Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What will Kelly do?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
They keep repeating the mantra ... best player available. There'll be some flex with that because I'm assuming when it's time for them to select there will: a. be more than one player with the same grade; and, b. there may be an opportunity to move down to add picks.

Most people agree that the Eagles need defense more than offense. Will they select that way? If this is a defense heavy draft for the Eagles, will that make the 2014 defense stronger ... better? Will they win more games drafting defense? Will Kelly think Seahawk-opposite and draft offense, assuming BPA? Can a power offense beat a power defense? It didn't work that way Broncos vs Seahawks.

Are there more FA moves? Trades ... post 6/1?

A week ... a freakin' week until we begin to get a sense for what Kelly is crafting for this season and the future.
SLOiggles
Cooks/Lee, Pryor, a top end pass rusher (Eagles were near bottom of the league in sacks), or even Clinton-Dix if the Eagles are crazy about him and he slides a bit further than Detroit. I couldn't see the Eagles drafting Manziel even if he falls that far.
TGryn
I think veteran FA has pretty much played itself out. There's nobody really left out there who would be a clear upgrade from the players already here.

There's a very slim chance the 6/1 deadline will increase the chances of a trade with the Dolphins for Jordan, since it would allow them to spread out the cap hit, but in all likelihood they'll hold on to him for 2014 and see what happens. If he continues to struggle this coming season, then this time next year would be the most likely time for a trade for Jordan, since his cap hit to move him will be lower for the Dolphins and the price it would cost the Eagles would be less as well (since he'd have had a troubled two seasons and have one less year under contract).
make_it_rain
Howie said in an interview with Spadaro that theyve narrowed it down to 5 players, more or less guaranteeing one of those 5 will be the pick.

I'm assuming one or two of those are pretty optimistic, maybe someone like Barr just in case he falls.

Who could the others be?
JaxEagle
I wouldn't mind having some of these players but I am not liking the sounds of this too much:

Eagles may trade up to draft a first-round receiver

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 5, 2014, 6:22 AM EDT
Odell Beckham
After cutting DeSean Jackson, the Eagles may be looking to draft his replacement.

Peter King of TheMMQB.com reports that the Eagles want in on the prime receiver action, and General Manager Howie Roseman is talking to at least two teams in the middle of the first round. The Eagles own the 22nd pick in the first round, and they may have eyes for a receiver who will be gone by then.

King surmises that LSUís Odell Beckham is the receiver Philadelphia is thinking about trading up to draft, and that USCís Marqise Lee would be their fallback option if they canít get Beckham.

The kind of trade it would take to draft Sammy Watkins of Clemson would be too rich for the Eaglesí blood, and a trade up for Mike Evans of Texas A&M would likely be too much for Philadelphia as well. But a receiver like Beckham, Lee, Brandin Cooks of Oregon State or Kelvin Benjamin of Florida State would be an option for a team that wants a new threat in the passing game after getting rid of Jackson.
mcnabbulous
The thought of getting rid of our best receiver, then spending 1 (or 2 if we trade up) premium draft picks on a receiver makes my skin crawl. I simply can't imagine how that would make us a better team in the long haul. We're not one player away.

We have needs at WR, DB (safety and corner), LB (both pass rushing and interior), and OL.
mcnabbulous
dupe
D Rock
QUOTE (Zero @ May 1 2014, 02:08 PM) *
They keep repeating the mantra ... best player available. There'll be some flex with that because I'm assuming when it's time for them to select there will: a. be more than one player with the same grade; and, b. there may be an opportunity to move down to add picks.

Most people agree that the Eagles need defense more than offense. Will they select that way? If this is a defense heavy draft for the Eagles, will that make the 2014 defense stronger ... better? Will they win more games drafting defense? Will Kelly think Seahawk-opposite and draft offense, assuming BPA? Can a power offense beat a power defense? It didn't work that way Broncos vs Seahawks.

Are there more FA moves? Trades ... post 6/1?

A week ... a freakin' week until we begin to get a sense for what Kelly is crafting for this season and the future.

This past superbowl does little to answer the question: "does a power O beat a power D?"

The only question this most recent superbowl answered was "is Peyton Manning a fucking choke artist?"

