Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: best local eagles radio station
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
canadianeagle
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give a few recommendations of a good local eagles radio station. I like espn radio but not a ton of Eagles coverage.

Thanks
Zero
Try WIP on the internet if you haven't already. There are shows I enjoy and others I avoid. I particularly enjoy Saturday morning (10 AM) with Glen Macnow and Ray Didinger.
nephillymike
Google 94.1 WIP and 97.5 The fanatic.

Those are the two sports talk shows in town and you should be able to get live stream on both.

Here is my preferred listening schedule depending on when I can check in

7AM-10AM - WIP Angelo Cataldi's Morning Show - you won't learn anything, but he will get you riled up about something. It is amusing sometimes. Joe Conklin does some comedy skits on there that are many time hilarious.

10AM - Noon - WIP Mike and Ike. Mike Barkaan and Ike Reese. Decent show. The 97.5 alternative is Tony Bruno which he doesn't bring much to the table. However, if it is Dallas week, tune in to Bruno as there are few people who express their hatred of Dallas like Bruno.

Noon - 2:00 - Fanatic - Sean Brace and Jon Marks - younger guys who do a real good job.

2:00 - 6:00 - Fanatic - Mike Missianelli. The highest rated non am rush show in the area. Offers a lot. Has some games/call in trivia type contests once in a while that will pass the time during slow periods. Opinionated but unlike Eskin, he will admit he's wrong and he's not a front office kiss ass of any team.

6:00 - 7:00 - Fanatic - Joe DeCamra - he will have Jaws, Trot and other co hosts from time to time. He's decent. Some parts of his show are reviews of what happened that day.

7:00 on - I will go back and forth depending on the topic/host etc. Nick Kail on the Fanatic and Josh Ennis on WIP. Neither are a very strong listen. I can't believe they took McNow off weekdays for Ennis.

Saturdays:

7:00 - 8:00 AM both WIP and Fanatic have best of the week cuts. A worthwhile catch up.

8:00 - 10:00 - I normally split time between Eskin on WIP and Brace and Marks on 97.5 depending on topic. Now that Eskin lost his afternoon slot, he does come up with different takes on weekly issues and he works hard for stories so you may learn some inside things you haven't heard. He is abrasive so you may tire quickly. Brace and Marks are solid and I prolly listen to them a little more.

10:00 - 1:00 - WIP. Ray Didinger and Glen MacNow. As Z said, the best show on radio and a can't miss. As long as Diddy is there, it's a must listen whether with Glenn or Ruben Frank or Rob Ellis. Glen and Ray have a real good banter back and forth and are a very comfortable listen, like Harry and Whitey in some ways.

1:00 on - Fanatic's crew is stronger than WIP's Hollis Thomas and Rob Charry, but not great.

Listen often and get the real feel for the Philly curse:

The joy of winning and the agony of listening about it the next day on sports talk!!

TGryn
  • Didinger and Macnow is the only one I make an effort to not miss (via the Internet), especially if I'm driving around on Saturdays. I don't think people are neutral on them: they either like them a lot, or find them especially boring.
  • Occasionally Jody Mac will fill in on WIP, but that's not regular. I think he's making a living doing fill ins between WIP, WFAN, and shows on Sirius. You can find out when and where he's on next via his twitter feed at https://twitter.com/jodymacman
  • During the season Merrill Reese's "Pro Football Report" on his station WBCB is usually pretty solid, but its on only rarely when games aren't being played: http://wbcb1490.com/pro-football-report/
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ May 30 2014, 12:04 PM) *
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give a few recommendations of a good local eagles radio station. I like espn radio but not a ton of Eagles coverage.

Thanks

Listening to Cataldi in the morning is great - it's like hearing members of wingheads argue in person. At least 4-5 times a week someone, whether it be a caller, Angelo, or one of his sidekicks, will go into a lengthy rant about Donovan McNabb, Charlie Manuel, or Andy Reid. It truly is like being in a bar in Philly, and he has a lot of highly entertaining regular callers, and Joe Conklin skits as mentioned. Al Morganti, Ben Davis, and Keith Jones are regulars, so there's also some legit sports talk, he also had Chip Kelly on every Monday morning at 8 during last season and gave surprisingly good interviews.

Gargano and Ellis in the afternoon are a good team. Ellis used to have the evening show by himself, and IMO he's the most knowledgeable on the station, especially about baseball. He was kicked down to the afternoon to replace the dull Macnow.

