Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Kelly the new Ryan?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Eyrie
Ryan's philosophy was that the defence would win the game and the offense was an afterthought.

Are we seeing the same from Kelly, with the emphasis on building an overwhelming offense and asking the defence to do its best on limited resources?

There is a logic to this approach, as one elite and one average unit is better than two good units.
nephillymike
Buddy was an insecure jerk in a lot of ways. He never could handle a good OC as it would make it easy to replace him. His divisive tactics were mostly to feed his ego.

Chip is not that. We'll see what today brings.

My concern is that Chip's draft philosophy is that of Spurrier. Go with the familiar as opposed to the talent. (PAC 10, Oregon heavy). Remember all those Gators Spurrier drafted?
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 10 2014, 06:54 AM) *
Buddy was an insecure jerk in a lot of ways. He never could handle a good OC as it would make it easy to replace him. His divisive tactics were mostly to feed his ego.

Chip is not that. We'll see what today brings.

My concern is that Chip's draft philosophy is that of Spurrier. Go with the familiar as opposed to the talent. (PAC 10, Oregon heavy). Remember all those Gators Spurrier drafted?

After one year with Kelly vs one year with Spurrier, I don't think the comparison is fair. Kelly had a good intro year last year going 10-6 and winning the NFC East while Spurrier went 7-9 for third in the conference. Of Kelly's first three picks last year, one was PAC 10 and I don't think you'll argue his value. The Eagles seem to be moving forward while the Redskins were a joke.

And even though we don't think they did enough, the Eagles' FA was retaining key players then defense. Not until later did they trade for an offensive weapon in Sproles. What we don't know is what a couple of 2013 obscure rookies will contribute this year or next. Barkley still may develop, Poyer didn't do too badly after he was released, Wolff could help, Kruger could surprise.
TGryn
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 10 2014, 02:54 AM) *

...um, no?

Checking the records, Spurrier only drafted one former player (1st rounder WR Taylor Jacobs in 2003); this is kinda like the popular belief that Reid drafted a lot of BYU players (with Reid being Mormon) and preferred OL as a former lineman himself, when neither was the case. However, Spurrier did have a preference for his ex-QBs (Danny Wuerffel, Shane Matthews), so your bigger point isn't entirely inaccurate.
Dreagon
But your first round pick was a pass rusher blink.gif
JeeQ
At this point I'm pretty sure Kelly is planning on scoring 100 points a game...

I think he must have missed the Super Bowl last season or he would've seen what a #1 Offense looks like when it faces a #1 Defense
nephillymike
QUOTE (TGryn @ May 10 2014, 07:32 AM) *
...um, no?

Checking the records, Spurrier only drafted one former player (1st rounder WR Taylor Jacobs in 2003); this is kinda like the popular belief that Reid drafted a lot of BYU players (with Reid being Mormon) and preferred OL as a former lineman himself, when neither was the case. However, Spurrier did have a preference for his ex-QBs (Danny Wuerffel, Shane Matthews), so your bigger point isn't entirely inaccurate.

It was the QB's I remember.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.