Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soccer
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
So, now that we've had a heartbreaking tie, we should all hope, in the likely event we lose to Germany, that Ghana wins vs. Portugal so that we win the tiebreaker based on head to head win vs Ghana, right?

Well not exactly.

With this sport, head to head isn't all that important.

Seems like it is #4 on the tiebreaker list.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/6/21/5...cup-tiebreakers

You must be shittin' me Pyle!

And, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a clock that stops when the ball goes out of bounds or there are injury stoppages so you don't have to "estimate" the extra time at the end conveniently rounded to the full minute as if seconds weren't important in sports and everyone can watch the time remaining as the game progresses?

And the referee granted water break. He's allowed to permit a water break if the temperature is 89.6 degrees F.
For a sport that doesn't deem it necessary to measure seconds or count head to head they measure tenths of degrees in temperature for water breaks??

Confused and disappointed in the Northeast.

I need a bandwagon to tie me over until July 25th and I thought I had one.................................
HOUSEoPAIN
6th tiebreaker - 'drawing of lots.' wacko.gif

At that point can't they at least have the team captains do the limbo to determine the winner? Yeah I looked these up about a week ago, and was shocked that head-to-head wasn't very important. This isn't going to do much to attract American fans to the sport. Although.....

We still have to be considered favorites to advance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we lose (let's say 1-0) then Portugal would have to win by 4 goals to advance, as they would have a higher goal total overall. Ghana would have to win by 2, as we win the 4th tiebreaker (thank you head-to-head). While highly unlikely, if we lost 3-2 and Portugal won 4-0, we'd end up having a coin flip. I admit, part of that wants me to happen.

make_it_rain
I was absolutely gutted at the end of the portugal game. And we didnt even lose!

You'd think all of the years as an eagles fan would make me numb to being crushed at the very end....nope.

Still in pretty good shape though.....roughly 80% favorites to get out of the group, which would be a tremendous achievement, and this doesnt take into the account the incentive for US and Germany to play passively for a draw against each other.

Portugal, barring a miracle, is out. So once again the only real threat to knock out the US is god damned Ghana:

If we lose and Ghana wins by more than one goal, we're out.
If we lose by 1 and Ghana wins by 1, but Ghana's game is higher scoring(e.g U.S lose 1-0, Ghana wins 2-1) we're out.
If we lose and Portugal wins, AND Portugal overcomes their -4 goal differential, we're out.

Pretty much any other scenario will see the US qualify for the next round. A draw in either of the games is all we need really (or a low scoring Portugal victory)
Eyrie
As a "soccer" fan, I find it puzzling that you're quibbling over minor details like goal difference which is the recognised method in "soccer" for splitting two teams with the same number of popints.

How about all the play acting when an opposing player is within fifteen feet? Or the blatant dissent towards officials?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 23 2014, 03:49 PM) *
recognised

When talking about 'association football,' the proper word is 'recognized.' biggrin.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jun 23 2014, 11:45 PM) *
When talking about 'association football,' the proper word is 'recognized.' biggrin.gif

I'm just impressed that anyone over there knows it's "association football".

And after the Suarez incident in Italy vs Uruguay, it's the sport with added bite wink.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
I'm just impressed that anyone over there knows it's "association football".

I played for about 10 years as a kid, and played with a lot of foreign students, so I learned a bit more.

And after the Suarez incident in Italy vs Uruguay, it's the sport with added bite wink.gif

That was a disgrace. That's the football equivalent of spearing a QB in the knees with your helmet 3 seconds after he throws the ball. Italy should've done something back at the end.
Eyrie
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jun 24 2014, 10:16 PM) *
I played for about 10 years as a kid, and played with a lot of foreign students, so I learned a bit more.

That was a disgrace. That's the football equivalent of spearing a QB in the knees with your helmet 3 seconds after he throws the ball. Italy should've done something back at the end.

