Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marcus Smith Will Be A Bust
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JeeQ
If I'm wrong I give you this evidence to point out and I'll happily take my L...

If I'm right... well for the sake of the team let's hope I'm not right

Until then may I present to you a highlight video of Brandon Graham's top plays

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ May 9 2014, 03:45 PM) *
If I'm wrong I give you this evidence to point out and I'll happily take my L...

If I'm right... well for the sake of the team let's hope I'm not right

Until then may I present to you a highlight video of Brandon Graham's top plays

Fortunately, for the sake of everyone here, the search feature can take us back in time to when Graham was drafted...

QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 23 2010, 12:00 AM) *
Romo isn't shit if we can get to him and with the addition of Graham that might've become a hell of a lot easier.

QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 23 2010, 02:49 PM) *
Led in sacks, TFLs, and 40% of his tackles came from behind scrimmage. The kid has moves.

Conversely, this was my opinion at the time:

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 22 2010, 08:11 PM) *
Absolutely hate this pick. I've been right each time I've hated a first rounder. Not a good sign.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 23 2010, 12:03 PM) *
Don't worry...just wait til we convert Graham to our SAM once he starts getting those T-Rex arms manhandled by big NFL right tackles.

Moral of the story. Your opinion on this subject is worthless.
Zero

Phits
ouch...you just ruined somebody's credibility.

JeeQ
I have no shame in admitting to being excited about Graham, but I was a different type of a fan then. I still believed in our FO and their ability to make the best moves for the team. They're the one's getting paid, right? They must know what's best.

But as they've shown by example, they have no idea what they're doing and I'm watching history repeat itself again. The same things being said about Graham when we drafted him are being said about Marcus Smith now.

Graham led in sacks, TFLs, and 40% of his tackles came from behind scrimmage his senior year

Marcus Smith has 14.5 sacks and 18.5 TFL his senior year

Brandon Graham ended up being a complete bust and he was an even better prospect than Smith was. So you'll have to excuse me if I'm not jumping for joy at the high chance of history repeating itself yet again. I learned my lesson; why haven't the Eagles?
make_it_rain

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ May 9 2014, 04:39 PM) *
I have no shame in admitting to being excited about Graham, but I was a different type of a fan then. I still believed in our FO and their ability to make the best moves for the team. They're the one's getting paid, right? They must know what's best.

But as they've shown by example, they have no idea what they're doing and I'm watching history repeat itself again. The same things being said about Graham when we drafted him are being said about Marcus Smith now.

Graham led in sacks, TFLs, and 40% of his tackles came from behind scrimmage his senior year

Brandon Graham ended up being a complete bust and he was an even better prospect than Smith was. So you'll have to excuse me if I'm not jumping for joy at the high chance of history repeating itself yet again. I learned my lesson; why haven't the Eagles?

You may have changed as a fan, but that doesn't mean you've gotten any smarter. You're still hung up on the wrong things...

Take a look at at the guy KC drafted. Undersized, short arms. He's Brandon Graham all over.

Chip doesn't think the same way as Andy. They seem to value the same positions, but they have a completely different way of grading those positions.

Smith is long and versatile. He will be able to pack on 10-15 more pounds and still maintain his athletic ability. Ultimately, I suspect he'll be an Adalius Thomas type in our defense. He may not turn into a 15 sack/season guy, but he's going to be a very valuable member of our defense that will be able to cause problems for the other team in a number of ways.
JeeQ
If he ends up with even half of the success Adalius Thomas had in his career I'll be overjoyed. But as of right now much like you hated the Brandon Graham pick; I hate the Marcus Smith pick
HOUSEoPAIN
The great thing about the draft, and why I'll never go apeshit over a pick (within reason), is because you just don't know how a skill set will translate from college to the pros.
Richard Sherman was a 5th rounder, Tom Brady was a 6th rounder. Ryan Leaf was the 2nd overall pick, passed on by the Colts who selected Peyton Manning with the 1st
overall pick.

I'm not jumping for joy over this pick, but I think it's ok. Again, I'm happy we're addressing our defense, though I would've preferred Lee or Bucannon in the 1st round.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 9 2014, 06:13 PM) *
I would've preferred Lee or Bucannon in the 1st round.

Apparently half the teams in football don't even have Lee on their board because of his knee issues.

FWIW, a Skins writer just tweeted this:

@john_keim If the #Redskins go defense, not sure really who they'll take at 34. Guy they would have wanted, Marcus Smith, went in the 1st.

So I guess it wasn't the biggest reach of all time.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 9 2014, 07:18 PM) *
Apparently half the teams in football don't even have Lee on their board because of his knee issues.

