Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two New Ideas the NFL is Considering
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
#1. Expand the playoffs to 7 teams in each conference. Only the #1 seed would have a bye. 2vs7,3vs6,4vs5

I can live with this idea. It would mean that 14/32 or 44% of the teams would get in. That is about the limit I think.

#2 Expand the Draft to 4 days instead of 3. To me, this is a stupid idea. I loved the old Saturday-Sunday format, and severely dislike the Thurs-Sat format. Four days? Get real Roger.

Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 26 2014, 02:46 PM) *
#1. Expand the playoffs to 7 teams in each conference. Only the #1 seed would have a bye. 2vs7,3vs6,4vs5

I can live with this idea. It would mean that 14/32 or 44% of the teams would get in. That is about the limit I think.

#2 Expand the Draft to 4 days instead of 3. To me, this is a stupid idea. I loved the old Saturday-Sunday format, and severely dislike the Thurs-Sat format. Four days? Get real Roger.

I must be a hopeless old-schooler because I really don't like either idea. I don't want them to water down the playoffs anymore, and I think the Sat-Sunday venue was the best way to do the draft as well.
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 26 2014, 04:15 PM) *
I must be a hopeless old-schooler because I really don't like either idea. I don't want them to water down the playoffs anymore, and I think the Sat-Sunday venue was the best way to do the draft as well.

I'm with you, Dreagon. I just don't understand why they think they need to mess with something as successful as the NFL is. If it works this well, leave it the fuck alone!
TGryn
Both changes are about the almighty dollar, of course. Extra playoff games mean more TV and ticket revenue, and an extra day of the draft means another day to sell commercial time (or charge ESPN for broadcast rights). That's why I think they're both inevitable, regardless of any harm to the game as a product. Like a lot of things in the country these days, the long-term quality will always get sacrificed if it means more short-term quantity will get sold.
Dreagon
QUOTE (TGryn @ Apr 26 2014, 08:54 PM) *
Both changes are about the almighty dollar, of course. Extra playoff games mean more TV and ticket revenue, and an extra day of the draft means another day to sell commercial time (or charge ESPN for broadcast rights). That's why I think they're both inevitable, regardless of any harm to the game as a product. Like a lot of things in the country these days, the long-term quality will always get sacrificed if it means more short-term quantity will get sold.

It makes me wonder if Mark Cuban's remark about the NFL has some merit....

"Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business."
Eyrie
Don't like either idea.

The first proposal means that almost half the league gets into the play offs. I'd rather see another two regular season games at the expense of one pre season game and expand the roster to 60 players, all of whom are game day actives.

The second proposal is just nuts. How can they seriously think that anyone is interested in a fourth day discussing long shots being picked in the last two or three rounds?
TGryn
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 27 2014, 12:49 AM) *
The second proposal is just nuts. How can they seriously think that anyone is interested in a fourth day discussing long shots being picked in the last two or three rounds?
From what I've seen, on both NFLN and ESPN discussion of current picks starts dying off about midway through round 4 and gets sparser as the draft goes on. Its replaced by interviews of coaches and GMs around the league, "state of the league" interviews with Goodell, and things like that. And that's actually smart, because as you say, only real draft nuts care about day III of the draft, and they're going to tune in regardless just to see who's getting picked.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 26 2014, 02:46 PM) *

1. NO!!!

2. Couldn't care less
JaxEagle
Neither of those.
make_it_rain
I had a discussion with a friend of mine this weekend regarding that idea that eventually, the NFL will continue to push the fanbase and squeeze as much revenue as they can until there is a measurable reaction against their BS to the bottom line. Until then, we can complain all we want but if the revenues keep growing the NFL will continue to see just how far it can push.

So the question then becomes, what's your line in the sand? What policy or idea would be enough for you to just shrug and (mostly) move on from the NFL?

Back to the OP.....I say no to both, but again it really doesnt matter what we think.

The 14 team playoff is an inevitability, although I think the system is fine as it is, and the old school 10 team playoff was optimal, IMO. Still, if they can grab and extra nine figures of revenue per additional game, they are going to take it unless there is a serious reason not to.

14 teams is weak, but I could live with it. 16 teams (thus removing byes) would be an absolute disgrace, however.

Expanding the draft is far worse idea, imo. The Saturday 1 day draft was glorious. How the hell can they stretch it out to 4 days?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Apr 28 2014, 10:28 AM) *
So the question then becomes, what's your line in the sand?

What policy or idea would be enough for you to just shrug and (mostly) move on from the NFL?

We're a long way from that for sure, and he knows it. Also, by time some fans start to peel away, he'll have more than he ever
needs from the flag football Madden generation, who won't give a rat's ass (and will embrace) when their 6-9 team needs to
win in Week 17 to get that last playoff berth.

What would it take to stop watching the Eagles? The thought is scary. Same thing with the NCAA tournament, where now the
'first round' is called the 'second round' because 4 games have to be played to determine what the fucking bracket is. Every
school that gets in gets exposure, money, recruiting, etc. Before long there will be a whole week of games to see what the
'round of 64' looks like.
Eyrie
QUOTE (TGryn @ Apr 27 2014, 12:35 PM) *
From what I've seen, on both NFLN and ESPN discussion of current picks starts dying off about midway through round 4 and gets sparser as the draft goes on. Its replaced by interviews of coaches and GMs around the league, "state of the league" interviews with Goodell, and things like that. And that's actually smart, because as you say, only real draft nuts care about day III of the draft, and they're going to tune in regardless just to see who's getting picked.

Thanks.

Sounds like it would mean separate days for each of the first three rounds, which is still overkill for coverage of the actual picks and the other stuff can done during the week after the draft anyway. Run a feature on each team and how their picks address their perceived needs.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 26 2014, 03:46 PM) *

I like it. Especially with only one team in each conference getting a bye.

I don't care for the entire draft shenanigans. I am good with them doing away the whole proceedings and draft players without the circus. However, there is a market for an extended draft, and I can appreciate that the potential for additional revenue is pleasing to business owners. The average fan has to understand that the business of the NFL is more than just the final on field product.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.