Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concerns/Questions going into preseason
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Can't wait for tomorrow. A few concerns for the game and the season, in no particular order:

1. Is Maclin healthy and talented enough to be a legit above average #1 WR like the one he is replacing?

It seems not. Hurting aleady and haven't started contact yet is a concern.

2. Is Jenkins the good safety we paid for or the below average safety that some had him rated as? By all accounts, he's played well in camp and is a significant upgrade over Wang Chung. Ignoring the fact that any of us would be an upgrade over Chung, signs are good early on.

3. Is Jordan Matthews good enough to have a great rookie year ala Keenan Allen of last year? He's been all of that in practice. However, barring injury, I don't think he'll get the shot for greatness this year. i'd say 50 catches for about 700 yards or so.

4. Will M. Smith be good enough to see significant time on this defense? Here's hoping yes. Mixed reviews so far, but has gotten good reviews on pass defense, so maybe he can spell ryans in passing situations.

5. Is this team good enough to win enough to return to the playoffs if Foles is just very good to excellent instead of all time great this year? I think we can. Will that be good enough for most of the fan base? Nope. They'll still yearn for the QB who runs fast and/or the QB with a 1st round "pedigree".

6. Is our kicker good enough? tough to ingnore his 85% accuracy which is very good. Why they only brought in murder leg instead of a viable kicker to compete makes no sense to me.

7. Will the decision not to spend DJax's money on improving this year's team cause us to fall short of attainable goals? Keeping fingers crossed that it doesn't.
iggleslover49
I ask this every year during preseason, but where can I stream the game?
make_it_rain
My primary concern is depth, specifically at WR and ILB.

Maclin is basically made of glass. Cooper is in a walking boot going on a week now. Behind them we have Matthews, who by all indications will remain in the slot, Huff, Brad Smith, Arrelious Benn, and Jeff Mahel....along with guys like BJ Cunningham just trying to make the team. Not a lot of experience among that group.

If Ryans or Kendricks goes down we've got Najee Goode and Emmanuel Acho. Jake Knott is suspended. I actually like both Goode and Acho, but not addressing this position in the offseason may come back to hurt the team.

I think the defense will be better...whether better translates to "good enough" remains to be seen. Reports about Jenkins and players like Nolan Caroll have been encouraging and theyve had an extra year to adapt to the new system.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Aug 7 2014, 10:17 PM) *
I ask this every year during preseason, but where can I stream the game?

firstrowsports.eu. Any game of any sport you want.
koolaidluke
It feels like Maclin gets hurt all the time, but if you look at his stats he has always been able to stay on the field except for last season.

Cooper is bleh and if he gets hurt I am totally confident Matthews can at least replace his production.

Now behind those 3, yeah the depth isn't great but whatever. That goes for every team.

I think Acho and Goode can basically replace what Ryans brings, should they need to. Ryans isn't exactly much of a playmaker at this stage of his career.

If depth is a concern, it has to be along the Oline. Nobody behind the starters.
TGryn
I worry the Lane Johnson suspension is going to hurt us in ways nobody understands yet.

The stability and health of the OL last year was a big reason why we had as good a season as we did. Now, maybe some of that was because Chip's nutrition razzle-dazzle makes injuries less likely...or maybe we were just lucky. Well, luck tends to even out over time.

We can probably get by with Barbre at RT for four games with a little extra protection thrown into the game plan, but we've got little leeway if another starter needs to lose time. There's also going to be a little bit of continuity lost without LJ in there, and that's not going to come back instantaneously.
Zero
I'm not sure but Kelly's intent is to replace a #1 WR with a #1 WR corps. It's his scheme and the group as a whole, IMO and not just one player. That said, I am definitely worried about the WR injuries we're seeing unless they're really fairly minor and Kelly is being very cautious. Matthews will be a solid contributor.

Similar answer with Jenkins. Kelly thinks he fits the scheme and is the leader they were lacking last year. Seems the intent is to have him improve the other players with his calls as much as to have him be a S/CB. As much as talent can take a team to the top, Kelly's game is "team." The nice thing is that it looks like they've also got the talent.

Sounds like there's still a pretty good learning curve for Smith, but I'm expecting a jump in production from the rest of the defense so it's more a matter of having him in specific situations to take advantage of his athleticism.

I'm actually expecting a similar event as last year, for the Eagles to exceed expectations. I was one of the people who wanted Gus and no parts of Chip but it's Kelly who drives this bus more than the talent. I'm expecting a definite playoff game and maybe a bye. I won't be surprised to see the Eagles in the NFCCG.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Aug 7 2014, 10:21 PM) *

Other than Foles having a complete meltdown or getting injured, this is mine too. The development of Ertz and his inclusion in the passing game will be a huge factor in taking pressure off the wideouts, same with including Sproles. We could end up having a similar offense to 12-13 years ago when Chad Lewis was the biggest target, and we had our RB committee catching 10 screens a game. That's fine with me, as Maclin, Cooper, and Matthews are a big step up from Small, Johnson, and Pinkston.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 8 2014, 07:57 AM) *
I'm expecting a definite playoff game and maybe a bye. I won't be surprised to see the Eagles in the NFCCG.

