Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New WR
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
make_it_rain
Traded up to 42 to grab him. I'm pretty happy.

6'3 4.44 - All time SEC receiving leader.

Someone on ESPN pointed out that to those still whining about the "reach" in the first round, just flip these two picks around to make you feel better.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ May 9 2014, 07:10 PM) *
Someone on ESPN pointed out that to those still whining about the "reach" in the first round, just flip these two picks around to make you feel better.

Was thinking this long before we even drafted.

I selfishly wanted Robinson, but it's hard to argue with Matthews production against the competition he faced. Excellent pick.
TGryn
Gave up our 4th in the trade, still have both 3rds.

Unfortunately, with his size and that number (87), I suspect some fans will be uncomfortably reminded of Pinkston when watching his highlights...
JeeQ
I applaud this pick... Chip said we were going with big/tall WRs and Matthews fits the bill
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ May 9 2014, 07:14 PM) *
Unfortunately, with his size and that number (87), I suspect some fans will be uncomfortably reminded of Pinkston when watching his highlights...

No way, man. Take a look at his comps:
http://mockdraftable.com/player/4349/

This guy is big. He's more of a straight line guy than I would have preferred, but he's damn good.
TGryn
Sidenote: the draft tonight is averaging 10 picks/hour, which would put the last pick in round 3 happening about 2 AM EST, and our next two picks around midnight. I know the league wants to make this into a media extravaganza and that's why they're having all the ex-players announcing the picks, but c'mon, this is ridiculous.
Zero
He will drop some passes. Per Rotoworld, Matthews dropped 7.69 percent of the catchable balls thrown his way, which is slightly above average.

“Everyone was worried about his speed, and some wonder whether he’s going to be just a possession receiver,” wrote NFL.com’s Gil Brandt. “What I know about Matthews is that he’s one of the hardest-working prospects out there. He’s the guy who, whenever he stops playing football, will be a hugely successful person, whether it’s as a politician or a banker or an entrepreneur. He’s a really special guy.”

Matthews graduated from Vanderbilt with an economics degree in three-and-a-half years. He was also a team captain as a senior.
Here ...
Zero
"He'll fit in beautifully in Philadelphia and in Chip Kelly's offense. He makes tough catches. He has a big body. He ran faster than a lot of people anticipated (4.46-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine). The Eagles get Jeremy Maclin back. They have added Matthews and Darren Sproles. This team is going to be the first-, second- or third-leading scoring team in the league." -- Mike Mayock
Linc ...
TGryn
I think this is from the Vandy pro day:

Aitkens
Chip was clearly in love.
HobbEs
Does anyone know what we had to give up to get him?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ May 9 2014, 07:51 PM) *
Does anyone know what we had to give up to get him?

Our 4th this year.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (TGryn @ May 9 2014, 08:25 PM) *
Sidenote: the draft tonight is averaging 10 picks/hour, which would put the last pick in round 3 happening about 2 AM EST, and our next two picks around midnight. I know the league wants to make this into a media extravaganza and that's why they're having all the ex-players announcing the picks, but c'mon, this is ridiculous.

time between drops from 7 to 4 minutes in 3rd, so that should speed up things
JeeQ
Add Josh Huff to the list of new WRs...

Is it too late to say Chip Kelly is the offensive version of Buddy Ryan?

If there's any positive you know that bitch ass nigga Self-Tacklin Maclin is going down with a bruised vagina sometime this season so another WR doesn't hurt
TGryn
I will say this: Huff may not have been quite as highly rated, but its a much surer projection as to how he'll do in Kelly's offense because he's had good production in it already. To me this isn't nepotism, this is just smart reduction of risk.

I still have this hunch we take DAT in the 4th or 5th, for much the same reason as Huff: Kelly doesn't have to wonder about his character or how he'll adapt to the offense, because he already knows both from past experience.
make_it_rain
OK, I'm not sure about the Huff pick, given defensive needs.

