Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: NBA draft thread
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
TGryn
The Sixers' positioning certainly got more interesting with the announcement that Embiid has undergone surgery for a stress fracture in his foot. That will probably push Wiggins and Parker to be the de facto 1-2 picks, leaving the 76ers with a number of decisions to make.
  • Should they try and trade up? They have five second round picks, but I don't know that even all five gets you up to #2, much less #1. The #10 pick is probably what it would take...which is too rich, if it was me.
  • Should they trade down? If so, how far and for what? They certainly don't need any more #2s. Phoenix and Chicago are two teams with multiple #1s, so that might be a possibility.
  • Should they take someone else at #3, like Exum?
  • Or should they just take Embiid at #3, resign themselves to his sitting out a year as they did with Noel, and figure that they have to strike it rich between the two of them? The problem with this is, if they both get healthy, does the Twin Towers approach of playing both big men together work in today's NBA?
nephillymike
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jun 20 2014, 04:14 PM) *
The Sixers' positioning certainly got more interesting with the announcement that Embiid has undergone surgery for a stress fracture in his foot. That will probably push Wiggins and Parker to be the de facto 1-2 picks, leaving the 76ers with a number of decisions to make.
  • Should they try and trade up? They have five second round picks, but I don't know that even all five gets you up to #2, much less #1. The #10 pick is probably what it would take...which is too rich, if it was me.
  • Should they trade down? If so, how far and for what? They certainly don't need any more #2s. Phoenix and Chicago are two teams with multiple #1s, so that might be a possibility.
  • Should they take someone else at #3, like Exum?
  • Or should they just take Embiid at #3, resign themselves to his sitting out a year as they did with Noel, and figure that they have to strike it rich between the two of them? The problem with this is, if they both get healthy, does the Twin Towers approach of playing both big men together work in today's NBA?

Good post TG. I'm glad it came up for conversation.

First, I need to point out my disappointment in the situation. I went from being ecstatic that we would likely get a top two pick based on our tanking record, to being slightly disappointed in when we got the third pick, to being optimistic that we'd get one of the top three.

At first, I didn't want Embiid, I wanted Parker, but then after readin gall the scouting reports, he was ticketed to be the best and he could fall to us. I was warming up to the idea. Then the back, now the foot. I fear he's damaged goods and a present and future injury risk. I'll take him if he falls to ten (very unlikely), other than that, I'll invoke the Ruland Rule and remove him from my draft board.

That leaves me riding third in a two horse race. And really, I think Wiggins has high flop potential. I prefer Parker with our pick and only him. To get him, we'll need to get really lucky and I don't see either of the others taking Embiid's injury risk.

Seeing the long odds of us getting Parker has caused my interest to wane a bit, just when I need some sports fix.

One other thing. I don't get the talk of trading MCW for another lottery pick. Why trade a young rookie of the year to draft another guy you hope can be that good? I'll stay with MCW.

nephillymike
http://nbadraft.net/

Pretty good site.

Embiid and Levine, would you??
nephillymike
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ds-foot-injury/

This injury scares me.
nephillymike
Also, check out this neat history of production for players selected at each spot in the draft.

http://www.draftexpress.com/NBA-draft-pick-stats/1/PER
nephillymike
Here's a little chart that I came up with from the one link above.

From 1957 thru 2013, there have been 57 NBA drafts.

By position, here are the number of HOFers and players who have appeared in an all-star game by spot selected in the draft. I list the first ten spots as we have the 3rd and 10th picks and figured it would cover likely trade up/down possibilities. I also list the historical results of five slots for our second round picks

Pick #.HOF.......AS
#1. .....14........41 (25% shot at HOF, 72% shot at Allstar)
#2.......10........23
#3.........6........26 (11% shot at HOF, 46% shot at AS)
#4.........3........18
#5.........5........23
#6.........5........17
#7.........4........11
#8.........3........10
#9.........2........14
#10.......2........14 (4% HOF, 25% AS)
==============================================
#32.......0.........2 (two made all star for a combined 5 times)
#39.......0.........0
#47.......0.........2 (two made all star, once each)
#52.......0.........0
#54.......0.........0

#3 may have the best to ever play the game: Wilt and Jordan!! Also, D. Wilkins, Pistol Pete, McHale and Thurmond were #3's

#10 to old timers in the Hall, but how about getting a ten time future HOFer like Paul Pierce??

