Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beer Thread
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
nephillymike
Since Dutch admitted he likes the "wee heavy" (and RF got a little nervous about his past), Jax mentioned an on going beer thread.

Any good finds in the craft brews you've had?

One of the better ones I had in the fall was the Great Lakes Octoberfest. Real smooth. King of the Octs IMO.

I mentioned in the other thread, the best beer I ever had was St Bernardus Abt 12. A Belgian beauty.

Also, Weihepstefaner Hefeweisen and Great Lakes Fitzgerald Porter are great.

If u like Belgian's, there is a Best of Belgian variety pack that has 12 Stellas, 6 Hoegaarden's, and 6 Leffe's.

Very good.
xsv
Not a craft beer or anything, but I've fallen in love with some of the light lagers, like Landshark. And I can drink more than a dozen of them without falling down.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 15 2014, 10:37 PM) *
Since Dutch admitted he likes the "wee heavy" (and RF got a little nervous about his past), Jax mentioned an on going beer thread.

One of the better ones I had in the fall was the Great Lakes Octoberfest. Real smooth. King of the Octs IMO.

I mentioned in the other thread, the best beer I ever had was St Bernardus Abt 12. A Belgian beauty.

If u like Belgian's, there is a Best of Belgian variety pack that has 12 Stellas, 6 Hoegaarden's, and 6 Leffe's.

Very good.

Jax
QUOTE (xsv @ Apr 16 2014, 07:47 AM) *
Not a craft beer or anything, but I've fallen in love with some of the light lagers, like Landshark. And I can drink more than a dozen of them without falling down.

Landshark is a good Lager available everywhere. A tad pricey for an everyday beer, but I do like Landshark.
Jax
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 15 2014, 10:37 PM) *

Very good.

Thanks Mike, this will be a great thread to keep going as we try new stuff. I won't bother trying to recount my beer sampling of recent past but I will record them all going forward. I love the rise of craft beer like the wine business had a big rise about a decade ago. Things started out west and now here in the east we have a good selection of stuff from all over the country/world as well as a number of fantastic local brewers.

Beer is fun!!
HobbEs

The problem with that is it's all AB InBev brands. They buy up a lot of the independent breweries and then cut corners to save money. The end result is a beer that is good...but not as good as the original product. That being said, the Leffe brown ale is pretty good.

If you like Belgians my favorite is still La Chouffe. Chimay Cinq Cents and Trippel Karmeliet are a close 2nd/3rd. Also, if you like Hoegaarden then try a Blanche de Bruxelles. It's always been the better Belgian White.

Other beers that have caught my attention are Smithwick's Premium Irish Ale and Sam Smith Organic Lager. Sam Smith also makes a good strawberry and raspberry fruit ale (great for the summer time).

Great Lakes Elliot Ness and Alagash White are great on draft but not as good in the bottle.

Maybe we need to do a Wingheads beer fest?
make_it_rain
It's cliche, and as a disclaimer I'm not knowledgeable about the beer scene it the least bit, but I'm a big Troegs fan. Nugget Nectar is simply fantastic.

During the playoff game against the saints I bought a sampler case and started throwing back Troegenators, not realizing at the time it was like 8 percent alcohol. Things started to get pretty hazy by the third quarter. By the fourth quarter, I was completely blacked out, then ended up puking and falling asleep on my couch. I had to wake up all struggling and drag myself to my computer just to see who won the game, because I had no idea what happened.

Yeah, that wasnt a fun day sad.gif

Still, Troegs makes pretty good beer.
HobbEs
Still, Troegs makes pretty good beer.

Did you try the Mad Elf this past year? I thought it was outstanding.
Jax
Wingheads Beer Fest for sure!

Putting Sam Smith on my list.

I recommend we indicate class whenever we name a beer, ie Lager, IPA, Wheat, etc.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Apr 16 2014, 09:55 AM) *
Did you try the Mad Elf this past year? I thought it was outstanding.

Oh yes. Thats another dangerous beer as well biggrin.gif
D Rock
Golden Road Brewery's "Point the Way IPA" is my current favorite.

