Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Draft prediction
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Because they let DJax go, I'm convinced the Eagles will draft a WR with their #1 even though the defense seems to be a more pressing need. Kelly is an offensive coach and if he thinks the defense can hold it's own he may want to overwhelm opponents by scoring points and making them play catch up. Cooks or Lee are my guesses. If they think Lee will slide into the second and can trade down and still get him, that may be the smart move.

Their other big need is at OLB, especially if Kelly does want to have their opponents playing from behind. QBs had way too much time to stress the DBs last year and those guys aren't good enough to make up for QBs having lots of time. I don't think they'll replace Cole yet but will want someone to groom for a year. From what people tell me and what we read, there isn't much depth there this year. My guess is they'll try to grab either Smith from Louisville or Attaochu. Both seem to have the talent but could use a year as situational rushers and to be coached up.

It'd be nice to see a DB early too. Not sure who could be available in 3 - 4 ... Dion Bailey, Terrance Brooks? Maybe Reynolds from Stanford?

I keep dreaming that there may still be a chance for a trade with Miami for Jordan. Supposedly, after June 1 teams can spread the cap hit out over a couple of years. If the Eagles offer a 2015 pick plus a mid round 2014 pick and a player who could contribute for Miami now ...? Is Miami ready to contend now or do they need a year or two? Does anyone think Jordan can be a solid 4 - 3 end or will Miami want to move on quickly and try to recapture as much as possible as soon as possible? Is Jordan still a potential stud as a 3 - 4 OLB?
JaxEagle
Popular opinion is now WR in round 1. Lots think Benjamin but from what many say that could be a boom or bust. He could be Alshon Jeffrey without the hands (which equates to an Arena League player since Jeffrey has excellent hands and competitiveness). He could balloon in weight. Then again he could be a bigger version of TO. TO never had great hands.
nephillymike
It's interesting.

Since the Jackson cut, my first thought of the draft is aggravation.

We created a need, didn't fill the needs we could have filled had we cut him earlier and spent on FA's.

So now we sit with three needs that should be one or two needs if we did our job.

I say fuck it.

Their actions said we're OK at WR, so practice what you preach.

The first two picks on D, and use the third on a Wr.
Eyrie
It's a deep draft for WRs, so I'd go defence on round one and then look at WR in round two or three.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 18 2014, 08:45 PM) *
It's interesting.

We created a need, didn't fill the needs we could have filled had we cut him earlier and spent on FA's.

So now we sit with three needs that should be one or two needs if we did our job.

I say fuck it.

I know....Kelly is an idiot and Roseman is a joke....fire them both....they are worse than Banner and Reid.....horrible......

neither has a clue.....they are winging it...no plan...

hahahahahahahahahahaha

I had to see how it felt........hehehehehe
nephillymike
Upon further review, they will pick a WR in the first round, second the latest?

Why?

It's a "Cover Your Ass" pick.

If they don't pick a WR early, then any short coming in that position will be magnified all year long.

Well, Desean did this, Desean would have done this etc etc.

THAT would be a PR and football nightmare.

So picking a WR early limits the downside at a lack of production at WR and if we pick well, provides us some injury protection for Maclin.

If our defense continues to suffer b/c of the pick being used on the WR and no other needs filled with the money we saved, the fandom will not map that back to the Jackson decision the way they would with the WR play this year. Fans, for the most part, won't come close to making that connection.

WR it will be. If not #22, then #54.
Dreagon
My "safe" pick for you guys would be WR for obvious reasons. You got your QB, now you want to give him weapons. Then I could see you guys addressing defense with most of the rest of your picks.

My "darkhorse" pick for you guys would be offensive lineman. You got your QB, now you want to keep him healthy. Your line is already good, but also getting old....and there is a pretty good chance an outstanding lineman may fall as far as you guys in the first round. Then, once again, you spend most of the rest of your picks on defense.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 19 2014, 07:56 AM) *
I know....Kelly is an idiot and Roseman is a joke....fire them both....they are worse than Banner and Reid.....horrible......

neither has a clue.....they are winging it...no plan...

hahahahahahahahahahaha

I had to see how it felt........hehehehehe

Huh??

You lost me on this one. Are you saying you want to see what it feels like to bitch??
nephillymike
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 19 2014, 12:41 PM) *
My "safe" pick for you guys would be WR for obvious reasons. You got your QB, now you want to give him weapons. Then I could see you guys addressing defense with most of the rest of your picks.

My "darkhorse" pick for you guys would be offensive lineman. You got your QB, now you want to keep him healthy. Your line is already good, but also getting old....and there is a pretty good chance an outstanding lineman may fall as far as you guys in the first round. Then, once again, you spend most of the rest of your picks on defense.

