Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In a play over vs. Saints
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
If we played the Saints at the Linc in week one again, are we good enough to beat them?

They had a bunch of cap problems, we had a ton of cap room.

We both had draft picks.

They signed Byrd. We signed the guy they didn't want in Jenkins.

We traded with them for Sproles.

They resigned Graham to a hefty deal. We cut Jackson.

Have we improved enough to beat them?

I say no we have not.

We didn't do enough in the offseason to put us in a better position to win that game and other games should we be good enough to get back to the playoffs.

I think they made a bad call in not improving our D enough when they had ample resources to do so.

I fear it will haunt us late in the year and make for an earlier end to the season.

And then we have Sanchez and Barkley as backups.

And you think the lack of defensive moves was haunting..................................
mcnabbulous
If Foles progresses enough, than yes. He did not play well against them. He was too tentative. We have a lot of young talent that will continue to get better. Our second and third year players will be the difference between last year and this. If they take the appropriate steps forward, we'll be okay.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 16 2014, 10:31 PM) *
If we played the Saints at the Linc in week one again, are we good enough to beat them?

No way in hell. I'd argue that we're worse off than before, with them getting Byrd and us cutting DJax loose. But thankfully, we don't play them in week 1 - we play Jax.

In week 4 we get SF on the road. By then we'll have had some time to develop younger players, mold the scheme better, etc. That game will tell us where we're at in terms of beating real contenders.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jul 17 2014, 02:07 PM) *
If Foles progresses enough, than yes. He did not play well against them. He was too tentative. We have a lot of young talent that will continue to get better. Our second and third year players will be the difference between last year and this. If they take the appropriate steps forward, we'll be okay.

While he did not have his customary best ever performance, he had a nice game, out played Brees, left the field with the lead, and would have looked even better has Cooper caught that would be 40+ yard gainer (maybe even a TD). You and the powers that be need to look elsewhere for improvement. Judging by the lack of defensive upgrades, they seem to agree with you.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 17 2014, 06:39 PM) *
While he did not have his customary best ever performance, he had a nice game, out played Brees, left the field with the lead, and would have looked even better has Cooper caught that would be 40+ yard gainer (maybe even a TD). You and the powers that be need to look elsewhere for improvement. Judging by the lack of defensive upgrades, they seem to agree with you.

Foles will get better as a QB. Brees will continue to move away from his prime. That's one of the differences we need to look for.

I agree the Cooper drop was big. Beyond that, Foles didn't outplay Brees. He left lots of yards on the field. He needs to be better in the playoffs against an offensive first team.
TGryn
Our quantitative increase from being in our 2nd year of Kelly's system (in terms of people knowing their assignments and understanding of the system) is potentially much greater than New Orleans' from having Payton and his staff in place another year.

Also, I'd argue the jump in quality from Chung to Jenkins is much greater than from Jenkins to Byrd. Sure, on paper Chung to Byrd would have been greater still, but the Eagles liked what they saw in Jenkins better for the system they're running. Time will tell if that was correct or not.
Zero
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jul 18 2014, 03:29 PM) *
Our quantitative increase from being in our 2nd year of Kelly's system (in terms of people knowing their assignments and understanding of the system) is potentially much greater than New Orleans' from having Payton and his staff in place another year.

Also, I'd argue the jump in quality from Chung to Jenkins is much greater than from Jenkins to Byrd. Sure, on paper Chung to Byrd would have been greater still, but the Eagles liked what they saw in Jenkins better for the system they're running. Time will tell if that was correct or not.

Good point, TG. And, I'm still not convinced that Byrd would have been a better choice for this team. For the fans, no doubt but I don't know enough about him or what the team expects from that spot to just assume that because he performed so much better in Buffalo than Jenkins in NO that he'd be better here. There's been too many cases of perennial pro bowl players moving to new teams and flopping to totally discount system ... Namdi?
make_it_rain
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 17 2014, 07:39 PM) *

I think what mcnabbulous is getting at is while overall foles had a solid game, he seemed a bit tentative, especially in the first half. He looked much better in the second half but you could make the case that if he had loosened up a bit, or didnt wait until the second half to come out firing, that improvement alone would have been enough to get the win.

Of course you can say that he left with the lead and point to the Cooper drop, but at the same time you can't say that the offense did not leave some points on the board in the first half. It goes both ways.

To answer the OP, overall, no I do not think the team has improved enough to win a play over. I'm willing to give the leadership the benefit of the doubt of cutting Jackson + adding sproles/matthews and signing Jenkins at safety (but hes a great "fit" guys! rolleyes.gif) but thats not to say that I'm not skeptical. Special teams got a bit stronger as well with Braman the mushroom farmer and Maragos (could have used them on that last drive against the saints).

I also don't think just adding one blockbuster FA signing like Byrd would have been enough to win a play over as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.