Lagunitas Brewery's "Wild Sumpin Sumpin" is a close 2nd. And it's 10% to boot!!!!
nephillymike
The Troegs nugget nectar is very highly rated but very choppy. I've tried it twice but didn't care for it. Hoppy style lovers rave about it.

The Elliot Ness is very good. It's a "Vienna lager", the same style as Sam Adams Boston Lager but smoother.

IMO, the best variety pack is the Great Lakes. You get six each of the Fitz Porter, Elliot Ness Vienna style lager, the Dortmunder Gold, and the Burning River Pale Ale. Pale Ale is not a favorite style of mine, but it is decent. The other three are outstanding!

nephillymike
http://www.beeradvocate.com

http://www.ratebeer.com

Both of these are great sites to get ratings and styles. You can use the search function at top right w/o logging in.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Apr 16 2014, 08:35 AM) *
The problem with that is it's all AB InBev brands. They buy up a lot of the independent breweries and then cut corners to save money. The end result is a beer that is good...but not as good as the original product. That being said, the Leffe brown ale is pretty good.

If you like Belgians my favorite is still La Chouffe. Chimay Cinq Cents and Trippel Karmeliet are a close 2nd/3rd. Also, if you like Hoegaarden then try a Blanche de Bruxelles. It's always been the better Belgian White.

Other beers that have caught my attention are Smithwick's Premium Irish Ale and Sam Smith Organic Lager. Sam Smith also makes a good strawberry and raspberry fruit ale (great for the summer time).

Great Lakes Elliot Ness and Alagash White are great on draft but not as good in the bottle.

Maybe we need to do a Wingheads beer fest?

Hobbes,

What/where are some of your favorite beer bars in the area?
nephillymike
http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/great-lake...ng-company/205/

Tough to beat this menu of beers. Look at how many are > 90% in their style. Amazing really.

I have never seen the Conway's Irish Ale in the craft brew stores I frequent.

All are reasonably priced,
Jax
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 16 2014, 08:04 PM) *
The Troegs nugget nectar is very highly rated but very choppy. I've tried it twice but didn't care for it. Hoppy style lovers rave about it.

The Elliot Ness is very good. It's a "Vienna lager", the same style as Sam Adams Boston Lager but smoother.

IMO, the best variety pack is the Great Lakes. You get six each of the Fitz Porter, Elliot Ness Vienna style lager, the Dortmunder Gold, and the Burning River Pale Ale. Pale Ale is not a favorite style of mine, but it is decent. The other three are outstanding!

Whenever I try a bottle/can beer at home and absolutely don't like it enough to finish them off then I add it to the section of my garage fridge reserved for random houseguests. I will try the Great Lakes sampler and put the Pale Ale into my guest stock (hey some people like it).
Jax
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 16 2014, 07:49 PM) *

Lagunitas Brewery's "Wild Sumpin Sumpin" is a close 2nd. And it's 10% to boot!!!!

D, is Sumpin Sumpin an IPA also?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Jax @ Apr 16 2014, 07:40 PM) *
Whenever I try a bottle/can beer at home and absolutely don't like it enough to finish them off then I add it to the section of my garage fridge reserved for random houseguests. I will try the Great Lakes sampler and put the Pale Ale into my guest stock (hey some people like it).

The beer I couldn't give away? Yards Spruce Ale from the Yards Ales of the Revolution Variety Case.

Think pine needles from a Christmas tree in water. Awful. The other two beers in that case, the Thomas Jefferson Porter and George Washington Ale are good.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 16 2014, 09:05 PM) *
The beer I couldn't give away? Yards Spruce Ale from the Yards Ales of the Revolution Variety Case.

Think pine needles from a Christmas tree in water. Awful. The other two beers in that case, the Thomas Jefferson Porter and George Washington Ale are good.

In general, I'd prefer a Schlitz Malt Liquor to an Ale. Amber Ale I like well enough but not most Ales... no pale ales for me

make_it_rain
downtown, monks right off 16th and spruce is a great spot to get some solid food and a good beer. my only gripe is the place gets packed, so if you dont have a table it could be a bit of a wait.
D Rock
QUOTE (Jax @ Apr 17 2014, 01:41 AM) *
D, is Sumpin Sumpin an IPA also?