Hey D,

If Manzeil is there at #18, do you pick him? Bridgewater??
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 19 2014, 02:39 PM) *
Hey D,

If Manzeil is there at #18, do you pick him? Bridgewater??

Oh man, I don't know. Romo is still under contract for three or four more years, but he's gonna be 34 and coming off his second back surgury in less than two years. I would honestly be really, really tempted.

As far as Jerry is concerned, who knows what he would do? I'm really just kind of hoping he trades down since that is the one thing that seems to historically work right for him lately.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 18 2014, 08:45 PM) *
It's interesting.

I say fuck it.

This is my opinion, too. And I think it's the direction they go.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 19 2014, 02:38 PM) *
Huh??

You lost me on this one. Are you saying you want to see what it feels like to bitch??

I am just finding it amusing to see you and several others here suddenly make it seem like Kelly woke up yesterday with no clue....

It is like WIP and that other shitty sports station and their hosts making a side note article from some NFL writer no one ever heard of is "the national guys" asking if Kelly's ego was the reason Jackson got cut.

Hell, I did not even really want Kelly but he has proven he knows how to coach and I am going to give him and Roseman some leeway in knowing what they are doing. I think they know what they want and are executing their plan.....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 19 2014, 05:28 PM) *
I am just finding it amusing to see you and several others here suddenly make it seem like Kelly woke up yesterday with no clue....

It is like WIP and that other shitty sports station and their hosts making a side note article from some NFL writer no one ever heard of is "the national guys" asking if Kelly's ego was the reason Jackson got cut.

Hell, I did not even really want Kelly but he has proven he knows how to coach and I am going to give him and Roseman some leeway in knowing what they are doing. I think they know what they want and are executing their plan.....

C'mon RF.

I know as an Evil Axis lifetime member I am known to be more critical than most, but I think you need to check your Chip /Howie Roseman card at the door on this one.

Like Jackson or hate Jackson, they cut a PB alternate WR who had great success in this offense and got NOTHING for him.

And they didn't use the 10.75M to improve our team in other areas.

That is indefensible.

Sure if it turns out he is found to be a criminal or something, then it is a little understandable or if we pull off a trade and use some of that 10.75 to improving this years team, then OK.

But as of 4/19/14, this is a huge blunder, plain and simple.

No conspiracy theories or anything. Just from a return on asset, investment in the team aspect, it sucks.

As of now, there doesn't seem to be much to the big crime story.

First Shady, now Coleman, says they never seen any problems. Both said he was a good teammate.

I didn't get the hear the guy they had on 2:00 on 975 about Kelly's ego. I don't think that conspiracy had anything to do with it.

They signed Cooper to a long term deal.
They offered Maclin one too, although he took the one year show me with some kickers.

Their WR budget was spent. That's all fine and dandy. But it shouldn't have meant they shouldn't have used that money on D in FA.

Now we enter the draft with more needs and less options that we should have.

Inexcusable IMO.

A very hopeful rewarding draft seems doomed to be less than fulfilling because of all the needs.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 19 2014, 06:41 PM) *
First Shady, now Coleman, says they never seen any problems. Both said he was a good teammate.

According to Coleman He would take those big hits for the team. " He just lost all credibility with that statement.

JaxEagle
I have really enjoyed our Beer discussion. Very refreshing. Pardon the pun. That is all
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 19 2014, 05:41 PM) *
C'mon RF.

I didn't get the hear the guy they had on 2:00 on 975 about Kelly's ego. I don't think that conspiracy had anything to do with it.

They signed Cooper to a long term deal.
They offered Maclin one too, although he took the one year show me with some kickers.

Their WR budget was spent. That's all fine and dandy. But it shouldn't have meant they shouldn't have used that money on D in FA.

Now we enter the draft with more needs and less options that we should have.

Inexcusable IMO.

A very hopeful rewarding draft seems doomed to be less than fulfilling because of all the needs.

OK....why not......lets have at it....

First...you don't find it strange that all the other teams in the league...you know....all those teams with a need at WR did not line up to wow Jackson with contract offers? Come on RF? How about come on Mikey.....Jackson had a great year because of this system not the other way around......he is a one trick pony and before anyone starts with that "well it is a good trick" shit look at his game logs.....he had nearly half his yards in the first 6 games....including 3 of his 5 hundred yard games...they went 3-3.....he had 2 more the rest of the season and they went 1-1 in those games.....(one being the Oakland game where everybody had a field day).

