Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Comparison of Rosters
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Now that we're done with free agency and done with the draft, I took as look at expected changes in our roster year to year and tried to match them up new player vs. old player replaced. I project that there will be 15 players on the active final 53 man squad from last year that will not make it on this year's begining roster. At first glance, that 29% roster turnover sounds significant. But on a closer look, not so much. I referred to Ourlads depth charts for both the current and end of year 2013 rosters.

There are only two expected changes in our starting 24:

WR J. Maclin for WR D. Jackson
S M. Jenkins for S. P. Chung

There are three non starting but significant contributors from last year's team that were replaced:

QB. M. Sanchez for QB M. Vick
WR. J. Matthews for WR J. Avant
RB. D. Sproles for RB B. Brown

The other ten spots are all in backup or special teams roles:

WR Huff for WR D. Johnson
DE Hart for DE Geathers
LB M. Smith for LB C. Matthews
LB Phillips for LB J. KNott
S Reynolds for S. K. Johnson
S Maragos for S C. Anderson
CB Carroll for CB R. Carmichael
CB Watkins for CB C. Marsh

Two other swap outs not position for position, but based on who I think may win the last two roster spots:

OT UDFA K. Graff for RB M. Tucker
DE B. Allen for S K. Coleman

All other 38 guys on our final active 53 last year who are still on the roster now will make the squad in my premature projection.

The above assumes no injuries for this year in our starting 24. If we just assume the same two injuries as last year and assume the same this year, then we would take Maclin out of the above and take Foles out for six games or so.

Did we do enough versus last year if we have no injuries to our starting 24? Did we do enough this offseason if you assume the same low level of injury to our starting 24 that we had last year?

Anyone??
Eyrie
On paper, I'd say that overall we've got better although there are two concerns - Maclin matching Jackson's production and Sanchez playing.

Jenkins has to be better than Chung, Sproles is easily better than Brown and we can expect more from Matthews than we got from Avant.

But I'm concerned that Henery still seems to be our kicker.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 19 2014, 10:58 AM) *
On paper, I'd say that overall we've got better although there are two concerns - Maclin matching Jackson's production and Sanchez playing.

Jenkins has to be better than Chung, Sproles is easily better than Brown and we can expect more from Matthews than we got from Avant.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 19 2014, 12:58 PM) *

If you keep injuries constant year to year and we remove Maclin again and Foles for six games, then I think our starting 24 is about the same, plus for Jenkins, minus for Sanchez vs Foles of '13, minus for Matthews vs. Jackson.

Providing our draft picks can play at at least a solid backup capacity, we should be deeper.

This analysis was a little sobering for me. It looks like we didn't improve our team as much as we needed to.

Add the tougher schedule and I am concerned.

You have some growth in the system with the team being in year two of Kelly's system, but we have some older players that may fall off a bit. (Celek, Cole, Ryans, Peters, Herremans, Mathis)

We need a few surprises in growth spurts of the youngins, maybe a surprise starter out of the picks and we need to get lucky with the injuries.

Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 19 2014, 01:58 PM) *

I don't think that Chip's objective is for Maclin to equal Jackson's output. I believe his goal is for the offense (as a whole) to be more potent and multi-faceted. Specifically, I expect to see more involvement from the TE's.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 19 2014, 09:57 PM) *
If you keep injuries constant year to year and we remove Maclin again and Foles for six games, then I think our starting 24 is about the same, plus for Jenkins, minus for Sanchez vs Foles of '13, minus for Matthews vs. Jackson.

Providing our draft picks can play at at least a solid backup capacity, we should be deeper.

This analysis was a little sobering for me. It looks like we didn't improve our team as much as we needed to.

Add the tougher schedule and I am concerned.

You have some growth in the system with the team being in year two of Kelly's system, but we have some older players that may fall off a bit. (Celek, Cole, Ryans, Peters, Herremans, Mathis)

We need a few surprises in growth spurts of the youngins, maybe a surprise starter out of the picks and we need to get lucky with the injuries.

You can find holes in every roster which is why I think Lurie got it right: the difference is the coach. I'm not suggesting Chip is THE ONE nor that we have the roster to be SB winners. You need talent, but it's more how the talent is used, IMO. That's what makes this season very interesting, to see what kind of a coach Kelly really is.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ May 20 2014, 06:27 AM) *
You can find holes in every roster which is why I think Lurie got it right: the difference is the coach. I'm not suggesting Chip is THE ONE nor that we have the roster to be SB winners. You need talent, but it's more how the talent is used, IMO. That's what makes this season very interesting, to see what kind of a coach Kelly really is.

^^This
mcnabbulous
I think the big difference will be the progress of the second year players. They showed a ton of promise in year one. If they progress like they should, we should be a better team.

Those back to back drafts in 10/11 directly translated to our poor 2011/2012 teams. It's crucial to get major production from guys in their 2nd and 3rd years. We are in prime position to do so because of our 12/13 drafts.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 20 2014, 05:27 AM) *

Are you happy with the improvement in our roster, year to year?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 20 2014, 08:38 PM) *

I am relatively happy......I like Jenkins, breaking the bank on Ward would be a waste in my opinion....even as a rookie I think Matthews has the potential to exceed Avants contributions lasy year and Sproles should far eclipse Brown's contributions to the offense. I think the offense will be even more dynamic. Foles will have much more options with Maclin(if healthy as anticipated) than he had with Jackson and Speolrs will only add to that. Ertz will be a key. The question is what will Cooper do? I think the D will be better but that is merely my unqualified opinion.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 20 2014, 09:38 PM) *

In recent years they seem to be moving in the right direction ... yes. But, again it's how these guys are used and how they progress.

Ertz last year was a good pick, if Chip starts using TEs more, that pre-season glimpse of three and four TE sets, he could be a beast. I watched the interview of Huff and see what someone said about his nasty demeanor. That could be fun to watch from a WR. I can't help but think Matthews is a perfect fit for Kelly's offense ... hopeful on Smith. Boykin is turning into a slot killer, now we need Cox, Kendricks and Curry to step up. What they do with Curry will be interesting. Foles needs to continue. I like Wolff and Barkley and Johnson will probably end up taking over for Peters some day.

Do you think they could/should have done better?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 21 2014, 04:58 AM) *
In recent years they seem to be moving in the right direction ... yes. But, again it's how these guys are used and how they progress.

Ertz last year was a good pick, if Chip starts using TEs more, that pre-season glimpse of three and four TE sets, he could be a beast. I watched the interview of Huff and see what someone said about his nasty demeanor. That could be fun to watch from a WR. I can't help but think Matthews is a perfect fit for Kelly's offense ... hopeful on Smith. Boykin is turning into a slot killer, now we need Cox, Kendricks and Curry to step up. What they do with Curry will be interesting. Foles needs to continue. I like Wolff and Barkley and Johnson will probably end up taking over for Peters some day.

Do you think they could/should have done better?

Yes to both the "should" and the "could".

I am disappointed. I think we have a great coach, excess cap resources, a very winnable division but I think we are inadequately stocked to go thru our schedule this year. We need to be so much better just to get back to 10-6.

I don't think we are.

The NFL has short careers. If we don't win it this year, Peters will be so so in 2015. Shady with a RB short life, may be just good and not great, Mathis may be just OK.

We need to strike while the iron is hot. IMO, the front office is once bitten twice shy and wants a slow brew recipe and is reluctant to spice it up.

It's a shame.

JeeQ
If Chip falls flat on his face this year he's going to be skewered alive by the fans and media. He made a lot of Chip-Centric moves this offseason and basically put his reputation on the line. We'll see if Culture & Chemistry supersedes Talent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.