On the plus side I guess we found our answer to who will be the slot WR.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ May 9 2014, 10:50 PM) *

^^
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ May 9 2014, 09:50 PM) *

Chip already said Matthews is going to be our slot guy.

I think they drafted Huff more for special teams purposes for the time being. Maybe he'll be used like Sproles in the future.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 9 2014, 10:59 PM) *
Chip already said Matthews is going to be our slot guy.

I think they drafted Huff more for special teams purposes for the time being.

hmmm...interesting. Everything I had read about Huff had said he was perfect for the slot. Guess they'll try to fit him in somewhere.

Should we really be spending a third rounder for special teams purposes though? sad.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ May 9 2014, 10:03 PM) *
Should we really be spending a third rounder for special teams purposes though? sad.gif

In the immediate, yes. We shouldn't expect much of anything from any of these rookies. This is about 2-3 years from now. Not 2014.

Long term, he'll likely be a slot guy.
nephillymike
LIke the Matthews pick a lot. Good talent, good value.

regarding HUff, another reach.

At 86 we took the 115th best guy, almost a round reach. He would have been there at 101. While most gave him 5th round grades, draft geek and Nat'l FB post gave him late 2nd early third grades.

I hear you on his familiarity w/ Oregon but it didn't help us with Maihel last year.
Eyrie
Satisfied with the trade up to get a WR that Kelly wants in round 2, but disappointed that we then took another WR in round 3 rather than looking at the defence.

I'm telling myself that if we'd taken a DE or S in round 3 followed by Huff at the start of round 4 then it wouldn't be an issue, so over to the Eagles to get that defender.
TGryn
I'm sure the writeups on Huff today will mention it, but he had a pretty rough family background (mother addicted to drugs and now in prison) and overcame it, so character was probably a big plus for him. Kelly doesn't have to worry about his work ethic or that he'll be hanging out with questionable people when he's away from NovaCare.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/...s_receiver.html
Zero
Thanks, TG. Good story, reminiscent of Jason Avant's story.
Spock
Like many others, I did not like the Smith pick but am not as disgusted by it after studying things a little more. But I love the Matthews pick. Love it. Huff? ehhh....
canadianeagle
The more I read about Huff the more I like him as being an Eagle. I do wonder if he was the highest player available on the board. Surely he would have been there with their first pick today. Was there no one on defense that was rated higher?

The problem with drafts is you never know what you will get. I can remember being disapointed when the Eagles drafted Lito and Sheldon back to back -- that turned out all right in the end
Zero
I'm liking this pick the more I read. Matthews is dedicated, talented and productive.
In 2013, Vanderbilt finished 67th in passing yards, and 92nd in rushing yards. To say the least, their offense was less than spectacular. And yet, new Eagles WR Jordan Matthews finished 4th in the country in 2013 both in receptions and yards.

In other words, Jordan Matthews basically was Vanderbilt's offense, and that is something that appealed to Chip Kelly.

"The remarkable thing you kept seeing with him," explained Kelly, "is I think everybody knew when Vanderbilt went into the game that he was the guy that was going to get the ball. Obviously, he's the all‑time leading receiver in that conference, yet he still kept getting the ball, so it's a credit to him."

The numbers back up Kelly's statement. Of the 32 receivers that were drafted over the weekend, Matthews had the highest percentage of his team's receiving yards, at a whopping 49.93%. (Click here to enlarge graph)

Jordan Matthews didn't play with many good players at Vanderbilt. With weapons like LeSean McCoy, Zach Ertz, Jeremy Maclin, and the rest of the Eagles' potent offense around Matthews, the NFL might actually feel easier in some ways to him.
Linc ...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ May 10 2014, 09:07 AM) *
The more I read about Huff the more I like him as being an Eagle. I do wonder if he was the highest player available on the board. Surely he would have been there with their first pick today. Was there no one on defense that was rated higher?

The problem with drafts is you never know what you will get. I can remember being disapointed when the Eagles drafted Lito and Sheldon back to back -- that turned out all right in the end

I bet Huff turns into a fan favorite
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.