Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surprise!! Sixers Make a Trade
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...to-dario-saric/

To the Magic for a second round pick in 2015 (next year) (Useless as tits on a bull)

The Magic's 2017 (yes, not a misprint, not next year, not the year after that, but the year after that!) first round pick as long as it's not a top 11 pick. If it is a top 11 pick, then we wait until 2018 draft. If we have to wait until 2018, then we get the Magic's first round pick in 2018 UNLESS it is a top 8 pick, which they don't have to give that to us.

If they don't igve up either first round pick, who knows what happens!

And BTW, Saric is expected to stay in Europe for two years and doesn't need to play for the Sixers. Maybe he comes here in 2017!!

Memo to the file:

Next watch a Sixers game in 2017!

make_it_rain
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 26 2014, 10:20 PM) *
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...to-dario-saric/

Memo to the file:

Next watch a Sixers game in 2017!

My thoughts exactly.

Best quote I read about the Sixers draft from last night:

"The Sixers are basically a hedge fund now, all they care about is acquiring assets, as opposed to actually building a team"
TGryn
I'm surprised the 2015 1st round pick condition (goes to Boston if its not a lottery pick) weighed as heavily as it apparently did on the 76ers decision process, but Embiid, Saric, and perhaps Micic are not likely to be playing for the team next year, meaning any improvement will have to come from Noel and the four guys they drafted or acquired in the second round. If I was in the latter group I'd be ecstatic, since those second round guys have a very good chance of making the team and seeing real minutes next year, something they wouldn't have with many other teams.

In terms of the fans, though, we're going to be watching year II of developmental tryouts around MCW and now Noel, which doesn't sound very exciting. They'll be better, but much of that rides on whether the gamble on Noel pans out, just like the major improvement for the year after that will depend on whether Embiid can get healthy again or not.

As I said in earlier posts, I have the same concerns as everyone else about Embiid, but the way the draft went they almost got boxed into taking him. There wasn't another option with the same potential after how #1 and #2 went.
nephillymike
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jun 27 2014, 07:42 AM) *
I'm surprised the 2015 1st round pick condition (goes to Boston if its not a lottery pick) weighed as heavily as it apparently did on the 76ers decision process,

I'm not sure I follow.

Are you saying that they made it so they would be very bad again next year by taking injured and overseas guys who will contribute nothing tis year so they keep their 2015 lottery pick draft pick?

I guess that's possible. A little disturbing if that was thier main focus. If they bypassed better talent to pick lesser talent that can't play this year just to get an extra lottery pick next year, I don't know.

I heard a few things of interest from Hinkie on the sports talk interviews he graced us with his participation in:

#1. He assessed that there are two types of risk with picks: A. Talent not good enough and B. Inability to get on the court because of injury and/or European contracts. He said it was a calculated risk and he thought there was no risk of of not enough talent.

#2. The slot where they picked Russ Smith was already traded so they made that pick at the direction of the team they traded it with.

#3. Unlike the NFL, NBA teams cannot carry forward unused cap space and he said that they made some moves last year to spend some of it but hinted that it would be difficult to do that this year. He seemed resigned to having tens of millions of unspent cap space this year that can't be carried forward. I wonder how much danger of being below a mandated floor they are.

#4. Embiid's recovery time period right from the surgeon's mouth is longer than previously reported. It is five to nine months, not four to six. December to April. Bet the over.

So if I am following this right, here's what we have to look forward to:

2014-15 MCW and Noel
2015-16 MCW, Noel, Embiid, Lottery Pick from '15 draft
2016-17 MCW, Noel, Embiid, '15 Pick, Saric, '16 non lottery draft pick.
2017-18 ready to compete for upper tier playoff spot.
2018-19 maybe a chance at finals appearance.

I would like to know how much money they are going to lose in attendance and lack of interest in the next two years. And, they need to use their fan friendly nature to keep fans interested. I'm sure they'll cut prices and offer a bunch of incentives for fans to stay around. May even abandon the practice of having the press forceably removed from team events.

They have a tough sell and only have a chance for it to work if they hit on ALL gambles. Not likely.