I'm expecting his club Liverpool to sell him. They stood by Suarez for a previous biting incident and when he racially abused an opponent so their patience must have run out by now. He'd also bitten an opponent at a previous club so a lengthy ban is a certainty.
HOUSEoPAIN
Yay, we made it through! jumpclap.gif

Soccer - the only sport which allows an entire nation to celebrate a loss. Next up is probably Belgium, definitely a tough one.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jun 26 2014, 02:54 PM) *
Yay, we made it through! jumpclap.gif

Soccer - the only sport which allows an entire nation to celebrate a loss. Next up is probably Belgium, definitely a tough one.

cheers.gif

Was looking verrrryyyy shady for about 15 minutes or so in the second half after Germany scored and Ghana tied up their game. I kept checking my stream to see if Gyan would send us off again and put Ghana through with another goal. That was an agonizingly long second half.

Belgium will be favored but it's a winnable game. I'd like to think that once you get into the knockout round, anything can happen.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Jun 26 2014, 04:59 PM) *
Belgium will be favored but it's a winnable game. I'd like to think that once you get into the knockout round, anything can happen.

cheers.gif

It's like any other sport in that sense, nobody's invincible and every team is a rough tackle away from losing a man for the whole match. Belgium is and should be favored, but I think it's time to put us in the 2nd tier of world teams along with them. The powerhouse teams aren't very far ahead of us, and there's no reason to think we can't go far.
Eyrie
The knock out rounds are like the play offs - win or go home.

I'd put Belgium as the favourites, but from what I've seen of your team in this World Cup I wouldn't be surprised if you beat them.
Pila
Well done by the USNT, and deserved to go through. Staying composed against Germany was always key, something Portugal was unable to do.

Personally I like the US chances against Belgium. They're a good team, but Hazard hasn't played well - the key for Belgium is Axel Witzel, a box-to-box Midfielder who can hold and create, not unlike Jermaine Jones, who continues to be the US' best and most important player not named Tim Howard.

I believe they'll get to the Eigths. Haven't really looked at the bracket, but so long they keep landing European teams, they'll have a chance. European teams simply can not play in south America.

One of the fortunes of the lottery is ending up in groups like France and Greece did. Greece especially, who just sucks, yet sees itself in the sixteenths.

I BELIEVE WE CAN WIN!
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Pila @ Jun 28 2014, 04:02 AM) *
I believe they'll get to the Eigths. Haven't really looked at the bracket, but so long they keep landing European teams, they'll have a chance. European teams simply can not play in south America.

One of the fortunes of the lottery is ending up in groups like France and Greece did. Greece especially, who just sucks, yet sees itself in the sixteenths.

I BELIEVE WE CAN WIN!

The bracket.

Yeah Group C was a joke - teams like Italy and Portugal can't be too happy looking back on the draws. Greece absolutely blows, and what makes it worse here in NJ is having to hear people of Greek descent crowing about it. Oh well, they can have their fun until Costa Rica obliterates them.

If we beat Belgium we'd likely face Argentina after they beat Switzerland. Getting past them would be an amazing feat, but I'm getting a little bit ahead of myself here. The bracket looks to be shaping up for Brazil/Germany & Neth./Argentina semis, but if not for upsets they wouldn't play. Let's keep it going!
Pila
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jun 28 2014, 04:50 PM) *
The bracket.

Yeah Group C was a joke - teams like Italy and Portugal can't be too happy looking back on the draws. Greece absolutely blows, and what makes it worse here in NJ is having to hear people of Greek descent crowing about it. Oh well, they can have their fun until Costa Rica obliterates them.

If we beat Belgium we'd likely face Argentina after they beat Switzerland. Getting past them would be an amazing feat, but I'm getting a little bit ahead of myself here. The bracket looks to be shaping up for Brazil/Germany & Neth./Argentina semis, but if not for upsets they wouldn't play. Let's keep it going!

For those Yanks that still cannot appreciate the sport, they should watch the Algeria - Germany match. The incredible sacrifice, skilll, will, tactics and fortune, are all highlighted in that game. Shame Algeria had to lose.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Jul 1 2014, 09:38 AM) *
For those Yanks that still cannot appreciate the sport, they should watch the Algeria - Germany match. The incredible sacrifice, skilll, will, tactics and fortune, are all highlighted in that game. Shame Algeria had to lose.

