Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kelce ... culture
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
"I think this culture Chip is trying to build, he's trying to get a lot of guys who are hungry to learn, driven, passionate about the game, smart," said Kelce. "I think he puts a lot of emphasis on guys being accountable and being good teammates because at the end of the day, accountability and consistency are usually what win football games."
Linc ...

Just thought the insight is interesting.
nephillymike
I hear you and I credit Kelce for putting his name to his quote.

However, if Jackson was only making $3M per year, would they have cut him? I don't think so.

And to get nothing for him is a crime.

Sure it's nice to resign a backup OL to an extension, but in the big scheme of things, they should have handled it in a way that either would have gotten a return for the 63rd best player in the NFL, whether by trade, or by using his money to make this year's squad better.
Zero
Agreed that they should have gotten something for him, made the team better. No doubt. But it's done and we move on.

I'm excited for the season to begin. I'm dying to see Ertz in the offense and have hopes that Matthews can step in as a rookie and Johnson become as dynamic a T as Peters. I want to see if the defense will be improved enough to hold opposing teams back from out scoring the offense.

I'm ready!
nephillymike
I heard Sal Pal gushing over Matthews yesterday on Mikey Miss' show.

Apparently, that NFLPA function he attended last week only invited 32 rookies, one from each team.

It was some event with sponsors etc and they chose Matthews as the rookie they wanted from the Eagles.

Sal said everyone who met with him there that he spoke to were very impressed with him.

He said if he can play football 1/2 as good as he comes off to others, we have ourselves a perennial Pro Bowl player!

I can't wait to see him play.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 4 2014, 06:16 AM) *
I hear you and I credit Kelce for putting his name to his quote.

However, if Jackson was only making $3M per year, would they have cut him? I don't think so.

And to get nothing for him is a crime.

Sure it's nice to resign a backup OL to an extension, but in the big scheme of things, they should have handled it in a way that either would have gotten a return for the 63rd best player in the NFL, whether by trade, or by using his money to make this year's squad better.

Just curious....if there are no trade partners....no other team willing to trade a even a soup sandwich for the "63rd best player" how do you trade him?

I still don't understand something....the 63rd best player in the NFL is a free agent and the facts....that is facts, not conjecture....are that he was able to land only 8 mill a year and nothing better in the open market......or as PFT put it:

Under the circumstances, it’s a very good deal for DeSean. Especially since there’s a good chance that, instead of multiple other suitors willing to pay big money (“mystery” or otherwise), Jackson in actuality had a crazy handful of nothin’.
Birdbrain
Hey fellas. It's been a looooong while. Mikey, Zero, Reality Fan! Awesome to log back in and see some familiar faces. I hope you guys have all been well. I've missed being around these here parts.

As for the topic at hand, I think Kelce's insight is telling. Chippie mentioned the other day about how Foles never feels as though he's arrived. I immediately thought of desean, who seems to me like the opposite of that, and maybe that's a piece of the puzzle. I also think Chippie may assume that achieving separation with size and efficiency of execution will more than compensate for desean's method, speed.
Zero
QUOTE (Birdbrain @ Jun 6 2014, 11:34 PM) *
Hey fellas. It's been a looooong while. Mikey, Zero, Reality Fan! Awesome to log back in and see some familiar faces. I hope you guys have all been well. I've missed being around these here parts.

As for the topic at hand, I think Kelce's insight is telling. Chippie mentioned the other day about how Foles never feels as though he's arrived. I immediately thought of desean, who seems to me like the opposite of that, and maybe that's a piece of the puzzle. I also think Chippie may assume that achieving separation with size and efficiency of execution will more than compensate for desean's method, speed.

Welcome back, Bb.
JeeQ
Chip-ism #42:

Culture >>> Talent
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 4 2014, 08:15 PM) *
Just curious....if there are no trade partners....no other team willing to trade a even a soup sandwich for the "63rd best player" how do you trade him?

I still don't understand something....the 63rd best player in the NFL is a free agent and the facts....that is facts, not conjecture....are that he was able to land only 8 mill a year and nothing better in the open market......or as PFT put it:

Under the circumstances, it’s a very good deal for DeSean. Especially since there’s a good chance that, instead of multiple other suitors willing to pay big money (“mystery” or otherwise), Jackson in actuality had a crazy handful of nothin’.

He got $16M guaranteed, which from his standpoint, achieved his goal of more guaranteed money as opposed to his $10M base. And you can look up our own poll on this website to see that it exceeded all expectations that we had. You also forget that he was released after the great majority of free agent money was spent. You know very well that he would have gotten a boatload more if he was released earlier. AND, I think he would have had a decent trade value at draft day because some team that came up empty in their quest to get a good WR in this WR heavy draft would have given up something of value to get him. MY guess is that would have happened mid to late 2nd round when teams realized they weren't going to get the new WR they wanted. My guess is he would have got us a 3rd round pick at that point if not a third plus a lower round pick. They blew it.

From Roto World
4/1/2014: Signed a three-year, $24 million contract. The deal contains $16 million guaranteed -- a $5 million signing bonus plus ALL of Jackson's 2014-2015 scheduled payments. 2014: $1 million (+ $500,000 workout bonus + $1.5 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2015: $3.75 million (+ $500,000 workout bonus + $3.75 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2016: $3.75 million (+ $500,000 workout bonus + $3.75 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2017: $8 million (Auto-Void Year), 2018: Free agent

And even though he hit the market so late, his deal tied for 10th in money per year and was sixth in guaranteed amount out of all of the free agents signed this year.

http://overthecap.com/2014signings.php

The "he didn't get paid and teams really don't see him as any good" argument doesn't hold water. That's a fact.

Thinking that he would have garnered a good pick for us, that's an educated guess on my part. But we got a bunch for Brown so I don't think the trade market was that dry.

Lastly, that we should have used the $10M in savings to improve this year's team is common sense. No need to be 85% of cap with a returning playoff team.
D Rock
Snyder would pay a retarded monkey with a chronic masturbation problems if he had DJax level name recognition. The money proves nothing beyond Snyder still being a dip shit.

More telling is that no other team came calling. I'll need more than deseans agents word to convince me there were indeed other interested teams.
TGryn
At the risk of pouring cold water on the love-in:

Avant bought in to the program 100%, was the prime example of being accountable and consistent, to the point of being one of the team leaders who was a stabilizing influence on DJax...and they still cut him. Being a top teammate and setting a good example only goes so far.

For what its worth, I think every team in the NFL is like this, so its not like Kelly is any different that way.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Birdbrain @ Jun 6 2014, 11:34 PM) *

Good to see you again BB. Always nice to see an AWOL bird find his way back to the nest.
Birdbrain
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Jun 9 2014, 05:08 PM) *
Good to see you again BB. Always nice to see an AWOL bird find his way back to the nest.

Thanks, SAM! It's great to be back! I'm so fired up for this season. My terminal optimism engine is in full swing right now and I'm shamelessly reveling in it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.