How close did this method come in Houston again??
nephillymike
http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nba/2014/

Looks like we're $27M under the minimum we need to pay,which we need to pay to the league if we don't use it. So from a team profitability standpoint, since they have to spend it on someone, they will probably take a big loss this year and next.

And we're $31M under the cap upper limit.

Note the luxury tax limit is much higher than the cap limit.

NBA is a soft cap which is tricky.
nephillymike
http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nba/2014/

Looks like we're $27M under the minimum we need to pay,which we need to pay to the league if we don't use it. So from a team profitability standpoint, since they have to spend it on someone, they will probably take a big loss this year and next.

And we're $31M under the cap upper limit.

Note the luxury tax limit is much higher than the cap limit.

NBA is a soft cap which is tricky.

Talk about confusing, check out this summary of the NBA cap rules. With all the exceptions, no wonder it takes a team so many years to get out of the non contender roles and into contenders:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap
TGryn
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 28 2014, 06:54 PM) *
Are you saying that they made it so they would be very bad again next year by taking injured and overseas guys who will contribute nothing tis year so they keep their 2015 lottery pick draft pick?
I guess that's possible. A little disturbing if that was thier main focus. If they bypassed better talent to pick lesser talent that can't play this year just to get an extra lottery pick next year, I don't know.

I don't know either, it just seems to me that this was a consideration. They already showed with Noel that they're patient with putting off instant gratification and waiting on guys, Embiid and Saric is just doubling-down on that. I wouldn't say Embiid/Saric is lesser talent, they're just guys they'll have to wait on. For a team like the Lakers, who were awful last year and are hearing the clock ticking down on Kobe's career, doing that wouldn't be an option.

The cap numbers indicate we're likely to pick up a few "bad" expiring contracts, guys like Richardson who are on the team and being paid but aren't likely to see much court time, in exchange for draft considerations down the line.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 28 2014, 09:54 PM) *
So if I am following this right, here's what we have to look forward to:

2014-15 MCW and Noel
2015-16 MCW, Noel, Embiid, Lottery Pick from '15 draft
2016-17 MCW, Noel, Embiid, '15 Pick, Saric, '16 non lottery draft pick.
2017-18 ready to compete for upper tier playoff spot.
2018-19 maybe a chance at finals appearance.

Again, I don't follow NBA but when you add in the cap data you covered in your two subsequent posts the thought occurs that maybe that timeline could be accelerated with the addition of a FA or two.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 30 2014, 07:19 AM) *
Again, I don't follow NBA but when you add in the cap data you covered in your two subsequent posts the thought occurs that maybe that timeline could be accelerated with the addition of a FA or two.

True, but you need to have a team good enough to draw a big FA.

In the NBA, it's so top heavy, you really need to land a big one and none of them will even sniff the Sixers until we're well on our way.

nephillymike
I'm hearing people overall that are very happy about the Sixers game plan.

I figured out why I am not excited.

It comes down to expectations.

When we went into last year with the tanking plan in mind, we thougth we woud tank and hitch our hopes to MCW and then Noel after the all-star break.

First disappointment, no Noel.

Then we figured we would be so bad that we would land the number one overall pick in this loaded draft.

Second disappointment, we finished 2nd worst.

OK, then the odds were with us to get a top two pick, in a draft that was three superstars deep.

Third disappointment, we got the third pick.

OK, we'll get a healthy top three pick in a depp draft.

Fourth disappointment, Embiid had teo stress fractures,a no no for big men.

Fifth disappointment, we can't move up to get the two best healthy players.

We pick Embiid, a talent for sure, but injured for sure.

But at least we'll get someone at #10 worth going to see and develop and wait for Embiid to healthy later in the year.

Nope. At disappointment #6 we have a guy who's going to play in Turkey for at least two years. AND, Embiid likely will not be ready until after the AS game at which time they probably will Noel him for the rest of the year.

A lot of disappointment going on.

They have a tough sell here.

I would lower ticket prices significantly and give people who do buy them, steep discount opportunities for future seasons' tickets.

They need to do something like that or that building will be the empties venue we've ever seen in this city.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.