Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For old time's sake: Geno Smith
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Apparently has looked pretty impressive this preseason. Secured the starter's job (although I don't know how much of a competition it really was) and seems to have taken significant steps going into his second year.

I still am a bit bummed that we didn't get to see Geno vs. Foles to determine our QB of the future. I think that competition would have brought out the best. Geno's athleticism in Chip's offense would have been interesting to see. At least we got old, reliable Lane Johnson to show for it though wink.gif

I rewatched a video of Geno from college and still can't believe this guy wasn't a first rounder:

nephillymike
http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/statistics.html

After listening to the pundits and a Jet fan I met this week, I am surprised his numbers were as solid as they are.

The fan and most of the pundits thought that Smith wasn't playing well.

On another note, the Jets have Tajh Boyd too? Remember how high of a pick he was going to be going into last season? What happened to him? By the looks of the stats, it appears he's going to get cut.

I'm not sold on Geno. He looked bad last year when these days most good rookie QB's do at least decent. He's young. This year will be more telling.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 23 2014, 04:40 PM) *
http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/statistics.html

After listening to the pundits and a Jet fan I met this week, I am surprised his numbers were as solid as they are.

The fan and most of the pundits thought that Smith wasn't playing well.

Strange, I've basically only read positive things about his play thus far this preseason. Anything in print? Or just radio type stuff?

On another note, the Jets have Tajh Boyd too? Remember how high of a pick he was going to be going into last season? What happened to him? By the looks of the stats, it appears he's going to get cut.

Yeah, not quite sure what the deal is with that guy. Haven't followed too closely.

I'm not sold on Geno. He looked bad last year when these days most good rookie QB's do at least decent. He's young. This year will be more telling.

I think you're underestimating just how terrible that Jets offense was from a talent perspective. They added a few pieces that should help them out a bit this year. He obviously had way too many turnovers last year, but he also did some really solid things for a rooking; including his YPA and leading a few game winning drives. I'm still convinced he's going to be very good, especially if he gets proper coaching support.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 23 2014, 05:20 PM) *
Strange, I've basically only read positive things about his play thus far this preseason. Anything in print? Or just radio type stuff?

The Giants OG on NFL Network, O'Hara (??) and the guy he is on with.

The other "source" was a bartender Jets fan at the Trop who seemed to know the Jets well. Since I was from Philly, we talked about Smith, Vick, Jets and Eagles.

True, not many weapons last year. We'll see how he fares this year.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 23 2014, 05:32 PM) *
The Giants OG on NFL Network, O'Hara (??) and the guy he is on with.

The other "source" was a bartender Jets fan at the Trop who seemed to know the Jets well. Since I was from Philly, we talked about Smith, Vick, Jets and Eagles.

True, not many weapons last year. We'll see how he fares this year.

After last night's performance, almost everything is positive. I assume it was prior to that?

Conversely, EJ Manuel is not looking so hot from the things I've been reading.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 23 2014, 05:39 PM) *
After last night's performance, almost everything is positive. I assume it was prior to that?

Yes, it was prior to last night, but after the previous week's game.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 23 2014, 06:39 PM) *

Never liked EJ Manuel or Doug Marone. I was happy when Marone picked EJ because it showed that he (Marone) was a fraud and would fail miserably in the NFL.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 23 2014, 11:57 PM) *
Never liked EJ Manuel or Doug Marone. I was happy when Marone picked EJ because it showed that he (Marone) was a fraud and would fail miserably in the NFL.

I didn't like Manuel either. Way too inconsistent with accuracy issues. That rarely plays in the nfl. His athleticism can't make up for that.
D Rock
Geno Smith = Suck

that is all...
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 26 2014, 05:12 PM) *
Geno Smith = Suck

that is all...

Bwah!

Nothing like a Geno thread to get Drock to chime in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.