Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How good does the defense need to be?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Even without Jackson the Eagles' offense should be pretty good ... dynamic, high-octane? The growth of Ertz, the addition of both Sproles and a more talented slot receiver (I will miss Avant though) plus this being the second year in the offense for most of the players may even result in a better offense that we saw last year ... should? There were a couple of games where the offense slumped but most of their losses last year were because the defense couldn't stop.

So, how much improvement do we need to get from the defense to a- win the NFC East again, b- win a playoff game, and c- have a realistic chance of really challenging? They did a lot better at the end of last year than they did early on, but there were still real issues that need correcting. How much of that was a result of learning a completely new defense (3-4 vs 4-3) and not just a new coordinator's scheme? And, how much did talent play into it?

Phil Sheriden points out that the Eagles apparently think talent wasn't the biggest issue because they didn't do much there in FA. Not sure about that because they grabbed Jenkins right off then went back and got Nolan. Then they added more DB help through the draft and only one pass rusher albeit their first pick. It seems more likely that the team knew what the realistic expectations were and opted to take a patient route instead of a dream team route.

It seems the team did think the biggest talent issue was the defensive backfield, mainly safety. I agree with Sheriden that it appears that Davis and Kelly also felt the second biggest problem was the learning curve. It seems reasonable to think that another year in the system should bring some improvement in results, especially with Jenkins vs Chung and Nolan vs Charmichael.

Not a stunning improvement maybe but how many plays need to be improved to win a couple of the games that were lost? If the offense improves, how much better does the defense actually need to be to win a game like San Diego? Jackson and RGIII should present a challenge and the Giants should play better. If the Eagles make it to the playoffs they'll have to face Rogers or the 9er's or Seahawks.
Birdbrain
I think adding Jenkins was a sign that our secondary was in the wrong place a lot of the time. From what I've seen and read, Jenkins is merely a decent safety talent-wise, but an exceptional leader and a smart guy with an eye for diagnosis and anticipation. I think this is where Chip hopes to see improvement on the back end defensively, by limiting blown coverages as much as possible and forcing opposing offenses to earn their yards with superior play.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdbrain @ Jun 7 2014, 11:33 AM) *
I think adding Jenkins was a sign that our secondary was in the wrong place a lot of the time. From what I've seen and read, Jenkins is merely a decent safety talent-wise, but an exceptional leader and a smart guy with an eye for diagnosis and anticipation. I think this is where Chip hopes to see improvement on the back end defensively, by limiting blown coverages as much as possible and forcing opposing offenses to earn their yards with superior play.

Yo BB, where ya been?

Hope all is well. Good to hear from you.

My son who was at that tailgate just graduated high school this week. He still says that day was one of the best in his life of 17 years. He remembers having a catch with your Dad.

Good day that was!
nephillymike
As for the defense, I saw something on line, maybe Eagles 24/7, that estimated that the Eagles would only have one new starter on the team this year:

Jenkins for Chung.

That's it.

To only get one new starter on a weak defense seems ill advised at first look.

So they are counting on the system being the reason.

Let's hope they are right.

Birdbrain
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 7 2014, 11:15 AM) *
Yo BB, where ya been?

Hope all is well. Good to hear from you.

My son who was at that tailgate just graduated high school this week. He still says that day was one of the best in his life of 17 years. He remembers having a catch with your Dad.

Good day that was!

Mike!! Thanks for the welcome, it's great to be back.

I stopped coming around for awhile because of the influx of new posters and their penchant for negativity. At the time it seemed like every thread was turning into a fight, and that's simply not why I come on here. I rarely watch ESPN/political TV for the same reason. Mostly it's just people shouting at each other and getting personal, and I like to reserve that kind of energy for the games, my yelling and name-calling for players like Kurt Coleman (Adios!!) or announcers like Moose and Goose (morons, par excellence).

My dad and I still talk about that day all the time. Soooo glad to hear about your boy graduating!! What a great kid. Dad and I try to make a game each year, so maybe we can pull together another reunion, if circumstances allow. We would both love that.
Birdbrain
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 8 2014, 06:25 AM) *
As for the defense, I saw something on line, maybe Eagles 24/7, that estimated that the Eagles would only have one new starter on the team this year:

Jenkins for Chung.

That's it.

To only get one new starter on a weak defense seems ill advised at first look.

So they are counting on the system being the reason.

Let's hope they are right.

Amen. I think Chip feels confident that having the system run more smoothly on both sides of the ball is what will give us the most improvement from last year.
Dreagon
Well, the Giants defense ain't what it was so they are probably going to be leaning more on their offense.
Our defense blows, so we're going to be completely leaning on our offense to outscore opponents.
I think the Redskins are the only team who's defense looks better, but we still have to see what their offense is going to be this year.

So as far as you guys go, if Foles and Co. can maintain last years form, your defense should be okay if it rates average.
Rick
Well, first of all they need to stop giving up TD passes. For the last 5ish years (maybe more?) it seems like we give up TD pass after TD pass. Secondary needs to improve for sure. Hopefully, with a new safety, they'll do a little better but I'm not encouraged by what I've seen so far. We'll have to wait and see what they play like when the games start.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.