Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An attempt at an unbiased look at our cap status
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
RF asked for an unbiased view of our cap versus other teams. Since it seems we are concerned about this year and next year, I combined the two years to assume that all teams take their unused cap space for this year and roll it forward to go with the cap space projected for next year. The link below is the Eagles overall picture and you can use that same site to look at other teams.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Eagles

I focussed in on our playoff competition from the NFC and the first two teams that just missed the playoffs and the AFC teams that participated in the AFCCG as I figured those nine temas represent our biggest competition for a Lombardi.

The figures below is the sum of the cap space this year and the projected cap space for next year for guys under contract. I then look at some detail numbers for the Eagles included in the 2015 figures to see legitimate cap options we may have:

Combined Cap space for NFC (6 playoff teams plus DAL and ARI)

SEA = 39.0M (that's scary)
GB = 36.0M
PHI = 27.1M
CAR = 19.1M
SF = 17.1M
NO = 0M (ouch!)
==============
DAL = 12.4M
ARI = 1.8M
==============
DEN 36.4M (Boo!)
NE = 1.7M

Now you would need to have the time and knowledge to go thru the detail of each of the above teams for the 2015 year and see how many cap freindly cuts/restructures are available but I did look at the Eagles. The cap figures and cap savings by player for 2015 for some who are potential targets for cuts/restructures

Player........'15 Cap #......'15 Cap Save if Cut
D. Ryans........6.9M.....................6.9M
C. Williams.....8.2M.....................6.5M
B. Celek..........4.8M....................4.8M
J. Casey..........4.0M....................4.0M
N. Carroll........2.9M....................2.9M
T. Herremans..2.8M....................2.8M
M. Jenkins.......5.7M....................2.4M
C. Margos.......1.7M....................1.5M
B. Graham.......3.2M....................1.5M
B.Braman........1.6M....................1.3M

I did not mention any high priced guys who are expected to still be performing at a high level next year (Barwin, Mathis etc)

If our drafts were at all successful this year and last, many of these guys should be expendable and we will have plenty of wiggle room to be able to maintain our cap standard of socking 15% ish of cap space away for future years. Not sure of how that practice will effect our lack of Lombardi's though.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 25 2014, 04:03 PM) *
RF asked for an unbiased view of our cap versus other teams. Since it seems we are concerned about this year and next year, I combined the two years to assume that all teams take their unused cap space for this year and roll it forward to go with the cap space projected for next year. The link below is the Eagles overall picture and you can use that same site to look at other teams.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Eagles

Combined Cap space for NFC (6 playoff teams plus DAL and ARI)

SEA = 39.0M (that's scary)
GB = 36.0M
PHI = 27.1M
CAR = 19.1M
SF = 17.1M
NO = 0M (ouch!)
==============
DAL = 12.4M
ARI = 1.8M
==============
DEN 36.4M (Boo!)
NE = 1.7M

Now you would need to have the time and knowledge to go thru the detail of each of the above teams for the 2015 year and see how many cap freindly cuts/restructures are available but I did look at the Eagles. The cap figures and cap savings by player for 2015 for some who are potential targets for cuts/restructures

Player........'15 Cap #......'15 Cap Save if Cut
D. Ryans........6.9M.....................6.9M
C. Williams.....8.2M.....................6.5M
B. Celek..........4.8M....................4.8M
J. Casey..........4.0M....................4.0M
N. Carroll........2.9M....................2.9M
T. Herremans..2.8M....................2.8M
M. Jenkins.......5.7M....................2.4M
C. Margos.......1.7M....................1.5M
B. Graham.......3.2M....................1.5M
B.Braman........1.6M....................1.3M

If our drafts were at all successful this year and last, many of these guys should be expendable and we will have plenty of wiggle room to be able to maintain our cap standard of socking 15% ish of cap space away for future years. Not sure of how that practice will effect our lack of Lombardi's though.

If our draft is successful this year and last you still need a top of the line inside LB whether it is Ryans or not so savings there would be marginal unless you took a big step back........Williams is a possibility as is Casey. Celek, Heremans and Jenkins aren't going anywhere. The rest are marginal savings but again, you will need to replace depth.

The interesting thing will be Foles performance and his resulting extension and the remainder of the extensions to be handed out. Beyond there is the question of whether they are waiting for next year to take a shot because they don't feel they are there yet.....

I will be pissed if they go into the 2015 season with 20 million in cap space....would that placate you?...lol
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 25 2014, 06:37 PM) *
If our draft is successful this year and last you still need a top of the line inside LB whether it is Ryans or not so savings there would be marginal unless you took a big step back........Williams is a possibility as is Casey. Celek, Heremans and Jenkins aren't going anywhere. The rest are marginal savings but again, you will need to replace depth.

The interesting thing will be Foles performance and his resulting extension and the remainder of the extensions to be handed out. Beyond there is the question of whether they are waiting for next year to take a shot because they don't feel they are there yet.....

I will be pissed if they go into the 2015 season with 20 million in cap space....would that placate you?...lol

After thinking about lack of depth at ILB, I think they feel certain a quality depth guy will be cut elsewhere and will be available for pickup in the summer. I mean Goode, a drug suspended Knott and C. Matthews can't be what there plan is can it? I was shocked we didn't bring two UDFA's at that position.

See my other post about the options available for Foles. No need to break the bank in '15 if they don't want to.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 25 2014, 07:08 PM) *
After thinking about lack of depth at ILB, I think they feel certain a quality depth guy will be cut elsewhere and will be available for pickup in the summer. I mean Goode, a drug suspended Knott and C. Matthews can't be what there plan is can it? I was shocked we didn't bring two UDFA's at that position.

See my other post about the options available for Foles. No need to break the bank in '15 if they don't want to.

in regards to Foles....it is kind of pointless to discuss what happens with him until he plays this year...if he is close to last year he will write his own check...if he is just ok there will be a handful of options...
nephillymike
And just think, this guy gets paid to do this.............

Sound familiar??

Key phrase:

Assuming Roseman intends on locking up the majority of the core players from '12 and beyond, is there merit to the argument that they had to move on from Jackson?

"From a cap standpoint? Next year, yes," said Corry. "This year? No."

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/05/28/wake-call-40/

He fails to point out the real option of foregoing a long term deal and using the 5th year option to buy an extra year look see for Cox and the performance based increase for Foles in year four. I'm still trying to find out about what increase options are available for 2nd round picks.
Flying Dutchman
Doesn't Cole carry a '15 cap of $11.6 mil?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.