I did not even get to the part where no one would trade for him....granted he was ridiculously overpaid...a fact proven by his Redskins salary of 8 per....but by trading for him teams would have avoided the auction....which ironically never occurred for your superstar......

They lost 6 in dead money....but they are free of the 10 next year and this year..or 11...I forget....that would have been money gambled on a pouting peice of shit who quit the last time his contract was an issue and he and his agent knew this was hi last year here...you think he was not going to shut it down again?

Did they do it for money? Hell yes and I am glad they did.....you just keep passing over the fact that they will need a shitload next year...I know....they have lots of easily removable contracts to get under the cap except that is horseshit.....they will need to replace those players with similar production or the bus goes backwards......and then you will bitch about that.....the bottom line is they have had the luxury of not paying top of the market QB money last year and this year.....that will most likely end next year.....they will need to replace 2 LBs or do you think that will be 2 draft picks starting in a year they will be looking to go deep in the playoffs?

Fcuj...I can't wait for the draft so I can hear how horrible they did.....they had 2 pretty good draft years but if I recall you shitted on both of them at the time as well...maybe I am wrong on that....I lose track and I am too lazy to go back and look......

where do I send the case of vagasil?.....

wow....sorry to vent like that.....I still love ya Mikey......but I am going for positivity this year...
nephillymike
Ha ha! Have another!

This worthless piece of shit WR got $16M guaranteed!

That must be killing you.

He had value in the free market. Not so much in a trade market with a 11M cap hit.

And you know what, I am not a fan of his so much. If they wanted to part ways, fine.

But dammit, buy me players for that sorry defense.

You probably been buying that chicken little "the cap is falling" story since the early days of Banner.

Yet every year, there they sit with a nice 15% -ish of the cap to roll forward to the next year.

And every year we stare at an empty trophy case.

And please, don't insult your intelligence not to know that we'll have plenty of cap room after a Foles deal. If you need a refresher, see my post of how much cap space the deals for the guys the Eagles signed and re-upped this year.

I don't know how this team has managed to do it, but they have everyone petrified of a mythical cap hell.

$20M+ cap rolling forward. All is good in the RF fandom, defense he damned!

I believe I gave them a very good draft review last year. I will look it up.
nephillymike
http://www.wingheads.com/index.php?showtopic=71650&hl=

I gave them a B+.

Of course in hindsight some did better and worse than expected.

And you can read my unfulfilled hope that they spend some of the $22M cap that they had at that point last year too. I wonder, did you have a chicken little "cap hell" post of worry last year too? Look at that, a year later and here we sit with over $20M left even after signing some of our FA's and new FA's to new deals. Not unlike the $20M+ they had after 2012.

Hey RF,

BOO!

Cap hell is coming to get you!
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 19 2014, 05:46 PM) *
Upon further review, they will pick a WR in the first round, second the latest?

Why?

It's a "Cover Your Ass" pick.

If they don't pick a WR early, then any short coming in that position will be magnified all year long.

Well, Desean did this, Desean would have done this etc etc.

THAT would be a PR and football nightmare.

So picking a WR early limits the downside at a lack of production at WR and if we pick well, provides us some injury protection for Maclin.

If our defense continues to suffer b/c of the pick being used on the WR and no other needs filled with the money we saved, the fandom will not map that back to the Jackson decision the way they would with the WR play this year. Fans, for the most part, won't come close to making that connection.

WR it will be. If not #22, then #54.

Never mind a CYA pick, it's a need. But the pick has to work out or there will be even more bitching than if we leave WR to rounds four or five.

QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 19 2014, 06:41 PM) *

We have a need at G to replace Herremans next year or 2016, and preferably one that can cover C as well. Don't think that's a high pick though given our other holes.
nephillymike
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/...its-a-business/

Still no smoking gun.

Aitkens
At this point the only trend we know about the Chip Kelly era is that he tends to drift toward players that he's either recruited, or coached against at some point. That makes it so damn difficult to predict exactly which way he'll be going in just a few weeks at the Draft. The common thought right now is obviously Wide Receiver. While I see it as a possibility, I don't fully buy into it. There is plenty of offensive talent on the Eagles roster right now, and it is the defensive side of the ball that is lacking in key areas. I think Chip realizes that he can't just outscore everyone week in and week out, and that at some point he's going to have to have a strong defense to keep points off of the board.