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 5 2014, 12:20 PM) *
The thought of getting rid of our best receiver, then spending 1 (or 2 if we trade up) premium draft picks on a receiver makes
my skin crawl.

Don't worry, leave it to the experts - let's just see how this plays out. rolleyes.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 5 2014, 11:20 AM) *
The thought of getting rid of our best receiver, then spending 1 (or 2 if we trade up) premium draft picks on a receiver makes my skin crawl. I simply can't imagine how that would make us a better team in the long haul. We're not one player away.

We have needs at WR, DB (safety and corner), LB (both pass rushing and interior), and OL.

I say we go all the way. Only the best WR is good enough for us. Chip wants Watkins.

I say he goes all Ditka and it is amazing how nice it all fits together.

We sit there until the 3rd player is picked. If Watkins is there, we pounce.

According to the trade chart,the 4th pick is worth 1,800 points and our 22nd is worth 780, so we need 1,020 to get'r done.

We trade our 2nd ( 360), 3rd ( 160), 4th (50), 5th (28), 7th (2), and next year's 2nd which is 420 for the midpoint of that round and voila, an exact match, a number crunchers dream.

We have the best WR in the draft and we all can close the draft books for this year at about 8:45 PM Thursday and start combing the undrafted college free agents for that defensive help that we all know we really don't need.

No sense being timid. Go all in!
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 5 2014, 09:20 AM) *

Trading away a Pro-Bowler to draft a rookie at a 1/3rd of the price sounds exactly like what the would Eagles do

#GoldStandard #ForeverRingless
nephillymike
While my post was tongue in cheek, there are two hot rumors today. One has us trading to #15 for Beckham and another has us going up to the top ten to get Evans. Maybe this scenario isn't too far off, sad to say.
nephillymike
Dupe
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 6 2014, 08:42 PM) *
While my post was tongue in cheek, there are two hot rumors today. One has us trading to #15 for Beckham and another has us going up to the top ten to get Evans. Maybe this scenario isn't too far off, sad to say.

why is it sad to say?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ May 6 2014, 08:06 PM) *
why is it sad to say?

Because giving away the two to five draft picks to make such a move for Watkins, Evans or to 15, presumably for Beckham, would leave many of our other needs unfilled and to me would be a concern that we have the wrong guys making those decisions.

Had we either kept Jackson, or cut him and used his money to sure up two needs in FA, we would have some flexibility to trade up. We didn't and we don't.

As weak as our defense was, that was still playing GB w/o Rogers, Dal w/o Romo, and Ari w/o their best RB. We need a lot of help on that side of the ball.
Zero
Too much talent in this draft and too many needs for the Eagles to trade up, especially high enough to get Evans. JMO. Then again, this is the time of illusion and delusion. I'm hoping for the first for the Eagles. I'd much rather see them move down a few spots if the opportunity arises so they can add not limit.
make_it_rain
Fun fact: When the Saints moved up for Ricky Williams, Ditka offered the Bengals the Saint's entire 1999 draft, a first rounder in 2000 and 2001, and a 2nd in 2002.

Cinnci turned all of that down to draft Akili Smith.

Keep that in perspective if the eagles do anything crazy tomorrow night.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 7 2014, 04:46 AM) *
Because giving away the two to five draft picks to make such a move for Watkins, Evans or to 15, presumably for Beckham, would leave many of our other needs unfilled and to me would be a concern that we have the wrong guys making those decisions.

Had we either kept Jackson, or cut him and used his money to sure up two needs in FA, we would have some flexibility to trade up. We didn't and we don't.

As weak as our defense was, that was still playing GB w/o Rogers, Dal w/o Romo, and Ari w/o their best RB. We need a lot of help on that side of the ball.

Not to mention that we're old at a few positions. Trading multiple premium picks to add a player at a position that wasn't a need going into the offseason would be a step back from a talent perspective.

We're not one player away. We're probably in the 10-range, as it relates to most talented teams in football. We need multiple starters to come out of this draft. The 2010 and 2011 drafts really set this team back (obviously on the defensive side of the ball) -- we can't afford a bad draft, after doing really well the past two.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ May 7 2014, 09:19 AM) *
Fun fact: When the Saints moved up for Ricky Williams, Ditka offered the Bengals the Saint's entire 1999 draft, a first rounder in 2000 and 2001, and a 2nd in 2002.

