Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A good read ...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Eagles Rewind does a good job of taking an objective stab at the Eagles off-season and what we might expect from them this year.
Between the draft, free agency, and the D-Jax cut, it’s been hard to find a logic thread connecting all of the moves. For the most part, it looks like the Eagles realize they’re still in the “build” stage of team construction. That explains the draft. Smith, Matthews, and Huff are all fine prospects, but as I’ve covered before, they shouldn’t be expected to contribute a lot in year one (the team knows this, the fans haven’t realized it yet).

It also partially explains the Jackson move. Howie/Chip don’t want to pay a WR that much, and Jackson’s cap hit was going to hurt at some point, especially when it came time to extend Foles, Cox, Kendricks, etc… Now that doesn’t explain the TIMING of it (why now and not next offseason), but it at least has some logic to it.

On the flip side, though, there’s the trade for Darren Sproles. If you’re still in “build” mode, you probably aren’t looking to give up draft picks for a 30+ year old running back. I still haven’t quite figured this one out. Similar to the rookies, I don’t think the team plans on using Sproles as much as fans seem to think they will.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 1 2014, 08:22 AM) *
Eagles Rewind does a good job of taking an objective stab at the Eagles off-season and what we might expect from them this year.

I don't see it.

The five best players on last year's team were McCoy, Jackson, Peters, Foles and Mathis.

One is gone, in two years, three others skill levels will have decreased significantly b/c of age and wear and tear.

That leaves us with Foles and the guys who were here not in the top five and our picks.

If they didn't craft the moves with the intent of winning now, they are sorely mistaken.

NFL - Not For Long.

Me, I think they are playing for this year within the financial contraints of only using 85% of the cap which has been their MO for most years. It will fail, as the pressure to be right at 85% cap usage is too great and you need that other 10-15% to give you the wiggle room to make mistakes in picks, resigns etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.