In my opinion, the three key areas are Corner, Safety, and Pass Rushing OLB. I fully believe it will be one of those positions taken, especially given that this is a deeper Wide Receiver class. Now if a player happens to fall a bit and is sitting there when the Eagles are on the clock, all bets are off. You also go "Best Player Available", but within reason. If you have a young Pro Bowl QB, it makes no sense to waste a 1st round pick on a QB. Had there been a Running Back worth taking in the 1st round, it would make no sense for the Eagles to draft him either given their current depth. "Best Player Available" applies, but you need to rule out certain positions, or players that wouldn't fit the current scheme.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 19 2014, 07:49 PM) *
Ha ha! Have another!

This worthless piece of shit WR got $16M guaranteed!

That must be killing you.

He had value in the free market. Not so much in a trade market with a 11M cap hit.

And you know what, I am not a fan of his so much. If they wanted to part ways, fine.

But dammit, buy me players for that sorry defense.

You probably been buying that chicken little "the cap is falling" story since the early days of Banner.

Yet every year, there they sit with a nice 15% -ish of the cap to roll forward to the next year.

And every year we stare at an empty trophy case.

And please, don't insult your intelligence not to know that we'll have plenty of cap room after a Foles deal. If you need a refresher, see my post of how much cap space the deals for the guys the Eagles signed and re-upped this year.

I don't know how this team has managed to do it, but they have everyone petrified of a mythical cap hell.

$20M+ cap rolling forward. All is good in the RF fandom, defense he damned!

I believe I gave them a very good draft review last year. I will look it up.

16 guaranteed? You think that is a lot? Every team had a shot at him and he only got 16? He is a superstar....why did only the Skins get in on him? You seriously think that is great money for a stud? Have you looked at the WR deals?

Didn't Greg Jennings get 17 guaranteed last year? Dwayne Bowe got 20 I think...Vicncent Jackson got 25+.....

Every team in the league had the chance to jump in the pool and that was the best he could get?

It is not killing me...it is proof that he was not sought after except for the one team in the league that has consistently overspent for players.

and the Eagles are not the ones saying 2015 is cap hell...you sound like the radio guys who create their own stories.....it was several articles with the data to support them that show the Eagles have the most cap space allocated for 2015 already...number 1 in the league....that was not the Eagles that put that out there...or is that another conspiracy?

They will be able to redo a few contracts and let a couple guys go but they will need to replace that talent and they don't have a lot of picks with which to do that this year.

I give up.....

I knew I saw black helicopters landing at the linc....damn CIA
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 20 2014, 07:08 PM) *
16 guaranteed? You think that is a lot? Every team had a shot at him and he only got 16? He is a superstar....why did only the Skins get in on him? You seriously think that is great money for a stud? Have you looked at the WR deals?

Didn't Greg Jennings get 17 guaranteed last year? Dwayne Bowe got 20 I think...Vicncent Jackson got 25+.....

Every team in the league had the chance to jump in the pool and that was the best he could get?

It is not killing me...it is proof that he was not sought after except for the one team in the league that has consistently overspent for players.

and the Eagles are not the ones saying 2015 is cap hell...you sound like the radio guys who create their own stories.....it was several articles with the data to support them that show the Eagles have the most cap space allocated for 2015 already...number 1 in the league....that was not the Eagles that put that out there...or is that another conspiracy?

They will be able to redo a few contracts and let a couple guys go but they will need to replace that talent and they don't have a lot of picks with which to do that this year.

I give up.....

I knew I saw black helicopters landing at the linc....damn CIA

Again I will say, I don't care if they decided to part ways with him. My beef is that we didn't use the money to improve this year's team. So all of the is he good, does he suck talk means nothing to me.

After we signed Cooper and Maclin there was not one person here, you included, who advocated cutting Jackson. So everyone was very comfortable with having to pay his money to make this year's team better. Now they cut him, get nothing for him, don't use his money to make this team better, and all of a sudden, we're all worried about cap hell. You would think the outcry would have been before his cut, no?

And you are smart enough to know that 16M after all the money has been spent in FA is a hell of a commitment. Had he been free at the start of FA, he would have dwarfed those other deals and you know it. Although true, that's not my beef.

Eyrie
QUOTE (Aitkens @ Apr 20 2014, 12:50 PM) *
At this point the only trend we know about the Chip Kelly era is that he tends to drift toward players that he's either recruited, or coached against at some point. That makes it so damn difficult to predict exactly which way he'll be going in just a few weeks at the Draft. The common thought right now is obviously Wide Receiver. While I see it as a possibility, I don't fully buy into it. There is plenty of offensive talent on the Eagles roster right now, and it is the defensive side of the ball that is lacking in key areas. I think Chip realizes that he can't just outscore everyone week in and week out, and that at some point he's going to have to have a strong defense to keep points off of the board.

