Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prodraftanalysis: Eagles select Brandin Cooks at #22
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
stars81
The Eagles have one of the most predictable picks in this year's NFL draft. With the loss of Desean Jackson and Chip Kelly's need for speed, it's a great fit for the Eagles to draft a guy like Brandin Cooks. The only risk here is whether another team that is in love with Cooks will jump up in front of them at #22 to grab him. If Cooks is not available, I would recommend the Eagles go after a SS and draft HaHa Clinton Dix. They would have to settle for a speedster in round 2 or 3.
JeeQ
If we draft Cooks I'm going to be beyond pissed...

Let go of an All-Star 5'10 175lb WR just to draft a 5'10 185lb WR

We had the best speedster WR in the league; if we're "going in a different direction" drafting the exact same WR is fucking ridicolous.
nephillymike
I would like to believe that a team that cuts a very good WR is satisfied with the talent left over at WR, and did not create a draft need that it needs to fill in the first two rounds with so many other needs at other positions.

However, a team wanting to cover their ass would be more willing to spend the high pick to hedge against sub-par WR play from those they decided to go with.

I like Cooks a lot, but I don't want to see a WR until round three. Too many other fish to fry even if we threw a good one back in the ocean.

If Watkins or Evans falls to #22, I make the exception. Otherwise, give me the best defender at a pos of need.

By the way, in the latest versions of the eight mocks I follow, neither S makes it to #22.
Zero
What do you do if Barr falls to #22 and is there with Cooks, Lee and Beckham?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 29 2014, 04:46 AM) *
What do you do if Barr falls to #22 and is there with Cooks, Lee and Beckham?

Draft him real fast so we run no risk of exceeding the time limit! He is mostly rated a top ten pick, whereas the others are late teens to mid twenties. He needs to work on his run defense, but we can always bring him along as a situational guy.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 29 2014, 12:05 AM) *
By the way, in the latest versions of the eight mocks I follow, neither S makes it to #22.

Thats the thing. Theres a decent chance most of the first round talent at def positions of need are off the board at 22, except for CB and maybe DT depth. Fringe guys like Shazier, Bucanaon, Dee Ford, or Attaochu will probably be there, but it would make a lot more sense to try to trade down and take one of them while grabbing an extra pick rather than reaching based purely on need.

So if were not able to trade down, it looks like we have the choice of whats left of the first round corners or one or two of the remaining top WRs.

I'd be ok with either tbh.
TGryn
At #22 I want them to draft the best defensive guy out there. If it's close, I'd prefer a LB or DB over DL. If there's a really exceptional offensive player, like Manziel, who is unexpectedly there I'd have to think about drafting him as BPA. Overall, though, we have to give Davis more playmakers on D. Trading down is a possibility, but I don't know if things are going to align where we get a good enough deal to justify it.

If we're going WR high I'd rather wait until the 2nd; my current favorite is WR Martavis Bryant from Clemson (big and fast, but overshadowed by Watkins). If this is a historically deep draft at WR, may as well take advantage of it by waiting.

I just have a gut feeling Chip is going to take De'Anthony Thomas in the 4th or 5th if he's still there. DAT is undersized and we don't need a RB, but he was just such a great fit for Kelly's offense at Oregon that he could be more valuable to us than he is to other teams.

I think we wait until UDFA to get competition for Henery. If TE Colt Lyerla doesn't get drafted I think Kelly possibly gives him a shot, but his cocaine problems would scare me off using a draft pick on him.
HobbEs
I just have a gut feeling Chip is going to take De'Anthony Thomas in the 4th or 5th if he's still there. DAT is undersized and we don't need a RB, but he was just such a great fit for Kelly's offense at Oregon that he could be more valuable to us than he is to other teams.

I've been saying this for a while now. DAT is a no-brainer for us. I actually think we'll end up with two receivers from this draft. One big one in the early rounds (supposedly Chip wants size on the outside) and DAT in the middle rounds.

If you listen to Howie talk this draft is so deep at WR that there are guys they like who could be drafted in any round. That makes me think they're going defense first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.