@john_keim If the #Redskins go defense, not sure really who they'll take at 34. Guy they would have wanted, Marcus Smith, went in the 1st.

I hope the Redskins take Michael Sam - it would certainly make things amusing for the PC crowd.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 9 2014, 07:18 PM) *

I usually like Tommy Lawlor and his take on this from a month ago was really calling the shot!
http://igglesblitz.com/2014/04/case-marcus-smith/.
Because there were/are so few really talented OLBs available this year, lots of media heads felt that Smith and Attaochu could jump up in the draft.

HobbEs
JeeQ
QUOTE (HobbEs @ May 9 2014, 05:48 PM) *

nephillymike
QUOTE (JeeQ @ May 9 2014, 04:39 PM) *

Graham wasn't a big reach. Maybe a ten spot reach but not much. People sour on that b/c of E, Thomas being there and the know nothing fan base wanting him.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 10 2014, 05:58 AM) *
Graham wasn't a big reach. Maybe a ten spot reach but not much. People sour on that b/c of E, Thomas being there and the know nothing fan base wanting him.

Graham was garbage. The fact that he was a first round prospect by all those draft pundits should tell you everything you need to know.
There are 3 guys like Graham in every draft.
Smith is nothing like Graham.
mcnabbulous
Dupe
chefalan23
Danny Watkins? Was he a bust?
chefalan23
Jaiqwan Jarrett in the 2nd? Did he ever even play? $60 mil to Nnamdi? Does this organization ever make mistakes?
Eyrie
QUOTE (chefalan23 @ May 10 2014, 06:26 PM) *
Danny Watkins? Was he a bust?

We didn't see enough of him to find out wink.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (chefalan23 @ May 10 2014, 12:28 PM) *
Jaiqwan Jarrett in the 2nd? Did he ever even play? $60 mil to Nnamdi? Does this organization ever make mistakes?

Was Chip responsible for all of these guys? I bet he had something to do with TO's driveway pushups too.

This is a different era. Chip thinks different than Andy, as it relates to the types of players he brings in. Every single defender we have drafted offers versatility.

Smith - Can rush from the edge. Can drop into coverage. Can be moved all around.

Watkins - Played both safety and corner in college.

Hart - Can play 3-4 DE or move to the middle on passing downs

If you can see what's going on here, you're not paying attention. Or you're willfully ignorant. Either way, it's annoying as shit.
Phits
QUOTE (chefalan23 @ May 10 2014, 01:28 PM) *
Does this organization ever make mistakes?

You can say that for every team in the league. Draft picks are crap shoots. You don't know how an collegiate player's skill set will transfer into the pro's.
chefalan23
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 10 2014, 02:42 PM) *
Was Chip responsible for all of these guys? I bet he had something to do with TO's driveway pushups too.

This is a different era. Chip thinks different than Andy, as it relates to the types of players he brings in. Every single defender we have drafted offers versatility.

Smith - Can rush from the edge. Can drop into coverage. Can be moved all around.

Watkins - Played both safety and corner in college.

Hart - Can play 3-4 DE or move to the middle on passing downs

If you can see what's going on here, you're not paying attention. Or you're willfully ignorant. Either way, it's annoying as shit.

Different era? Of course. I'm not blaming chip for any of the aforementioned, obviously. I AM blaming our front office for some really stupid draft picks the past couple years. As far as chip goes, very questionable offseason so far, we'll see how it pans out.

QUOTE (Phits @ May 10 2014, 02:46 PM) *
You can say that for every team in the league. Draft picks are crap shoots. You don't know how an collegiate player's skill set will transfer into the pro's.
A crap shoot, yes. But a 26 year old firefighter in the -st round? Gtf outta here. And a safety from temple who's supposed to be the "next Brian Dawkins" again, gtf outta here. Stupid dumbass decisions that the birds front office has allowed makes me more than apprehensive.

Zero
QUOTE (chefalan23 @ May 11 2014, 03:09 AM) *
Different era? Of course. I'm not blaming chip for any of the aforementioned, obviously. I AM blaming our front office for some really stupid draft picks the past couple years. As far as chip goes, very questionable offseason so far, we'll see how it pans out.

But are you blaming the current front office for past mistakes? I hold Banner, and to some extent, Reid responsible for some of those abysmal selections. But since they've moved on things seem to have improved considerably. To me, it looks like the past three drafts have been pretty good.

You can argue that Smith was a reach and there's a lot of support for that. But, I asked before and I'll ask again, would it be different for you if they had taken Smith in the second round and Matthews in the first? I'm not trying to excuse anything, it's the results that matter most to me. Putting Smith aside, it seems like they got themselves some pretty good players the past few days. Now we have to wait to see how they play.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.