Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thought this was interesting
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Regarding pre-draft interviews:
"They wanted to see if I could learn it fast," said Smith. "They put [a play] on the board, erased it and put it back to me.

"The other teams put it on the board and would just talk you through it, just want to see if you can comprehend what they are putting on the board. But you see the Eagles, they put it on the board, took it off and started talking to me and started throwing stuff at you to see if you can comprehend it and [explain it] back to them. That's the difference."

One of Kelly's sayings is, "Dumb people do dumb things and smart people rarely do dumb things.” He puts a heavy emphasis on football intelligence during the evaluation process.
Here ...
Endlessknight
I think this article expands on that

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...the_Eagles.html

Seems like Kelley puts a lot of emphasis on academic intelligence and character
Zero
QUOTE (Endlessknight @ May 17 2014, 07:37 AM) *
I think this article expands on that

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...the_Eagles.html

Seems like Kelley puts a lot of emphasis on academic intelligence and character

... Huff, who, unlike Jackson, can't wait to throw a block on a running play.

"If you have a mindset to go out and dominate the dude lined up across from you," Huff said, "that's going to translate to your teammates."

Again: The Eagles cut Jackson.
nephillymike
I never knew Mamula had a 49 in the wonderlic test. I think we would have heard if he did.

I know McNabb had a 13, which is poor.

There are sample wonderlics on line. They seem very easy.

Hopefully the IQ translates on the field.
nephillymike
Learn something every day
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1130834...-history/page/7
JaxEagle
Love it! I am fine with being the 70's Boston Celtics of the 21st Century NFL.
TGryn
From the WSJ:
The Philadelphia Eagles' Personnel Strategy: Targeting College Grads
Six of the Seven Players the Team Drafted This Year Are on Track to Graduate
...Philadelphia's philosophy of pursuing graduates was born when Roseman, the Eagles' general manager since 2010, and Kelly, the team's second-year coach, each discovered that teams with the most college graduates are overwhelmingly successful. Kelly learned this late in his coaching tenure at Oregon, when former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, whose son played at Oregon, mentioned in a talk to Oregon players that in the 2000s, the two teams who happened to have loads of graduates were the Colts and New England Patriots. Those teams dominated the first decade of this century. "I didn't know he'd take it this far," Dungy said, jokingly.

In a private conversation later, Dungy, now an analyst for NBC, told Kelly that his research showed players with degrees were more likely to earn a second NFL contract and make more money. He told Kelly "the guys with degrees have what you are looking for. They are driven. If it's between two players, a degree might tip the scale. But at the time, I don't think he was even thinking of the NFL."

But before Kelly even arrived in Philadelphia, Roseman was doing his own research. Each year, Roseman and his lieutenants take the last four teams left in the playoffs and do reports on them—studying their players' height, weight, background and virtually everything else. Through those reports came evidence that the most successful teams had many college graduates on them. When Roseman and Kelly joined forces, the plan was clear.

The trends over the last five drafts are startling. Studies show that teams who select players who spent five years in college—and thus almost always have a degree—win big. Of the three teams with the most fifth-year seniors drafted, two of them met in February's Super Bowl: the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos. The Jacksonville Jaguars, who went 4-12, took the fewest.

Those close to Kelly say the degree is largely valued for one reason. "Coach Kelly is an offensive genius," said former Oregon receiver Josh Huff, whom the Eagles took in the third round this month. "You have to be on the same level as him because you have to know why he's doing what he's doing."

Huff said Kelly's offense can be so complex, and understanding every nuance of it is so crucial, that uninitiated players can't be tolerated. Kelly's offense often relies on a no-huddle approach in which the ball is snapped quickly to catch the defense off guard. But it can catch the offense off guard, too.
more at the link.
HOUSEoPAIN
I never knew Mamula had a 49 in the wonderlic test. I think we would have heard if he did.

I know McNabb had a 13, which is poor.

There are sample wonderlics on line. They seem very easy.

Hopefully the IQ translates on the field.

laugh.gif

Obviously they don't translate on the field, if Mamula was a legit genius and McNabb was below average intelligence. Take your wonderlic score, double it and add 60 to translate to your IQ. Mamula's IQ is 158, McNabb's is 86. Average wonderlic/IQ is 20/100. Most IQ scores measure to 160 as the percentage of the population with higher than 160 is pointless to account for. Apparently being a genius doesn't help you shove 300 pound men far enough into the pocket to be able to sack QBs.....

*edit - Frank Gore, who's had a great career, scored 6, translating to a less-than-Gump IQ of 72. He and Gump also were pretty good at running the football.
mcnabbulous
in the 2000s, the two teams who happened to have loads of graduates were the Colts and New England Patriots. Those teams dominated the first decade of this century.

Am I the only one thoroughly unimpressed with this statistic? You know what else the Colts and Patriots also had in the 2000's? Hall of Fame QB's.

I think there are certain positions that benefit from being able to process information quickly. That may or may not be directly related to intelligence. Namely QB, safety, LB, and center. Beyond that, I'll take the premier athletes. Especially places like DL, and WR.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.