Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If you're Trent Cole
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
What are you thinking if you're Trent Cole? The guy is very competitive and proud. Drafting Smith in the first round has everyone saying that he'll learn from Cole for a year then replace him. What does Cole say? Is his tank nearing empty or will he jump start that 31 year old body and have a strong season?
iggleslover49
He'll jump start that 31 year old body and have an even better season that last season. Last year was his first year at olb and he finished stronger than he started. I think he'll continue to get better at the position. He knows what he needs to do from a physique standpoint and has a hell of a work ethic and will get it done.

Marcus Smith is a good athlete, but Trent just sets that edge so well vs. the run its hard for me to see him losing his job this year. Marcus has even admitted his need for more lowerbody strength to improve against the run.
mcnabbulous
I think Smith is going to replace Ryans just as much as Cole.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ May 12 2014, 09:02 AM) *
What are you thinking if you're Trent Cole? The guy is very competitive and proud. Drafting Smith in the first round has everyone saying that he'll learn from Cole for a year then replace him. What does Cole say? Is his tank nearing empty or will he jump start that 31 year old body and have a strong season?

Nothing makes a team better than competition. Cole will have a fire lit under his ass, and you better believe Smith knows he
has to justify his 1st round pick. That = good.
TGryn
Cole's had a year in the system, and his stats indicate things really started to click for him in the second half of last season. He's the rush ROLB this year until someone beats him out.

Working against him is his age, and his contract which has him making $10+ million in 2015-2017. I'm sure TC and his agent are well aware of the economic realities of his situation, and whatever it says on paper, he'll never see those final 3 years as written...which means this is effectively his contract year. He'll either renegotiate and stay an Eagle, or get cut and become a FA. Either way, his 2014 numbers will have a lot to do with how much he'll make in 2015 and 2016.
JeeQ
The Cole Train is going to run over many a QB next season
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ May 12 2014, 12:58 PM) *
The Cole Train is going to run over many a QB next season

I'm rooting for him, a longtime great Eagle. He's in 2nd place for all-time Eagles sack leaders (no shame for not catching up to
White). A 5th round pick for Thrash in 2005, certainly one of the better moves in the Reid/Banner era.
nephillymike
If you're Trent, you're thinking "thank God they didn't pick Attaochu!"

devil03.gif

Sorry about that, that was a softball.

Cole had a nice second half of the year, but really came up short rushing against NO rookie, especially after talking trash beforehand.

Hopefully the rookie is ready to contribute right away and puts him to the test early and often and let the best guy play.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 12 2014, 08:53 PM) *
If you're Trent, you're thinking "thank God they didn't pick Attaochu!"

devil03.gif

That sums up my earlier point. Attaochu has a skillset similar to Cole (or Graham) or 2-3 guys every year. This year it was Ford.

That's not what Chip wanted. He wants a guy with versatility to play in space and rush the passer. That's why we drafted Smith.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 12 2014, 09:01 PM) *
That sums up my earlier point. Attaochu has a skillset similar to Cole (or Graham) or 2-3 guys every year. This year it was Ford.

That's not what Chip wanted. He wants a guy with versatility to play in space and rush the passer. That's why we drafted Smith.

Next year, we'll swap predraft boards and compare how the team did vs. how you had them rated based on the sources you u se. I think I sent you a copy last year.

Hey, I'm a fan I want them to do well. Hopefully this kid has an instant impact at a dire need.

i'll be hoping for it.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 12 2014, 09:11 PM) *
Next year, we'll swap predraft boards and compare how the team did vs. how you had them rated based on the sources you u se. I think I sent you a copy last year.

Hey, I'm a fan I want them to do well. Hopefully this kid has an instant impact at a dire need.

i'll be hoping for it.

While I appreciate your analysis, I don't really think players can be dropped into a list.

