Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So what's your wish list for today and tomorrow?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HobbEs
Personally I'm hoping we get Robinson from PSU. Also, we could use some combination of NT/DE, a DB and a Kicker. D'Anthony Thomas would be the icing on the cake.
TGryn
K Anthony Fera from Texas would be interesting as a late-round pick. Wouldn't make a lot of Penn State fans happy, since he was one of the players who transferred after the Sandusky fiasco, but he had good family reasons for going.

I'd love to see DAT here, but no earlier than the 4th round please. Even then, it'd be because he's such an ideal fit for Kelly's system.

Posted my list of other targets already here in another thread.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ May 9 2014, 10:11 AM) *
K Anthony Fera from Texas would be interesting as a late-round pick. Wouldn't make a lot of Penn State fans happy, since he was one of the players who transferred after the Sandusky fiasco, but he had good family reasons for going.

Don't think many PSU fans held ill will towards Fera.
I'd love to see DAT here, but no earlier than the 4th round please. Even then, it'd be because he's such an ideal fit for Kelly's system.

Posted my list of other targets already here in another thread.

For today, my list would be:
Robinson, Latimer at WR
Dontae Johnson or Jaylen Watkins at CB
Marcus Martin or Xavier Su'a-Filo along the OL
JaxEagle
Highly unlikely but the DL from Notre Dame looks solid to me. Who are we expecting to play in the middle of our 3-4? We have a couple of mediocre guys there don't we?

I also wouldn't mind Connor Shaw as a late round backup QB, although other needs may be more pressing. Shaw is athletic and intelligent even though his arm isn't strong. I think he could run Chip's system very nicely in a backup role. I am just nervous with our backup QB's in the event that Foles misses any time.
canadianeagle
I'd love to see them trade up to get Lee, robinson or latimer. I still expect to see a guard,End and a cb taken at some point today or tomorrow
JeeQ
My only wish is that Howie stops trying to be the smartest guy in the room. They tried to outsmart everyone by moving back and lost every player we wanted. This isn't Madden you ringless asshole, and with zero playoff wins under your belt you're soon going to be the smartest guy in the unemployment line.
TGryn
QUOTE (JeeQ @ May 9 2014, 09:47 AM) *
They tried to outsmart everyone by moving back and lost every player we wanted.

Who among Manziel(22), Ford(23), Dennard(24), or Verrett(25) are you talking about?

Dennard's the only one that would make sense, and the value difference between him and Smith isn't worth giving up the 3rd they got. Manziel would have caused chaos in a bad way for us, Smith's a better fit for the 3-4 than Ford, and Verrett's undersized for what the Eagles want in their corners.
Phits
QUOTE (JeeQ @ May 9 2014, 01:47 PM) *
My only wish is that Howie stops trying to be the smartest guy in the room. They tried to outsmart everyone by moving back and lost every player we wanted. This isn't Madden you ringless asshole, and with zero playoff wins under your belt you're soon going to be the smartest guy in the unemployment line.

hahaha...who did "we" want? considering it is their program, what makes you more qualified to determine what the team wanted? then again, since you're in the training facility and the locker room and the field with all of your professional and college football experience....you probably have the most insight.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ May 9 2014, 02:34 PM) *
Who among Manziel(22), Ford(23), Dennard(24), or Verrett(25) are you talking about?

Dennard's the only one that would make sense, and the value difference between him and Smith isn't worth giving up the 3rd they got. Manziel would have caused chaos in a bad way for us, Smith's a better fit for the 3-4 than Ford, and Verrett's undersized for what the Eagles want in their corners.

Additionally, Dennard doesn't fit the physical mold of the corners they're likely targeting. Jeeq is just making a fool of himself. Picking up a 3rd round pick in this draft is absolutely huge. Smith is going to have a very solid future for us.
Zero
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ May 9 2014, 01:29 PM) *
I'd love to see them trade up to get Lee, robinson or latimer.

Are you sure they'll need to trade up for one of those guys? I'm not saying, I'm asking.
Zero
QUOTE (JeeQ @ May 9 2014, 01:47 PM) *

Seriously, send the Eagles your resume. Seriously.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ May 9 2014, 03:17 PM) *
Are you sure they'll need to trade up for one of those guys? I'm not saying, I'm asking.

They can sit back until 2 of them come off the board, then make a move for the third, I suppose. Jordan Matthews is another really solid prospect.

If they want a WR in round 2, they'll have some good options. Which is exactly why it made sense to get a pass rusher in the first.

Frankly, it sounds like Lee's knee issues has him as an unlikely target. Robinson would be my dream target, only so I wouldn't have to change my avatar.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Phits @ May 9 2014, 12:39 PM) *
hahaha...who did "we" want? considering it is their program, what makes you more qualified to determine what the team wanted? then again, since you're in the training facility and the locker room and the field with all of your professional and college football experience....you probably have the most insight.

QUOTE (Chip Kelly)
There were about six guys that we felt if they were there at 22, we would have taken them. I guess unfortunately for us there are other people in the league that liked the same six guys we did.
mcnabbulous
So...the guys they were targeting at 22 were all gone. What is your point?

They elected to move back, pick up an extra 3rd, and take what they deemed to be the best available pass rusher. How is that trying to outsmart everyone?
Phits
That doesn't tell us who they wanted.