In my opinion, the three key areas are Corner, Safety, and Pass Rushing OLB. I fully believe it will be one of those positions taken, especially given that this is a deeper Wide Receiver class. Now if a player happens to fall a bit and is sitting there when the Eagles are on the clock, all bets are off. You also go "Best Player Available", but within reason. If you have a young Pro Bowl QB, it makes no sense to waste a 1st round pick on a QB. Had there been a Running Back worth taking in the 1st round, it would make no sense for the Eagles to draft him either given their current depth. "Best Player Available" applies, but you need to rule out certain positions, or players that wouldn't fit the current scheme.

Only issue is that Macklin is on a one year deal, so it makes sense to draft a WR early for both the #3 spot and as a potential starter.
Aitkens
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 21 2014, 05:39 AM) *
Only issue is that Macklin is on a one year deal, so it makes sense to draft a WR early for both the #3 spot and as a potential starter.

One year deal, that can certainly be renegotiated if Maclin shows that he's recovered. This is also a good class for Wide Receivers, so using a 1st round pick is not that big of a need. With this class, the Eagles could just as easily grab a potential starter in the 2nd or 3rd round of this draft. After the first handful of Wide Receivers, the class is really grouped together into terms of the prospects.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Aitkens @ Apr 21 2014, 07:20 AM) *
One year deal, that can certainly be renegotiated if Maclin shows that he's recovered. This is also a good class for Wide Receivers, so using a 1st round pick is not that big of a need. With this class, the Eagles could just as easily grab a potential starter in the 2nd or 3rd round of this draft. After the first handful of Wide Receivers, the class is really grouped together into terms of the prospects.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Kelly, give up his big-boy fetish just as he gave up his assumed, running QB priority. He would then jump
on Brandin Cooks if he were available at 22. Cooks has the blazing speed to keep the field wide open for Mac, Riley, the TEs and the running game.
Plus being an inch or two taller than DJ and 10 lbs heavier with much more commitment to downfield blocking, he could fit the Kelly package
even better. IMO if there is a WR in the 1st round then it is 70% likely Cooks vs 30% Benjamin. If not those two, then he goes D and WR in the 2nd.
Aitkens
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Apr 21 2014, 10:02 PM) *
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Kelly, give up his big-boy fetish just as he gave up his assumed, running QB priority. He would then jump
on Brandin Cooks if he were available at 22. Cooks has the blazing speed to keep the field wide open for Mac, Riley, the TEs and the running game.
Plus being an inch or two taller than DJ and 10 lbs heavier with much more commitment to downfield blocking, he could fit the Kelly package
even better. IMO if there is a WR in the 1st round then it is 70% likely Cooks vs 30% Benjamin. If not those two, then he goes D and WR in the 2nd.

We had better hope that in that situation, he goes with Cooks and avoids Benjamin. Benjamin has lazy, and bust written all over him. He has average at best hands, runs lazy sloppy routes, is heavy for a Wide Receiver, and has been refusing to work out for certain teams because he feels he won't be on the board for them.
Zero
QUOTE (Aitkens @ Apr 22 2014, 01:18 AM) *
... has been refusing to work out for certain teams because he feels he won't be on the board for them.

I've read some good things about him but this makes it sound like he has a higher opinion of himself than most others do. I get "confidence" but this doesn't sound good coming in ... almost Dez-like without the commensurate talent.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Apr 21 2014, 10:02 PM) *

I'd be ok with that.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 22 2014, 05:21 AM) *
I've read some good things about him but this makes it sound like he has a higher opinion of himself than most others do. I get "confidence" but this doesn't sound good coming in ... almost Dez-like without the commensurate talent.

Lol Yeah. More like Mike Williams talent and Dez attitude
nephillymike
I avoid Benjamin. He's got bust potential. Eagles 24/7 has an article on him. He's got size. All the talent metrics he's way down. (Speed, quickness, vertical, route running etc)
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 23 2014, 05:05 AM) *
I avoid Benjamin. He's got bust potential. Eagles 24/7 has an article on him. He's got size. All the talent metrics he's way down. (Speed, quickness, vertical, route running etc)

This might be what you're referring to, Mikey. This compares Benjamin to all other WR's since 1999. Gross.

Kelvin Benjamin - MockDraftable

mockdraftable.com - It's an awesome resource.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 23 2014, 01:32 PM) *
This might be what you're referring to, Mikey. This compares Benjamin to all other WR's since 1999. Gross.

Kelvin Benjamin - MockDraftable

mockdraftable.com - It's an awesome resource.

Yep, exactly. Thanks.

Things he inherited, great.

Things requiring work, piss poor.

No thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.