Innes in the evening was poorly received at first, mostly because he's an 'outsider,' but frankly I'm glad to have a non-Philly fan on WIP. He gives his honest and blunt opinion, without any bias or need to reassure himself that his teams are doing to do ok. While every host in Philly talks about hope every time the Phillies win 2 in a row, Innes has been telling us how much they suck from day 1 and how we have no shot at the postseason, and he's right. Same with how far we are from a Super Bowl win, even after last year's good season.

I don't believe I've ever tuned in to 97.5, and don't think I will anytime soon, but I'm sure they got some good shows too. I refuse to ever listen to Howard Eskin's voice ever again, the sound of it makes me think of Joe Banner and Andy Reid getting their weasels greased by fanboys.
nephillymike
HOP,

Take a long listen to some of the Fanatic shows. I think you will like them. I was a life long WIPer (sans Eskin), but I think 97.5 has some good offerings.
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 31 2014, 11:20 AM) *
Listening to Cataldi in the morning is great - it's like hearing members of wingheads argue in person. At least 4-5 times a week someone, whether it be a caller, Angelo, or one of his sidekicks, will go into a lengthy rant about Donovan McNabb, Charlie Manuel, or Andy Reid. It truly is like being in a bar in Philly, and he has a lot of highly entertaining regular callers, and Joe Conklin skits as mentioned. Al Morganti, Ben Davis, and Keith Jones are regulars, so there's also some legit sports talk, he also had Chip Kelly on every Monday morning at 8 during last season and gave surprisingly good interviews.

Gargano and Ellis in the afternoon are a good team. Ellis used to have the evening show by himself, and IMO he's the most knowledgeable on the station, especially about baseball. He was kicked down to the afternoon to replace the dull Macnow.

Innes in the evening was poorly received at first, mostly because he's an 'outsider,' but frankly I'm glad to have a non-Philly fan on WIP. He gives his honest and blunt opinion, without any bias or need to reassure himself that his teams are doing to do ok. While every host in Philly talks about hope every time the Phillies win 2 in a row, Innes has been telling us how much they suck from day 1 and how we have no shot at the postseason, and he's right. Same with how far we are from a Super Bowl win, even after last year's good season.

I don't believe I've ever tuned in to 97.5, and don't think I will anytime soon, but I'm sure they got some good shows too. I refuse to ever listen to Howard Eskin's voice ever again, the sound of it makes me think of Joe Banner and Andy Reid getting their weasels greased by fanboys.

If you ask me, listening to the morning show, especially the nasal whine of Cataldi is like drinking coffee sweetened with broken glass. I find it intolerable and regret that I can't listen through the crap to hear what is apparently, on occasion some good stuff.

I liked Gargano and Macnow and, although I like them individually don't like listening to Gargano teamed with Ellis. To my ears, too much of their talk sounds strained. Maybe some day they will develop a chemistry or rhythm but I don't think they have it yet. Haven't listened to Innes much but what I have heard ... well, I turned to music.
canadianeagle
Thanks guys. Much appreciated
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ May 31 2014, 08:22 PM) *
If you ask me, listening to the morning show, especially the nasal whine of Cataldi is like drinking coffee sweetened with broken glass. I find it intolerable and regret that I can't listen through the crap to hear what is apparently, on occasion some good stuff.

There really is no middle ground with Cataldi, you either love the show or hate it. A lot of his rants piss me off, and the hate towards Manuel and McNabb is unbearable at times, but the show is entertaining and funny enough on a consistent basis to make me look past it. Also, like I said, we all know a fellow Philly fan like him and argue with people like him on this site and in person. His callers are indeed subhuman.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 31 2014, 08:03 PM) *
HOP,

Take a long listen to some of the Fanatic shows. I think you will like them. I was a life long WIPer (sans Eskin), but I think 97.5 has some good offerings.

I'll try it. I heard Missanelli was like Eskin and a total douchebag.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jun 1 2014, 02:47 PM) *
I'll try it. I heard Missanelli was like Eskin and a total douchebag.

No. Mikey Miss admits he's wrong and isn't up any teams butt.

I give him credit. He had to work with Eskin at WIP and hated Eskins's tell it like it is schtick when really he was favoring the Eagles for access to information. They almost came to blows several times as did Ike Resse when he worked with Eskin.

From Day 1, when he got the gig at 97.5, he said he would beat Eskin in the ratings and that people actually prefer listening to someone who "keeps it real" in that time slot rather than a suck up information whore.

Within two years, he overtook Eskin and Eskin lost his drive time gig. What's not to like about that?
TGryn
Note that Didinger and Macnow's show will now be on both Saturday and Sunday 10-1 starting next week.
Zero
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jun 23 2014, 12:03 PM) *
Note that Didinger and Macnow's show will now be on both Saturday and Sunday 10-1 starting next week.

Good news! Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.