Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Kelly a System Coach? Davis??
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
When Kelly and Davis came in, one thing that impressed me was that they were downplaying "system" and played up molding the units to suit the players skills.

For me, that put me at ease as I never was a fan of my perception of Reid's emphasis of system.

Fast forward a year, and Chip has nine of the 76 players on our current roster from one school, Oregon. That's 12% of the roster. He's chosen familiarity, and appears system.

On defense, we know our biggest need is a pass rush, yet we sit here concerned whether they can find a spot for our two best pass rushers, Graham and Curry. Why? System.

Billy said he would mold our D based on our talents.

He and Chip need to do as they preach and find a way to maximize the skills of those we have.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 24 2014, 03:40 PM) *
When Kelly and Davis came in, one thing that impressed me was that they were downplaying "system" and played up molding the units to suit the players skills.

Chip has a system and expects his players to work within the system. He modifies the playbook to effectively utilize the team's roster.

He and Chip need to do as they preach and find a way to maximize the skills of those we have.

Don't you think it's a little early to be jumping ship? All we have to evaluate their success is last season because pre-season doesn't mean diddly squat.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 24 2014, 05:23 PM) *
Chip has a system and expects his players to work within the system. He modifies the playbook to effectively utilize the team's roster.

Don't you think it's a little early to be jumping ship? All we have to evaluate their success is last season because pre-season doesn't mean diddly squat.

Not jumping ship at all. Just thinking about all the Oregon players made me think of system.
koolaidluke
Every coach has a system and every coach tweaks their schemes around the players strengths and weaknesses. But at the end of the day, you have to run your offense or your defense.

Brings up and interesting question, what do Chip's schemes require from players at each position?:

OFFENSE

OL: Have to be athletic but still big enough to get push on the inside zone runs. I think that Chip's scheme requires more from his OL than most other schemes do. Heremenns is done and Babre is a stiff, but there is three all pros in Kelce, Mathis and Peters. When Lane Johnson comes back there is another dominant run blocker even though he has been mediocre in pass protection. Line should still be good when Johnson returns but I think that this is a unit headed for a big decline over the next few seasons due to how difficult it will be to replace unique talents like Mathis and Peters. I'm not sure that will really hurt the offense that much though because I don't think this team is as dependent on the run as most people do. I guess we are going to find out who's right over the next few seasons.

RB: No specific system requirements but speedier guys seem to be preferred over big guys.

WR: Have to be able to run the whole route tree. No room at the inn for guys like Avant you can only do short and intermediate timing routes. Size is strongly preferred both for the short passing game and because downfield blocking by receivers is an integral part of the running and screen game.

TE: Has to be a good blocker. Ertz may be a better receiver than Celek, but he is not getting much playing time because he can't block.

QB: No specific requirements although a QB who can hurt you with his legs opens up more of the playbook.

DEFENSE

NT: Has to be able to 2 gap so he needs to be big. These guys are generally pretty easy to find.

DE: Again has to be able to 2 gap but doesn't have to be as huge as the NT. Finding guys who can 2 gap on the edge isn't a problem but finding guys who can do that AND rush the passer is a tall order. The Eagles get next to no pressure from their 3 down lineman and I don't see that changing as long as the Eagles run this scheme.

OLB: The same requirements for any 3-4 OLB, has to be able to rush the QB out of a stand up position and has to be able to cover. It's hard to get those kinda guys and that is hurting the Eagles pass rush

ILB: No specific system requirements

Outside Corner: Has to be big because the Eagles like to play a lot of press.

Slot Corner: No specific system requirements

Safety: Has to be at least serviceable in coverage but with the DL and linebackers taking care of the run, neither safety needs to be much of a run player.

So if you want to compare him to a guy like Reid in terms of system flexibility, it seems to me that Chip's system is a little less flexible and a little more difficult to find ideal personnel for. Based on what we've seen so far, however, it is also more effective so I guess everything is a bit of a trade off.
Zero
Herremans has been reported by a few sources as being one of the better OL this preseason. Of course the odds are that the OL will begin to decline as three of the five starters are fighting age. There has also been good reports on the backup OL so it may not be as severe as some may think.

Ertz has been improving as a blocker and hasn't been getting as much playing time because this is only his second camp. I'm betting he ends up with more playing time than Celek by mid season because he can essentially function as a big WR.

mcnabbulous
Good post, KAL.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 24 2014, 10:48 PM) *
Every coach has a system and every coach tweaks their schemes around the players strengths and weaknesses. But at the end of the day, you have to run your offense or your defense.

Brings up and interesting question, what do Chip's schemes require from players at each position?:

OFFENSE

OL: Have to be athletic but still big enough to get push on the inside zone runs. I think that Chip's scheme requires more from his OL than most other schemes do. Heremenns is done and Babre is a stiff, but there is three all pros in Kelce, Mathis and Peters. When Lane Johnson comes back there is another dominant run blocker even though he has been mediocre in pass protection. Line should still be good when Johnson returns but I think that this is a unit headed for a big decline over the next few seasons due to how difficult it will be to replace unique talents like Mathis and Peters. I'm not sure that will really hurt the offense that much though because I don't think this team is as dependent on the run as most people do. I guess we are going to find out who's right over the next few seasons.

RB: No specific system requirements but speedier guys seem to be preferred over big guys.

WR: Have to be able to run the whole route tree. No room at the inn for guys like Avant you can only do short and intermediate timing routes. Size is strongly preferred both for the short passing game and because downfield blocking by receivers is an integral part of the running and screen game.

TE: Has to be a good blocker. Ertz may be a better receiver than Celek, but he is not getting much playing time because he can't block.

QB: No specific requirements although a QB who can hurt you with his legs opens up more of the playbook.

DEFENSE

NT: Has to be able to 2 gap so he needs to be big. These guys are generally pretty easy to find.

DE: Again has to be able to 2 gap but doesn't have to be as huge as the NT. Finding guys who can 2 gap on the edge isn't a problem but finding guys who can do that AND rush the passer is a tall order. The Eagles get next to no pressure from their 3 down lineman and I don't see that changing as long as the Eagles run this scheme.

OLB: The same requirements for any 3-4 OLB, has to be able to rush the QB out of a stand up position and has to be able to cover. It's hard to get those kinda guys and that is hurting the Eagles pass rush

ILB: No specific system requirements

Outside Corner: Has to be big because the Eagles like to play a lot of press.

Slot Corner: No specific system requirements

Safety: Has to be at least serviceable in coverage but with the DL and linebackers taking care of the run, neither safety needs to be much of a run player.

So if you want to compare him to a guy like Reid in terms of system flexibility, it seems to me that Chip's system is a little less flexible and a little more difficult to find ideal personnel for. Based on what we've seen so far, however, it is also more effective so I guess everything is a bit of a trade off.

mcnabbulous
If you're gonna rip off another poster's schtick, you could at least not be as terrible at it.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 25 2014, 01:36 PM) *
If you're gonna rip off another poster's schtick, you could at least not be as terrible at it.

koolaidluke
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 25 2014, 04:53 AM) *
Ertz has been improving as a blocker and hasn't been getting as much playing time because this is only his second camp. I'm betting he ends up with more playing time than Celek by mid season because he can essentially function as a big WR.

If his coaches name wasn't "Chip Kelly", then yeah, I'd agree with you, but Chip is obsessive about blocking and running the ball. At most I see Chip using more 2 TE sets but I don't see any chance he benches an elite blocker like Celek for a mediocre blocker like Ertz.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.