It is. Malt Liquor? Really?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 16 2014, 06:49 PM) *

That's good to hear. I'm likely having what amounts to my wedding reception at Golden Road later this year.
I love hops and had been real into the double IPA's for a while, but I've been moving back towards less hopped, session IPA's of late. I recently really enjoyed Stone's Go To IPA.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 17 2014, 01:49 AM) *
It is. Malt Liquor? Really?

Kind of a joke...
xsv
QUOTE (Jax @ Apr 16 2014, 10:49 AM) *
Wingheads Beer Fest for sure!

Putting Sam Smith on my list.

I recommend we indicate class whenever we name a beer, ie Lager, IPA, Wheat, etc.

Sam Smith is another light lager that I like.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (xsv @ Apr 17 2014, 07:38 AM) *

X, perhaps our beerfest should either be at Chickie & Pete's or in the parking lot before a game. We do play the Jags at home this year. Of course as an out of towner that is my cote because the following (only half selfish reasons):

1 - tickets easiest to get vs lowly Jaguars
2 - We owe those bastards for beating us in the wind bowl with david Garrard in their only other visit to the Linc
3 - My wife is most likely to let me go if it is a trip with some other Jacksonville people (only my dad would be hanging with us not the others)

Of course, we have to wait a few more days for the schedule dates to be released. Regardless, I am game to try to come to a beerfest/tailgate scheduled around watching some Eagles.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (xsv @ Apr 17 2014, 07:38 AM) *

X, perhaps our beerfest should either be at Chickie & Pete's or in the parking lot before a game. We do play the Jags at home this year. Of course as an out of towner that is my cote because the following (only half selfish reasons):

2 - We owe those bastards for beating us in the wind bowl with david Garrard in their only other visit to the Linc
3 - My wife is most likely to let me go if it is a trip with some other Jacksonville people (only my dad would be hanging with us not the others)

Of course, we have to wait a few more days for the schedule dates to be released. Regardless, I am game to try to come to a beerfest/tailgate scheduled around watching some Eagles.
xsv
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Apr 17 2014, 08:45 AM) *

Yeah, my wife has been hinting that she'd like to make the trip again *if* we can go early in the season. She doesn't like Philly winters, at all. :-)
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 17 2014, 06:52 AM) *
That's good to hear. I'm likely having what amounts to my wedding reception at Golden Road later this year.
I love hops and had been real into the double IPA's for a while, but I've been moving back towards less hopped, session IPA's of late. I recently really enjoyed Stone's Go To IPA.

You gonna be in Cali?
JaxEagle
QUOTE (xsv @ Apr 17 2014, 09:00 AM) *
Yeah, my wife has been hinting that she'd like to make the trip again *if* we can go early in the season. She doesn't like Philly winters, at all. :-)

Let's see what the schedule brings.
HOUSEoPAIN
Weyerbacher Merry Monks.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Apr 16 2014, 09:44 AM) *
Yeah, that wasnt a fun day sad.gif

Just think, if you blacked out before the Eagles game started, all you would've remembered is vintage Andy pissing away a
timeout, contributing to an early exit from the playoffs - and it would've been a great day!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 17 2014, 11:20 AM) *
You gonna be in Cali?

That plan would be pretty hard otherwise smile.gif

Getting married at SF City Hall, then driving down the coast and doing a family gathering/reception in LA, where the future Misses is from (actually SD, but her family has migrated north)

Very unconventional plan.
D Rock
Nice! Congrats, n all that! I live about 3 miles up the hill from Golden Road. It's a fantastic lil company, and that Point the Way IPA is literally my favorite. They're doing some great work there. Female owned and operated craft brewery that's become an icon in the community virtually overnight. The road house is fun too. Right next door the the brewhouse in a row of formerly beat up/run down warehouses by the train tracks n the "river."