Other than being uber-excited about football - honestly, what makes you think that? I expect to repeat as division winners which means a home playoff game, but we're still the 5th best team in the conference (arguably). If we come out in week 4 and give SF a game on the road, then I'll say we've taken the next step. Until then, I don't know how you can say we're anywhere near Sea or SF.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 8 2014, 11:11 AM) *
Other than being uber-excited about football - honestly, what makes you think that? I expect to repeat as division winners which means a home playoff game, but we're still the 5th best team in the conference (arguably). If we come out in week 4 and give SF a game on the road, then I'll say we've taken the next step. Until then, I don't know how you can say we're anywhere near Sea or SF.

Didn't Maragos say earlier this week, that the team the Seasqwauks were most afraid of facing in the post season was the Iggles??
That sure sounds like they may have seen us as the biggest of their NFC hurdles to overcome. That said, I think another good
drafting/FA year from Kelley/Roseman, a second year in Chip's system and some apparently good progress on developing our D all
seem to profile us as a better contender this year than last. Including us near the top is not really out of line.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Aug 8 2014, 12:03 PM) *
Didn't Maragos say earlier this week, that the team the Seasqwauks were most afraid of facing in the post season was the Iggles??
That sure sounds like they may have seen us as the biggest of their NFC hurdles to overcome. That said, I think another good
drafting/FA year from Kelley/Roseman, a second year in Chip's system and some apparently good progress on developing our D all
seem to profile us as a better contender this year than last. Including us near the top is not really out of line.

I'm sure Richard Sherman was shaking in his boots on having to face Riley Cooper rolleyes.gif - whatever, good politicking by Maragos in his new city, but I'll take his comments on their fear of us with a grain of salt. The team that embarassed Peyton Manning's Broncos 43-8 in the SB is in a completely different league than us. Like I said, week 4 will tell the tale of where we're at in the NFC. We are near the top, but not near getting out of the conference.
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 8 2014, 11:11 AM) *

Last year was dismal for the defense, largely because of holes but also because the returning players were learning the 3-4 instead of the 4-3 and everyone was feeling their way around how to play with new faces, particularly coaches. Several players have commented this Spring/Summer that they are playing more instinctively instead of thinking.

The offense also had a big learning curve, the QB situation was unsettled and when Foles settled in he did it as a back up taking over not as the starter throughout TC. The TE game last year was less than many expected and with the development of Ertz, the returning OL (sans 4 games w/o Johnson). The anticipated growth of Ertz, the addition of Sproles and a TC as starting QB for Foles could actually move the offense up a notch or two despite the loss of Jackson.

If the defense improves to the point of holding scoring to a league average (23.4) and the offense improves on their 2013 average ppg (27.4) the odds of getting a bye seem decent and with one playoff game experience they could very well win a game and get into the NFCCG. Not too crazy.
JeeQ
My biggest concern is the fact Foles has been injured in every season he's played and our backup is this guy...

If Foles gets Kolb'd early in the season we can go ahead and start looking at the draft... maybe the Sanchize can instill some faith in me with solid pre-season play but I won't be holding my breath
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 8 2014, 01:09 PM) *
If the defense improves to the point of holding scoring to a league average (23.4) and the offense improves on their 2013 average ppg (27.4) the odds of getting a bye seem decent and with one playoff game experience they could very well win a game and get into the NFCCG. Not too crazy.

Assuming the offense can develop and make up for the loss of Jackson, yeah the defense will have to be at least average for us to go anywhere past winning the division. Next week our D gets to play the Pats' 1st team offense for a couple drives, that will be a good test to see where they are so far. I just think people are way too optimistic. For christ's sakes, people talk like the NFCCG is a hop, skip and jump away after a good season. People are calling up WIP saying Chip should be fired if we don't reach it (at least). We have Sea, SF, GB (this time with Rodgers), Car, Ariz, Ind, and we're gonna take a couple division losses. I can't wait until the 16-0 predictions after we beat Jax.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Aug 7 2014, 09:21 PM) *

Maclin is basically made of glass. Cooper is in a walking boot going on a week now. Behind them we have Matthews, who by all indications will remain in the slot, Huff, Brad Smith, Arrelious Benn, and Jeff Mahel....along with guys like BJ Cunningham just trying to make the team. Not a lot of experience among that group.

If Ryans or Kendricks goes down we've got Najee Goode and Emmanuel Acho. Jake Knott is suspended. I actually like both Goode and Acho, but not addressing this position in the offseason may come back to hurt the team.

I think the defense will be better...whether better translates to "good enough" remains to be seen. Reports about Jenkins and players like Nolan Caroll have been encouraging and theyve had an extra year to adapt to the new system.

uh...Maclin missed 7 games in 4 years before tearing his ACL.....so you are saying anyone who tears an ACL is made of glass? Jackson missed 5 and I did not even check to see if Maclin was hurt his rookie year where there were 3 missed games. And for a guy made of glass he caught a heck of a lot of passes.....He averaged over 60 catches a game playing 2nd fiddle in Reids deep ball offense(post TO).

It is a common misconception because Maclin is the Earl Campbell of WRs.....
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 8 2014, 01:16 PM) *
My biggest concern is the fact Foles has been injured in every season he's played and our backup is this guy...

If Foles gets Kolb'd early in the season we can go ahead and start looking at the draft... maybe the Sanchize can instill some faith in me with solid pre-season play but I won't be holding my breath

oh...I know....because every other QB in that horrific mess of crap the Jets call an offense flourished.....I am happy having a QB with 4 postseason wins at the helm.....I like Foles but I wont worry if Sanchez has to play a game or 2. With this O line and the skill players we have he would do fine.....something he had little of in NY.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.