Like Howie mentioned, I tend to agree with the tier concept. Additionally, positional value and general availability plays a huge role in how I personally rank players. I think there are certain positions that are extremely difficult to fill. For that reason, I think there is added value and worthwhile risk taking associated with drafting those positions.

Based on my well stated opinion on tackles, it should come as no surprise that I think the Rams were absolutely foolish to spend the #2 pick on a LT who has known pass protection question marks. Especially when a far more rare talent in Sammy Watkins was available.

Not only does an elite WR have more of an on-field impact than an elite LT (compared to a "good" counterpart) but they're far less available in the draft. Including this year, the past 5 drafts have 9 OTs drafted in the top-10.
Greg Robinson
Jake Matthews
Eric Fischer
Luke Joekel
Lane Johnson
Matt Kalil
Tyron Smith
Trent Williams
Russel Okung

Frankly, I don't think there is a great deal that separates the best player in that group from the worst.

In that same period, there have been 6 WRs. In my opinion, Watkins and AJ Green are the only two guys who are truly elite talents. I'd put Julio Jones and Mike Evans a notch below. Tavon Austin below that. And Justin Blackmon is just a talented mess.

Sammy Watkins
Mike Evans
Tavon Austin
Justin Blackmon
AJ Green
Julio Jones

Moral of the story...

There are countless variables that contribute to a player being draftable (let alone drafted) by a specific team. Whether it's as specific as their hand size or more subjective like the way they interacted with the head coach during the combine. Without knowing those specifics, it's silly to try to label things as a reach or steal.
Reality Fan
Don't you think you might want to let Watkins play a game before you anoint him an elite NFL talent?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 13 2014, 04:15 PM) *
Don't you think you might want to let Watkins play a game before you anoint him an elite NFL talent?

I think he has elite talent. Whether that translates to the field will be the result of several variables. None of which are physical.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 13 2014, 09:44 AM) *
While I appreciate your analysis, I don't really think players can be dropped into a list.

Like Howie mentioned, I tend to agree with the tier concept. Additionally, positional value and general availability plays a huge role in how I personally rank players. I think there are certain positions that are extremely difficult to fill. For that reason, I think there is added value and worthwhile risk taking associated with drafting those positions.

Based on my well stated opinion on tackles, it should come as no surprise that I think the Rams were absolutely foolish to spend the #2 pick on a LT who has known pass protection question marks. Especially when a far more rare talent in Sammy Watkins was available.

Not only does an elite WR have more of an on-field impact than an elite LT (compared to a "good" counterpart) but they're far less available in the draft. Including this year, the past 5 drafts have 9 OTs drafted in the top-10.
Greg Robinson
Jake Matthews
Eric Fischer
Luke Joekel
Lane Johnson
Matt Kalil
Tyron Smith
Trent Williams
Russel Okung

Frankly, I don't think there is a great deal that separates the best player in that group from the worst.

In that same period, there have been 6 WRs. In my opinion, Watkins and AJ Green are the only two guys who are truly elite talents. I'd put Julio Jones and Mike Evans a notch below. Tavon Austin below that. And Justin Blackmon is just a talented mess.

Sammy Watkins
Mike Evans
Tavon Austin
Justin Blackmon
AJ Green
Julio Jones

Moral of the story...

There are countless variables that contribute to a player being draftable (let alone drafted) by a specific team. Whether it's as specific as their hand size or more subjective like the way they interacted with the head coach during the combine. Without knowing those specifics, it's silly to try to label things as a reach or steal.

I agree on tiers. You could have ten guys in the same tier and either one is fine.

I would be very interested in seeing how many tiers they have and how many names are on their board. It would be neat to find out.
TGryn
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 13 2014, 04:35 PM) *
I would be very interested in seeing how many tiers they have and how many names are on their board. It would be neat to find out.

Jerry's happy to share!

(in fairness, both times the Cowboys board didn't get leaked until afterwards, but it was still remarkable considering how most teams all but put a minefield around their boards before and during the draft)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.