Germany dominated the game, but Algeria certainly put some serious pressure on at times. It was a fun match to watch. I'm not quite sure what's not to like. I suppose the diving turns some people off, but the drama has been pretty strong.
Pila
Tim Howard heroics wasn't enough, unfortunately. But what a beast.

Belgium is an excellent team with a quality midfield and top notch, world class players in Witzel, Hazard, Kompany, but the US' midfield was disappointing going forward and barely served Dempsey anything of quality in the turn of play. And Dempsey isn't Altidore. Altidore can hold the ball and play with his back to the goal. Dempsey, not so much.

Valiant effort, though. Especially by Tim Howard and Jermaine Jones, who were MOMs in this tournament. Bradley was a disappointment, frankly. We needed him to have a good game today, but he never took control of the midfield and was clearly dominated by Axel Witzel.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jul 1 2014, 05:19 PM) *
Germany dominated the game, but Algeria certainly put some serious pressure on at times. It was a fun match to watch. I'm not quite sure what's not to like. I suppose the diving turns some people off, but the drama has been pretty strong.

Not really. Algeria counter game was by design. For all of Germany's quality in the midfield, they're vulnerable in the back. Algeria, like Ghana, exploited that by being patient and then break with numbers and cause one-on-ones with Germany's unimpressive CBs. If Algeria had a real finisher, Feghouli's work on that right side, his eating up Boateng with amazing ease so regularly would have embarrassed Germany by a considerable margin.

Unlike today, where Belgium drove the US midfield back and simply smothered the counter with relative ease. Yesterday's game was played on Algeria's terms.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Pila @ Jul 1 2014, 07:26 PM) *
Tim Howard heroics wasn't enough, unfortunately. But what a beast.

Belgium is an excellent team with a quality midfield and top notch, world class players in Witzel, Hazard, Kompany, but the US' midfield was disappointing going forward and barely served Dempsey anything of quality in the turn of play. And Dempsey isn't Altidore. Altidore can hold the ball and play with his back to the goal. Dempsey, not so much.

Valiant effort, though. Especially by Tim Howard and Jermaine Jones, who were MOMs in this tournament. Bradley was a disappointment, frankly. We needed him to have a good game today, but he never took control of the midfield and was clearly dominated by Axel Witzel.

More than once I asked myself what the hell Bradley was doing. Beautiful touch by him getting the assist on the only goal in the game, but still he had an overall shitty game. Howard has earned himself a few years of Wheaties endorsements for sure, he comes from about 20 minutes from where I live and people around here were pretty excited about his performance.

At the end of the day, there were no upsets in the knockout round, and all of the 8 group winners remain. We sure had some chances to steal this one though.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jul 2 2014, 03:11 PM) *
More than once I asked myself what the hell Bradley was doing. Beautiful touch by him getting the assist on the only goal in the game, but still he had an overall shitty game. Howard has earned himself a few years of Wheaties endorsements for sure, he comes from about 20 minutes from where I live and people around here were pretty excited about his performance.

At the end of the day, there were no upsets in the knockout round, and all of the 8 group winners remain. We sure had some chances to steal this one though.

I thought Zusi was far shittier than Bradley yesterday.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jul 2 2014, 04:27 PM) *
I thought Zusi was far shittier than Bradley yesterday.

The whole midfield was pretty bad, take your pick. We were simply up against a better team, and still almost pulled it off.
Pila
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jul 2 2014, 11:45 PM) *
The whole midfield was pretty bad, take your pick. We were simply up against a better team, and still almost pulled it off.

Bradley's assist is the sort of thing the team needed more of - that penetrating pass that gets behind the defense. Instead we saw a lot of square passes, drops to the defenders, or prayers for Dempsey.

Jermaine Jones was excellent at his role, which was to break up game and cover for Beasley when he overlapped. He was less effective against Belgium, but that because Eden Hazard was on the opposite for the most part. Belgium just had too many solutions for the US.

Having said that, I expect an all-Americas final. Just think they're stronger than the Europeans. Wouldn't surprise me to see Brazil bore everyone to a final. Colombia is going to give them a scare though. Refs will help Brazil out a bit too.

I consider Brazilians my step cousins, but I deal with too many of them here in Portugal to overcome their petty smack. So I'm rooting for Costa Rica.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.