Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Flyers
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
make_it_rain
Playoffs start against the Rangers tonight. Tough matchup for the goon squad, but should be a really entertaining series.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Apr 17 2014, 09:12 AM) *
Playoffs start against the Rangers tonight. Tough matchup for the goon squad, but should be a really entertaining series.

Nice pic.

I've always said, when playing Lundqvist the best strategy is to take one of your 4th lineman, and send him with a flying cross
check into his goalie mask at about 30 mph. Take the penalty, maybe lose the game, they lose him, and we win the series.
Phits
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Apr 17 2014, 09:12 AM) *

What's the goal tending situation for Philly? Is Mason playing tonight?
make_it_rain
As of now, it looks like Mason is out for Game 1. I'm not sure how much of this is gamesmanship, but I'm pretty sure its a safe bet he's out.

JaxEagle
Emery is playing. I read that Mason is probably out for 2 games.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Apr 17 2014, 09:26 AM) *
Nice pic.

There's so many subtle details that make this pic incredible:

• The 14 year old kid fistpumping in the top left corner.
  • The random guy jumping in from behind to put a choke hold on the devils fan.
  • The bruiser reaching down from the row behind to offer his assistance to said guy applying chokehold.
  • The woman caught in the middle of all of it who you'd think would be moritified, but has a grin on her face suggesting she can't look away.
  • And finally, the white collar, average joe guy who is mild mannered in the office by day, but morphs into a haymaker throwing goon once he dons his favorite flyers polo and has a few miller lites at the WFC.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Apr 17 2014, 02:16 PM) *
There's so many subtle details that make this pic incredible:

• The 14 year old kid fistpumping in the top left corner.
  • The random guy jumping in from behind to put a choke hold on the devils fan.
  • The bruiser reaching down from the row behind to offer his assistance to said guy applying chokehold.
  • The woman caught in the middle of all of it who you'd think would be moritified, but has a grin on her face suggesting she can't look away.
  • And finally, the white collar, average joe guy who is mild mannered in the office by day, but morphs into a haymaker throwing goon once he dons his favorite flyers polo and has a few miller lites at the WFC.

There's 5 of them. I would also add:

-What looks to be the completely futile effort of a security guard restraining an elderly man in a Flyers jersey, ready to jump
into the fray.
-On the right side of the pic, the two different hands belonging to two different people entering the scene, ready to help out
their fellow fans in opening a can of whoop ass on the guy.
JaxEagle
If only the guy was a Rangers fan. I don't like the Devils but they don't bother me as much. I think of them like I do the Redskins. Rangers = Giants. I am actually one of the exceptional fans that dislikes the Giants more than the Cowboys. Well, sorry, that's like splitting hairs. Cowboy fans are equally as annoying. Cowboys = dorky and stupid whereas Giant fans = obnoxious to the extreme of obnoxiousness.
HOUSEoPAIN
If only the guy was a Rangers fan. I don't like the Devils but they don't bother me as much. I think of them like I do the
Redskins. Rangers = Giants.

Seriously? From the mid-90s to the mid 2000s they've earned more than enough hatred from us to last a lifetime, especially
when they show up wearing Scott Stevens jerseys. But yeah, the Rangers have become a more bitter rival in recent years,
and the Pens IMO are the worst right now.
make_it_rain
Penguins are the worst, no question. Those games are seriously entertaining to watch though.

Even though I'm not crazy about matching up against the Rangers, the inner conspiracy theorist in me wouldnt be surprised if the Flyers caught a few breaks and squeaked into the next round for a matchup against the pens.

That playoff series would be a bloodbath.

Also, I didnt even notice that the usher in the bottom right isn't rushing towards the fight, but rather restraining another grey haired guy in a flyers jersey from jumping in. Awesome.
JaxEagle
Yes, I didn't mean anything to do with our relative standing vs those others that were the case then the Rangers we have beaten up pretty good since Messier and their 1995 Cup.

I just have no patience or tolerance of the NY in general.
JaxEagle
Is this secondary sport even nationally televised anymore? Am I going to get this game outside Philly?

Boy the NHL has slipped by not having a major network deal. I don't call VS and a couple games per postseason a network deal.

Football and Baseball are in the same stratosphere with each other. NBA and NHL are WAY BEHIND. Soccer might be past them now. Seriously, the NBA and NHL are becoming less and less relevant. I want the Sixers to have a great draft but if we were the Number 1 seed in the East right now I am not even sure how psyched up I would be.
JaxEagle
CNBC... ok.... I think I might have that channel up in the 1000's somewhere
JaxEagle
I've watched the first 7 minutes of the second period. We do not have the better part of the action.
JaxEagle
Uh, yeah, we got spanked. Friggin penalties and we couldn't kill the penalty when it counted.
make_it_rain
yeah that was brutal. i was actually surprised it was 1-1 for as long as it was....they were getting worked for the entire game.

Akeson, aside from that idiotic double minor that opened the flood gates, played pretty well I thought. Emery was solid too. Giroux and Vinny were nowhere to be found.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Apr 18 2014, 09:14 AM) *
yeah that was brutal. i was actually surprised it was 1-1 for as long as it was....they were getting worked for the entire game.

Akeson, aside from that idiotic double minor that opened the flood gates, played pretty well I thought. Emery was solid too. Giroux and Vinny were nowhere to be found.

A roster that has 7 20+ goal scorers had 15 shots, none from Giroux or Vinny. The top line had 2 shots. Akeson led the team
in shots.

That's a recipe for a loss against any team. Win or lose, I guarantee Berube has expressed the need to shoot the puck to them
by now, and they're gonna put 50 shots on the net next game.
JaxEagle
Yes, putrid effort in game 1. Berube has to use that to either light the fire for the rest of the playoffs or we will quietly exit the playoffs. I think we should have a good feel for which it will be during the next game.
JaxEagle
not the game 2 script i would have written but at least we are in it...
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Apr 21 2014, 09:58 AM) *
not the game 2 script i would have written but at least we are in it...

Midway through the 1st period I'm thinking "ok we go home down 2-0 and see if Mason can spark something" - and then they
shut down NY. I especially like how Berube put Giroux on the ice with different people, forcing the Rangers to break up their
lines, it no doubt helped. 3 of the possible 5 games at home, I like our chances.
make_it_rain
I had a more thoughtful post to write out but Im still too hungover from yesterday.

Tuesday night should be awesome.

nephillymike
Great win.

Speculation is that Mason has a bad concussion
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.