Cinnci turned all of that down to draft Akili Smith.

Keep that in perspective if the eagles do anything crazy tomorrow night.

Fun fact: The Phillies drafted Ricky Williams out of high school, and he played in single A games for them, playing with Jimmy Rollins at one point.

The Williams opera will be talked about for decades to come, but I really shake my head when people consider him a bust, or Ditka's move to be crazy. If America didn't
go into convulsions over people smoking a plant that makes you laugh for a couple of hours, he very well could've ended up the greatest RB of all time. He missed 2 full
seasons in his prime for that, 4 more games from suspension in '05, another full season from injury in '07, and then shared time with Ronnie Brown. All that being said, he's
still over 10,000 career yards and #28 all time.
make_it_rain
I agree, Williams was a decent player, but is always sort of over scrutinized for where he was drafted. The Bengals are the ones who really look dumb, but this was also before the more team friendly rookie wage scale with the new CBA that made picks very valuable. Which, in my opinion makes the idea of giving away some of these valuable picks to get one player even more insane. But I digress.

The 2010 and 2011 drafts were bad, really really bad. There's no denying that.

Could be slightly worse though:

Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 7 2014, 05:46 AM) *

We also played a Saints team, in our final game, and kept that explosive offense in check. Had our 'star' wide receiver not pulled a disappearing act, we could have won that game. While the D has much room to grow, it isn't in dire straits.
TGryn
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 7 2014, 07:13 AM) *
The Williams opera will be talked about for decades to come, but I really shake my head when people consider him a bust, or Ditka's move to be crazy. If America didn't
go into convulsions over people smoking a plant that makes you laugh for a couple of hours, he very well could've ended up the greatest RB of all time. He missed 2 full
seasons in his prime for that, 4 more games from suspension in '05, another full season from injury in '07, and then shared time with Ronnie Brown. All that being said, he's
still over 10,000 career yards and #28 all time.

I can't fault the Saints and Ditka too much, Williams' mental health issues didn't start to manifest themselves until a few years into his pro career. The marijuana use sounds a lot like self-medication, more a symptom of the problem than the actual issue.
It's like a guy who gets drafted, then blows out his knee without any previous injury history; things happen.

On the other hand, the Herschel Walker trade was still in recent memory at the time, and how that turned out should have been a cautionary tale: don't trade a bunch of high draft picks for one guy. The cost to the Redskins for RGIII is just another example.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ May 7 2014, 09:59 AM) *
We also played a Saints team, in our final game, and kept that explosive offense in check. Had our 'star' wide receiver not pulled a disappearing act, we could have won that game. While the D has much room to grow, it isn't in dire straits.

Your schtick is unbearable sometimes.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ May 7 2014, 10:59 AM) *

Not a huge Jackson fan, but a big Foles fan, but to be fair he was open a few times for big gains but Foles didn't see him. If he does, add 80 yards and a TD and his numbers for that game look much better. That NO cb, did a good job on him and Jackson never believed in 2nd effort. Good riddence, but if you ask me Jackson and short 10M in the bank, or no Jackson and 10M in the bank, this fan takes the former.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 7 2014, 08:16 PM) *
Not a huge Jackson fan, but a big Foles fan, but to be fair he was open a few times for big gains but Foles didn't see him. If he does, add 80 yards and a TD and his numbers for that game look much better. That NO cb, did a good job on him and Jackson never believed in 2nd effort. Good riddence, but if you ask me Jackson and short 10M in the bank, or no Jackson and 10M in the bank, this fan takes the former.

But doesn't that happen all the time with other teams, other QBs and other WRs?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 7 2014, 07:34 PM) *
But doesn't that happen all the time with other teams, other QBs and other WRs?

It probably does but I can't rip him too bad if he was open.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 7 2014, 08:16 PM) *
Good riddence, but if you ask me Jackson and short 10M in the bank, or no Jackson and
10M in the bank, this fan takes the former.

Not to mention a high draft pick short, since we have two real WRs on our roster and will in all likelihood use our 1st round pick
on one. One coming back from his second ACL, one being Cooper.
JeeQ
Said it in the other thread, but one more time... With the Eagles first draft pick they select... Marquise Lee
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.