Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How is the team doing vs. expectations?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I know it's only preseason, and I know our starters haven't played much, but this is Philly and we react to everything Eagles related.

So here goes:

Based on your expectations for the team this year, whatever they were, how are they doing as of this point compared to where you thought we'd be?

A 5 is neutral, a 10 is way ahead of where you thought we'd be a 1 is jump off the bridge panic.

I would say my meter is at a 4.

Coming off last year, I thought we had a real good shot to get to the NFCCG.

We had a great coach, a ton of offensive talent, a shitload of cap room and an upcoming draft ripe with WR's.

Our offseason free agency acquisitions net of cuts was below expectations.

Our draft was decent and I think was about where I thought we'd be.

So far, our preseason, I am more concerned about our injuries, especially at thin depth positions like WR and CB. Maclin's numerous nagging injuries are a big concern.

Our newly signed backup OT has been real bad in Johnson's absence. Even with the injuries, I thought our D, even our backups, would be better.

Not jumping off bridge, but a slight concern.
Zero
5 and trending down. I'm on the verge of being concerned about Foles and the D. Still too early to be looking for a ledge. It's the first real game that will be the start line for that.
koolaidluke
Why are you concerned about Foles? He looks exactly like he did last year. There was never any reason to expect him to just magically get better between the end of last season and the beginning of this one.

I have zero worries about the D's breakdowns because "it's only preseason" and those will get worked out of the course of the first few real games. Maclin has generally been durable before last year and I expect him to stay healthy this season.

So far the Eagles look like exactly what I expected them to be: a division winner that goes 1 and done in the playoffs.
Eyrie
5 at present.

I'll wait until the games count to decide if the OL is giving Foles the time a QB needs or if he's simply slipping to being a good QB.

Very difficult to comment on the defence when pre-season is about seeing how players execute the basics rather than whether a particular ploy works. Jenkins has been a good addition and it's early days for Smith.

Of the two, I'm more concerned about the defence but any of us could have said that back in February.
Zero
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 16 2014, 10:58 PM) *
Why are you concerned about Foles?

On the verge because when he's running with the first team offense against first team defenses they have been ineffective at best. I realize it's preseason which is why I said that game 1 is the push off point.
HOUSEoPAIN
My expectations since transferring DJax to Washington has been a team that will win a crappy division, and lose in the wild card round decisively in front of our home crowd. We still look to be that way, though a bit worse at this point than I thought. Our offense has had some bright flashes, but overall not good. Our defense has been worse than the meager improvement expected.

I say 4 as well.

Thursday will be another good test of where we're at. We aren't beating real contenders like the Pats, but the Steelers are a solid team on both sides of the ball and it'll be interesting to see how it goes. By Thursday rust won't be an excuse anymore.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 17 2014, 07:43 AM) *
On the verge because when he's running with the first team offense against first team defenses they have been ineffective at best. I realize it's preseason which is why I said that game 1 is the push off point.

I love you Zero, but I just don't see how he's been ineffective outside of the first game which was obviously a fluke (rust, penalties, over aggressiveness, etc). That first game was obviously not the real Foles.

Against NE he had 3 drives. First drive ended after 1 play due to a fumble. 2nd drive he moved the ball before getting stopped. 3rd he had a quick TD. 2 out of 3 of his drives *should* have produced points (Henery, Alex). If he were able to have that sort of success during the season the 2014 Eagles would be far and away the greatest offense in NFL history, averaging 40 points a game.
mcnabbulous
I think we probably shouldn't worry too much about an offense that features Momah as a starting receiver on the outside.

The type of defense we play is predicated on unpredictability. You simply won't see that in the preseason. I still think we are 1-2 years from improving the actual defensive talent, but that is the product of a decade of futility. Signing Jarius Byrd wouldn't have changed that.

I think we will be about the same as last year. Hopefully Foles has some incremental improvements and we get better as a team as the season progresses.
JeeQ
5... solely because it's pre-season... otherwise it'd be lower. At this point I can still write things off to hiding plays and shaking off rust. While it would've been nice to see flashes of greatness from Foles and anything at all resembling an improvement from the defense I've yet to see either.
bwc2112
A solid 5 due to preseason, thinking moving up. Right now watching Andy going back to being Andy.
Eyrie
QUOTE (bwc2112 @ Aug 18 2014, 04:00 AM) *
A solid 5 due to preseason, thinking moving up. Right now watching Andy going back to being Andy.

Now that is what I call having a sense of perspective biggrin.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 18 2014, 02:44 PM) *
Now that is what I call having a sense of perspective biggrin.gif

Watching KC dipshits pull their hair out as he called timeout after the 2 minute warning in the playoff game almost made up for our playoff loss later in the day wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.