The second round? Fagettaboutit!!
TGryn
Man, this is discouraging:
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers...on_Embiid_.html
...there's a chance this injury hinders (Embiid's) career like it has for other 7-footers. Yao suffered a stress fracture to the navicular bone, the same injury as Embiid's, in 2008 and again in 2009. Yao was eventually forced to retire in 2011 because of it. Hall of Famer Bill Walton only played 14 games in the 1978 season before missing the next two seasons with the injury. Walton was never the same player when he returned. And the stress fracture later led to ankle problems. Eric Montross was also forced to retire due the injury. Zydrunas Illgauskas was sidelined 202 games because of it. And Brendan Hayward hasn't played since the end of the 2012-13 campaign as a result of the injury.

Sounds like no big men who have stress fractures in their feet ever fully recover from it.

more: http://hoopshabit.com/2014/06/23/serious-s...es-nba-players/
Overall, players suffering stress fractures since the 1999-2000 season played just 65.9 percent of games over the rest of their careers. They also suffered seven future stress fractures, and 34 percent of the players had future injury to the involved area. Back stress injuries had the highest incidence of future injury and the highest percentage of future missed games, while foot stress injuries had the highest occurrence of future stress fractures. Based on this information, a player who suffers a stress fracture has roughly a one-in-three chance of having future issues with the injury. That seems like a risk for a team that has to make a decision on a player with a stress fracture, like teams will have to do with Joel Embiid on Thursday. Embiid has now had two stress fractures diagnosed in the last three months. Those stress fractures have come in his back and foot, the two most problematic stress fractures, as this information indicates.
nephillymike
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jun 23 2014, 02:53 PM) *
Man, this is discouraging:
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers...on_Embiid_.html

Sounds like no big men who have stress fractures in their feet ever fully recover from it.

more: http://hoopshabit.com/2014/06/23/serious-s...es-nba-players/

Damn TG, that IS bad news.

You've reinforced my decision to remove him from my draft board.

It's a shame b/c he would have been and all star player.
TGryn
I'm OK with taking Embiid even if he's going to miss most of 2014-2015, like Noel did. What concerns me are the odds that this will be an ongoing issue that prematurely ends his career (I'm thinking Greg Oden, even though Oden's playing part-time again as a backup for Miami).
nephillymike
Embiid is a long term risk and chronic so I avoid him.

I try to get up to 1 or 2 by offering Thad or #10. If no takers, I trade down a few slots, get an extra player or pick and Combine that pick, the #10 and the extra pick/player and go from there.
Zero
Not really a hoops fan but after The Year of the Tank I'd do whatever necessary to get that HOF player.
Flying Dutchman
I'm no B-Ball expert, but given the probability that Wiggins and Parker are gone by our pick, I am getting seriously interested in us taking IU (my Alma Mater's) young freshman sensation Noah Vonleh. This 18 yr old kid is already 6'10" and 245 with an unbelievable wingspread of 7'4" and the second biggest hands ever measured at draft time of 11.75". Oh yeah, he has powerful legs like tree trunks, a rep for being exceptionally hard-working, and a strong rebounder, with a good outside shot . He's got average athleticism but could/should grow into a really good Power Forward. There are a bunch of good SGs who should be available at #10.
Zero
As previously stated, I'm not an NBA or hoops fan. That said, I find this nugget intriguing:
Now that Cleveland has James, they will need to finagle their roster a bit to ensure him the money that he will command and another prized player (Kevin Love). Early hints seem to indicate that perhaps Andrew Wiggins, last month’s No. 1 overall pick by the Cavs, is going to be moved. In James’ letter, he named some Cleveland players that he was excited to be joining, but left Wiggins’ name out. Could the crafty Hinkie make something work for a deal that would bring Wiggins to Philadelphia?
Linc ...
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jul 12 2014, 08:54 AM) *
As previously stated, I'm not an NBA or hoops fan. That said, I find this nugget intriguing:
Linc ...

That is interesting. I am not a big believer in Wiggins, but it would perk some interest. Got to be careful of not fielding a lower tier playoff team next year, lest we forfeit a 1st round pick.
nephillymike
What is with this one game on one game off schedule for Noel?

Stop babying the kid. Toughen him up!
nephillymike
Cleveland's GM just said Wiggins is going no where.

Am I seeing this right and our hopes of getting another first round pick for taking on salary has seemed to vanish with all the recent dealings?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.