The QB nobody wanted!

The only other NFL games I would really watch other then the Eagles would be the jets(watched hard knocks and got into it) and it was just pure comedy with how bad Sanchez really was. I understand he's a former starter and vet player but he's never going to be in a position to help us.

Trade him for whatever he's worth and move on, If Foles goes down then Barkley will have the reps he needs to show us what he's got.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Aug 28 2014, 03:23 PM) *
Whoa guys!

Let's remember here that we're talking about Mark Sanchez! Yeah, The QB nobody wanted!

The only other NFL games I would really watch other then the Eagles would be the jets(watched hard knocks and got into it) and it was just pure comedy with how bad Sanchez really was. I understand he's a former starter and vet player but he's never going to be in a position to help us.

Trade him for whatever he's worth and move on, If Foles goes down then Barkley will have the reps he needs to show us what he's got.

I think it's likely that Sanchez is much better than he displayed in NY. His offensive coaching staff (and supporting cast) left a lot to be desired. I think people underestimate just how important good coaching is to most QB's success.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 28 2014, 05:27 PM) *
I think it's likely that Sanchez is much better than he displayed in NY.

I am reserving judgment, because I hated the signing. However, you appear to be correct.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 28 2014, 06:13 PM) *
I am reserving judgment, because I hated the signing. However, you appear to be correct.

His offensive coordinators have been Brian Schottenheimer and Tony Sparano. Woof.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.