Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good news on Eagles WRs and DBs
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
It's almost like JMac and Coop have faded to the background for me. It's not that I'm taking their production for granted, but I'm really psyched to see how the two rooks and Benn can play. Williams says that Coop has stepped it up another level from his surprising performance last year - we don't seem to be hearing too much of Maclin. Matthews is looking like he will be a beast, maybe it'll take a couple of months just for the rookie fur to wear off. Huff has apparently been surprised that things aren't quite what they were at Oregon but by the end of the year I expect his size and 'tude to make a nice contribution to the offense. Add these guys to Celek and Ertz and imagine what will be there for Shady!!!

But really, I'm impressed about what I'm reading about the DBs, especially Carroll. He's getting so much praise that I have to wonder why we didn't hear more about him and why Miami let him walk. Let's hope this isn't a camp mirage and once the season starts we see a completely different player.
... what Carroll has shown so far has been very impressive. In OTAs and minicamp, when defensive backs are not allowed to jam receivers, the advantage is blatantly slanted toward the offense. Even then, Carroll did a great job breaking up passes. Now that the pads are on and the DBs are allowed to get their hands on receivers, the secondary has looked better to an obvious degree. The defense as a group has in turn also gotten their hands on a lot of footballs, but none more than Carroll. He has been a pass breakup machine.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/...ns-the-day.html ...
Zero
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 3 2014, 06:54 AM) *
It's almost like JMac and Coop have faded to the background for me. It's not that I'm taking their production for granted, but I'm really psyched to see how the two rooks and Benn can play. Williams says that Coop has stepped it up another level from his surprising performance last year - we don't seem to be hearing too much of Maclin. Matthews is looking like he will be a beast, maybe it'll take a couple of months just for the rookie fur to wear off. Huff has apparently been surprised that things aren't quite what they were at Oregon but by the end of the year I expect his size and 'tude to make a nice contribution to the offense. Add these guys to Celek and Ertz and imagine what will be there for Shady!!!

But really, I'm impressed about what I'm reading about the DBs, especially Carroll. He's getting so much praise that I have to wonder why we didn't hear more about him and why Miami let him walk. Let's hope this isn't a camp mirage and once the season starts we see a completely different player.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/...ns-the-day.html ...

"The young kid that nobody even knows about except in Philadelphia, Jordan, hes making plays, McCoy said.

You dont really get into it with the rookies until you watch them play, McCoy said. Hes shown it. Just his work ethic. He works like a veteran, like a five, six-year veteran. Skys the limit for that kid, for sure. Hes raised right. Hes got good manners. Im very optimistic about his career.
Linc...
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 3 2014, 07:17 AM) *
Linc...

I'll agree about 95% Z. It seems like most fans you just skipped over the 6'2" Brad Smith who is quietly getting lots of attention from
the staff. For that matter, I have doubts that Benn can beat off the increasingly impressive 6'7 Ifeanyi Momah . He seems to have come
a loooonnnggg way in the year off and is now a serious threat for a roster spot. Lastly, there is of course one of the best
passcatching RBs in the business in Sproles. Our O is set to perhaps be even better than it was last year.
nephillymike
Much praise for Matthews and Carroll. They have been quiet on Maclin, true.

A little concerned about both Cooper and Maehl having walking boots. No comment from them on that but hopefully it is just some advanced healing techique precaution instead of what walking boots are traditionally used for.

Carroll looks like a starter. They really need one more starting CB for a full replacement of sconces and Fletch to have a legitimate CB tandem.

First game next weekend!!
mcnabbulous
I've been seeing a lot of positives regarding Malcolm Jenkins thus far, too.

The Matthews hype is really exciting. Sounds like he has an amazing combination of natural ability and work ethic.
Zero
Wolff has been getting some kudos as has Smith. It's camp but I like the sound of it all. I can't wait to watch real games to see if any of it is justified.
nephillymike
Friday night 8 PM @ Chicago.

Must see TV.
koolaidluke
Maclin is a really good player. People have forgotten how good he is.

Cooper sucks. His stats last season were a fluke. He is a serviceable number 2 receiver but nothing more.

Matthews is kinda an unknown. He is tearing it up against the scrubs but we know from the Na Brown's and Hank Baskett's of the world that that doesn't mean anything. At the very least he will be an upgrade over Avant in the slot.

The new receiver I am most optimistic about/interested in is Josh Huff. Could be another Hines Ward.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 3 2014, 02:59 PM) *
Wolff has been getting some kudos as has Smith. It's camp but I like the sound of it all. I can't wait to watch real games to see if any of it is justified.

Check out eagles 24/7. They had an article yesterday about Wolff where they point out that he held himself out last year and this year for his knee, even though cleared by the training staff to play. Chip's comment on it was a little concerning as was the situation months afterward.
Zero
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 4 2014, 02:38 AM) *
Maclin is a really good player. People have forgotten how good he is.

Cooper sucks. His stats last season were a fluke. He is a serviceable number 2 receiver but nothing more.

Matthews is kinda an unknown. He is tearing it up against the scrubs but we know from the Na Brown's and Hank Baskett's of the world that that doesn't mean anything. At the very least he will be an upgrade over Avant in the slot.

The new receiver I am most optimistic about/interested in is Josh Huff. Could be another Hines Ward.

Agree on most except a team can't have all #1 receivers. If Coop is a "serviceable number 2" added to a true #1, Shady and two good TEs then he's a value to the team.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 4 2014, 06:26 AM) *
Check out eagles 24/7. They had an article yesterday about Wolff where they point out that he held himself out last year and this year for his knee, even though cleared by the training staff to play. Chip's comment on it was a little concerning as was the situation months afterward.

That concerned me last year and this doesn't make it get any better. It doesn't mean he won't be a good player, but something tells me that attitude may not fit with Kelly's "team first."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.