The Eagles had coaches, including Kelly, attend Louisville's pro day and brought Smith in for a pre-draft visit. They are intimately familiar with the player and have been for a while, dating back to when they were scouting last year's draft.

Seems he has been on their radar for some time. It may even suggest that it is somebody that they "want".

"No, he's been there for a while," Kelly said when asked if Smith had first appeared on the Eagles' radar in January. "Our personnel staff does a great job. So we obviously have a great system that those guys have in place, so we were aware of him last year when our guys were out eyeballing the next draft class. So he's a guy that our guys saw in the spring time and followed up, watched him play in person.

More importantly:
It's been one of the top programs in the country the last couple of years. And I know their head coach personally. Charlie [Strong] will do a hell of a job at Texas, and he's just a tough, hard nosed football coach. So when someone like him gives the stamp of approval, that's something I take very seriously

Apparently the Eagles did a little more research than your google search provided you.

"I think he's an outstanding athlete," Chip Kelly said after the selection. "He actually got recruited to Louisville as a quarterback. [Louisville head coach Charlie] Strong had seen him in a football camp, and he went to Louisville. I talked to Charlie the other week about him and he just gave us rave reviews. He's a big kid. He transitioned to the outside linebacker position. I think he has a huge upside. He's a very, very good athlete. He's over (6-foot-3), in the 250-, 255-pound range, ran 4.68 (40-yard dash). He's got speed coming off the edge. We thought adding a pass rusher was a big thing for us. I think a young kid to bring in behind Trent [Cole] and Connor [Barwin] and those guys can teach him the ropes and bring him along and show him what we can do. But I think his ceiling is very, very high. We're excited. He's a tough, hard nosed football player.
make_it_rain
Latimer, Lee, Matthews in round 2. Martavis Bryant and Robinson are interesting too.

Basically, there's a lot of good receivers left. Depending on who we target we may not have to move up in round 2 for one.

Any combo of defense / OL depth with the two thirds and I'd be happy.
Zero
I think a young kid to bring in behind Trent [Cole] and Connor [Barwin] and those guys can teach him the ropes and bring him along and show him what we can do. But I think his ceiling is very, very high. We're excited.
Athleticism, versatility, talent, project. The know they need to coach him up but Strong gave him a good recommendation and they saw what they believe he can do when they're finished. They're saying he can play both sides and they have two solid men in addition to the coaches that will be teaching him.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 9 2014, 01:42 PM) *
So...the guys they were targeting at 22 were all gone. What is your point?

They elected to move back, pick up an extra 3rd, and take what they deemed to be the best available pass rusher. How is that trying to outsmart everyone?

Here's what Super Bowl Championship teams do...

The New Orleans Saints, the team that bounced us from the playoffs, unloaded Jenkins/Sproles on us and picked up Byrd/Cooks. Here's how they play the draft game, they trade their 3rd Round Pick to move up seven spots and get the player they absolutely wanted in the draft.

Here's what Ring-less teams do...

They refuse to take the risk of trading up and instead trade down and admittedly lose all 6 players they were looking at. Then instead of trying to move up in the 2nd round to pick a projected 3rd/4th Rounder they reach in the 1st Round and waste the pick.

#GoldStandard
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ May 9 2014, 04:00 PM) *

The New Orleans Saints, the team that bounced us from the playoffs, unloaded Jenkins/Sproles on us and picked up Byrd/Cooks. Here's how they play the draft game, they trade their 3rd Round Pick to move up seven spots and get the player they absolutely wanted in the draft.

They refuse to take the risk of trading up and instead trade down and admittedly lose all 6 players they were looking at. Then instead of trying to move up in the 2nd round to pick a projected 3rd/4th Rounder they reach in the 1st Round and waste the pick.

#GoldStandard

So...we should have traded a 3rd round pick to get our guy?

Leaving us with a late 2nd, late 4th, late 6th, and late 7th round pick?

Do you really think this team was one player away?

Our biggest flaw last year was the pass rush. When things went well, we were competitive. When they didn't, we got lit up by teams like the Vikings. Smith was the best remaining OLB. If we had wanted Barr, we would have had to move into the top-10. What that means is that we likely would have had to give up much, much more than what you're suggesting.

Are you so sure that Barr or Shazier will be much better than Smith? Worth giving up two additional valuable picks?

Additionally, if you think the Byrd contract is anything less than absolute dog shit, you're an idiot.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ May 9 2014, 04:55 PM) *
Athleticism, versatility, talent, project. The know they need to coach him up but Strong gave him a good recommendation and they saw what they believe he can do when they're finished. They're saying he can play both sides and they have two solid men in addition to the coaches that will be teaching him.

Makes sense. While Cole transitioned nicely to our 'hybrid' 3-4 he isn't getting any younger and bringing in some youth to spell him, while learning the ropes is a great move.
Zero
QUOTE (JeeQ @ May 9 2014, 05:00 PM) *

#GoldStandard

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ May 9 2014, 05:00 PM) *

#GoldStandard

Dude, I'm with you on the whole DJax thing but Christ it's not like we picked Manziel. Go with it and save your energy for when we draft a punter tonight.

#douchebag
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.