Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Safety according to Billy Davis
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
No Brian Dawkins, Wes Hopkins or Andre Waters here. Essentially they're using four CBs.
"We're pass first, pass second and then pass third.
It is a becoming more and more a passing league, but without that run-stuffing enforcer in the box how will they do against the run and the crossing TE and RB? I'm guessing all that is up to the LBs.

Safety responsibilities vary from system to system, and therefore so does desired personnel. A bone-crushing box safety would be appealing to this fan base, no doubt, but wouldn't be a fit for Davis' scheme necessarily.

"You look at Seattle, they really have that big safety that plays in the box and beats up tight ends and can play like a linebacker but also is good in coverage and they have a true post field safety, whereas we have the exact opposite," said Jenkins, "where both of our safeties can be on a receiver, can be on a tight end, can blitz and can be back deep. It really comes down to what your system is and finding players that fit your system."

The Eagles want versatile, interchangeable parts in Davis' quest to create a mirrored defense where roles are not easily identified by the opposition. (This has a lot to do with why Jenkins was their top free-agent target even with the likes of Jairus Byrd and T.J. Ward on the market. ) The "Legion of Boom" they are not, nor are they trying to be. You can argue that's a design flaw, but there's no question that the design is different.
Here ...
Eyrie
Dawkins could do it all, which is why he's headed to the HoF and why he'd be a good fit for this defence. Agree that the other two had "alternative" skill sets though.
Flying Dutchman
I would not be surprised to see Wolf who can really bring it move up as a starter in early season. That said, I would be giddy happy to see a maturing Allen and a banger like Maragos as our backup safeties. This year WILL be different, thank God!!!!
nephillymike
Covering, tackling and turnovers.

Neither Allen nor Jenkins are rated high on any of the pillars of safety play.

I"m skeptical if system can change that but we will see.

They got rid of Chung who was rated below Jenkins so that combined with 2nd year experience for Allen should be an improvement.
TheFinger
Jenkins is the cover safety we've missed since Q left. I think we'll be better this year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.