Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Draft day III (rounds 4-7) thread
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
TGryn
Thanks to the trade with the Texans yesterday, the Eagles have the first pick in both the 4th (101st overall) and 5th (141st) rounds, as well as their own 5th (162nd) and 7th (237th).

* There's a little extra psychological boost to having that first pick in the 4th, in that all the teams are spending this morning readjusting their boards and seeing who's left, and there's a chance a team sees a guy they decide they really want and will trade for that first pick to make sure they get him. That's basically what we did with Barkley in the last draft.

* Following the Huff pick, I would be very surprised if Kelly drafts DAT (De'Anthony Thomas) here at the 4th, mainly because DAT and Huff share a lot of the same qualities in terms of quickness, familiarity with the offense, and Kelly's knowledge of their character. However, if the 5th round rolls around and DAT is still there at the Eagles' pick, that would be my guess as to where we go. With this high a 4th, you're right on the edge of where the talent's still strong enough to maybe yield a possible starter (especially in this draft where a lot of guys have slid and the depth is better than usual). In the 5th and later, you're just trying to get guys who can make the team, and even with his size limitations Thomas would be a fairly sure shot at finding a place in Kelly's offense, given how productive he was in it at Oregon.

* There's still some quality players at 101 who were projected as possible 2nds and 3rds. Some names that pop out are CBs Pierre Desir (good size) and Bashaud Breeland, ILBs Christian Jones and Jordan Zumwalt, OLB Ronald Powell, CB/S Jaylen Watkins, S Dion Bailey, CB Keith McGill (big guy), WR Martavis Bryant (who I thought might be a 2nd round target for us),
JaxEagle
Huff and DAT look good to me but I just find it highly ironic that they would be the bet pick for us at that spot and happen to be from Oregon.
Aitkens
Keep an eye on Aaron Colvin. He was having a great Senior Bowl before he tore his ACL. Dr. James Andrews did the surgery, so we know he's in good hands. Very good corner, who if it wasn't for the injury at the Senior Bowl, he would have been drafted already.

I also believe the play where he injured his ACL was when he was 1 on 1 against Jordan Matthews. Would be pretty crazy if they ended up on the Eagles together.
SLOiggles
A few guys I'm looking at still on the board

Pierre Desir or Bashaud Breeland are good value at CB.

Cameron Fleming at OG/OT would be great depth

Vinnie Sunseri might be a nice lottery pick in the late 6th (if we acquire one in a trade back) or with our 7th rounder. Word is that he's on the right path to recovery and has lateral quickness again.
Dreagon
Well, I think you guys have your wideouts now, so I'm betting yall go back to defense....with an offensive lineman thrown in there somewhere.
Aitkens
Stanford Guard David Yankey is another guy I'd be interested in. Todd Herremans is getting long in the tooth, and Yankey is a guy who can step in as a long term starter.
TGryn
4th round pick is CB Jaylen Watkins, Florida. Here's what Pauline had to say about his Senior Bowl week:
*Jaylen Watkins/DB/Florida:* Watkins exceeded all expectations and performed much better than expected from the start of Senior Bowl practice. He was quick moving in reverse, fast getting to the action and played with a physical style. Watkins, 5-foot-11, 194, was constantly breaking up passes every day and rarely got beat. He has the versatility to line up at cornerback or safety in the NFL and showed the ability to play a complete game.

Aitkens
Unlike Casey Matthews, let's hope that Jaylen Watkins isn't the Frank Stallone of the Watkins family.
mcnabbulous
Works for me...

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 9 2014, 10:27 AM) *
Don't think many PSU fans held ill will towards Fera.

For today, my list would be:
Robinson, Latimer at WR
Dontae Johnson or Jaylen Watkins at CB
Marcus Martin or Xavier Su'a-Filo along the OL

Now I hope we grab John Urschel to play guard. I'd be satisfied.
make_it_rain
i would have rather taken Desir or McGill, but at the end of the day I'm just glad they went defense and didnt take another receiver or trade back.

moving on..
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ May 10 2014, 11:44 AM) *
i would have rather taken Desir or McGill, but at the end of the day I'm just glad they went defense and didnt take another receiver or trade back.

moving on..

Think it's all about versatility on defense. We should get used to that. Watkins has played both safety and corner. Smith can be moved all around. They aren't gonna draft some big NT, when they have a guy like Logan who can move all over the line.

JeeQ
So we have the relative of Jerry Rice, Sammy Watkins, and Clay Matthews on the team... why do I feel like we keep getting stuck with the runt of the family? biggrin.gif

Either way glad we're focusing on that last in the league pass defense finally
nephillymike
QUOTE (TGryn @ May 10 2014, 11:12 AM) *
4th round pick is CB Jaylen Watkins, Florida. Here's what Pauline had to say about his Senior Bowl week:

Decent pick. Had him at 120 and we got him at 101. I like the fact he can play S too. Desir was rated the better pick across the board though.

With the good senior bowl showing, I would have thought he would have moved up on boards more than he did.
JeeQ
Any guesses for our second 5th RD pick? Is there anyone left from Oregon still available?
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 10 2014, 12:10 PM) *
Think it's all about versatility on defense. We should get used to that. Watkins has played both safety and corner. Smith can be moved all around. They aren't gonna draft some big NT, when they have a guy like Logan who can move all over the line.

Yeah McN i like Logan but he got absolutely abused in the NO game. Main reason those holes were open all game. Second was Cole who got shut out by a rookie. We need someone there.
nephillymike
Taylor Hart was a good pick. Had him at 134 and we got him at 141. Many of the seven round mocks had him being selected by us at various times.

Position wise, we need a OG and DT and ILB.
JeeQ
Ed Reynolds - Safety - Stanford

If he can get Nate Allen off the field he's my new favorite player
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 10 2014, 01:52 PM) *
Yeah McN i like Logan but he got absolutely abused in the NO game. Main reason those holes were open all game. Second was Cole who got shut out by a rookie. We need someone there.

He was also a rookie that was probably well beyond the typical rookie wall. He's a good player.

We also were giving them more opportunities to run the ball because we didn't want to get burned in the passing game. We just weren't very good on that side of the ball last year. Chip obviously has a vision for how he plans on building things on that side.

If we wanted someone there, we would have taken someone. It's obviously not a priority in our defense. Once we start doing the stuff we want to be doing on defense, we won't be so vulnerable.

This is why we drafted Watkins

“One of the things that led us to this pick is his versatility, because he has played both [cornerback and safety],” Kelly said Saturday.

"He obviously has the speed to play corner, but we have evidence of him playing safety and doing it at a high level. He could be quarterback of the defense because of his intelligence."

How important is the kid's football I.Q.?

"It's huge," Kelly said. "That's where I think some safeties get separated. They may have the talent aspect of it, but they don't have the intelligence part of it. Our safeties have to make a lot of decisions.

"A lot of our coverages depend on how we want to play against a bunch set, how do we want to play against single wide [receiver], how do we want to play against trips [three wide receivers to one side], and they have to make decisions on the run. You need to have a guy that's pretty decisive and studies it. That's one thing about Jaylen [Watkins] that we were really, really impressed with."

What they want in a DB is a more important factor than some arbitrary rankings you've seen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.