Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How would you go about beating the Eagles?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
TGryn
So, if you were magically made head-coach-for-a-week of an NFL team which had the play the Eagles on Sunday, how would you game plan trying to beat them? I'm going to leave the scenario open-ended, you can limit it as much or as little as you choose (in terms of things like qualities of your team and so on).

A couple immediately come to mind to me:

1) Hit Foles, and keep hitting him. If he runs the ball, hit him, and pile on. If he's a decoy, I still want to see him on the turf. If the play is a pass, I'm not saying hit him if it would obviously be a flag, but I don't want to see a lot of plays where he's standing up by the time the ball enters the secondary, either. He's tough, but every hit accumulates a little more. If you can put him out of the game, neither Sanchez nor Barkley are nearly the weapon Foles is.

2) Test the secondary. Until proven otherwise, the Eagles haven't solved either their pass rush problems or their secondary difficulties, so you don't have to max-protect and can send out RBs and TEs to test the short and medium ranges as well. For a team with a speedster like DJax, there should be ample opportunities to have the time to allow long deep routes to develop.
Dreagon
The answer to that question is going to vary from team to team.

For example, I can only speak for the Cowboys. Now if I was Garrett (only in my fantasy world Jerry actually listens to me) I would start by accepting a couple of truths about the game. With Foles, Sproles, McCoy, and a 29th ranked defense on one team, and Romo, Murray, Bryant and a 32nd ranked defense on the other....this game is going to be a shootout. So just go into it knowing that's the type of game you're going to have to win.

And the way you win those is by not being the team that makes the mistakes. You play to your strengths, but pay close attention to the plays and routes you lost the ball on earlier in the year and avoid those. You avoid the situations where you are prone to make them, and when you can't you be very aware you're in that situation and act accordingly. It's important to know the other team's tendency's and weaknesses, but this is the type of game where your ability to scout your own team is what's going to make the difference.
Pila
Despite Dallas' horrendous defense last year, they certainly seemed apt at stopping the Eagles. When they met for the first time last year, I remember speaking to my brother (a Dallas fan living in Joisy) and considering the defenses and offenses at the time, he suggested a score of something like 50 to 48. Yet, Foles was held to a meagerů whatever it was, and Dallas scored 17.

The second game showed a bit more offensive success, but still - Dallas was able to keep Foles and Chip's offense in reasonable check.

Whatever Dallas does, if I'm an opponent I study that shit until my eyes bleed.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Pila @ Jul 22 2014, 12:21 PM) *
Despite Dallas' horrendous defense last year, they certainly seemed apt at stopping the Eagles. When they met for the first time last year, I remember speaking to my brother (a Dallas fan living in Joisy) and considering the defenses and offenses at the time, he suggested a score of something like 50 to 48. Yet, Foles was held to a meager… whatever it was, and Dallas scored 17.

The second game showed a bit more offensive success, but still - Dallas was able to keep Foles and Chip's offense in reasonable check.

Whatever Dallas does, if I'm an opponent I study that shit until my eyes bleed.

Our secret is to replace all our defensive starters with guys off the street so the opposing team has no idea who they are and who to block wacko.gif

(and then in the offseason we let those starters sneak off to other teams so nobody will EVER figure out where they're coming from )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.