JaxEagle
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Apr 17 2014, 01:26 PM) *
Weyerbacher Merry Monks.

Sounds IPA'ish. What is it?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Apr 17 2014, 03:44 PM) *
Sounds IPA'ish. What is it?

Belgian Tripel. Brewed in Easton.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 17 2014, 02:15 PM) *
Nice! Congrats, n all that! I live about 3 miles up the hill from Golden Road. It's a fantastic lil company, and that Point the Way IPA is literally my favorite. They're doing some great work there. Female owned and operated craft brewery that's become an icon in the community virtually overnight. The road house is fun too. Right next door the the brewhouse in a row of formerly beat up/run down warehouses by the train tracks n the "river."

Thanks, man. I've heard real good things. The gathering should be pretty off-beat. I'll inevitably be consuming many IPA's. The Point the Way seems right in my current sweet spot.
bwc2112
Down here in North Carolina our craft brew is called "Moonshine" . Smooth with a kick!
bwc2112
Down here in North Carolina our craft brew is called "Moonshine" . Smooth with a kick!
nephillymike
I went to a local craft brew store and created my own six pack.

Victory Storm King Stout
Weihenstefaner Hefeweisen
Anderson Valley Winter Solstice
Yards Washington Porter
Allagash White
Great Lakes Eliot Ness

Will post reviews.

JaxEagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 18 2014, 09:28 PM) *
I went to a local craft brew store and created my own six pack.

Victory Storm King Stout
Weihenstefaner Hefeweisen
Anderson Valley Winter Solstice
Yards Washington Porter
Allagash White
Great Lakes Eliot Ness

Will post reviews.

Send one through the lines and I will help with the review!
nephillymike
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Apr 18 2014, 08:48 PM) *
Send one through the lines and I will help with the review!

The Victory storm stout was real good.

I'd give it an A-.

It's an imperial stout 9.1% abv. Highly recommended.
JaxEagle
I have only met a few stouts I didn't like. What are the various types of stouts? Imperial, Milk, etc? I'm still a bit of a novice of some of this
nephillymike
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Apr 19 2014, 08:27 AM) *
I have only met a few stouts I didn't like. What are the various types of stouts? Imperial, Milk, etc? I'm still a bit of a novice of some of this

If you click on the beer advocate link, they have a tab called beer styles, separated by style and country. It will give you a quick Cliff Notes version of all the styles and you can get the top beers in each style.
nephillymike
Anderson Valley Winter Solstice - a winter seasonal carmely tasting brew with a hint of spices/fruit. Decent. A little too carmely for me. Not as good as Sam Adams Fezziweg Ale, but I'd give it a B.

Allagash White - a Belgian Witbier. Light and tasty. Similar to the popular Hoegaarden. Very good. Highly recommend it, especially when the warmer weather comes. A solid A.
nephillymike
Weihenstefaner Heffeweissen - pardon the spelling. One of my favorite styles, a German wheat beer. The class of the class. An A for sure. Also reasonably priced.

Great Lakes Eliot Ness Lager - a Vienna lager, similar to Sam Adams Boston Lager but smoother, not bitter. Very good, A-.

One left, the Yards Wash. Porter. Maybe I'll drink that one tomorrow.

My reviews are favorable as I have had each of these before and liked them.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 20 2014, 10:52 PM) *
Weihenstefaner Heffeweissen - pardon the spelling. One of my favorite styles, a German wheat beer. The class of the class. An A for sure. Also reasonably priced.

Great Lakes Eliot Ness Lager - a Vienna lager, similar to Sam Adams Boston Lager but smoother, not bitter. Very good, A-.

One left, the Yards Wash. Porter. Maybe I'll drink that one tomorrow.

My reviews are favorable as I have had each of these before and liked them.

A late entry or two are:
Riverhorse, Tripel Horse - I'm partial to tripels, and Riverhorse has a very mild taste of clove and citrus.
Neshaminy Creek, Punkel Dunkel - If you like seasonal pumpkin ale this is one of the best I've ever tasted. A pumkin spice almost like the pie Mom makes for Thanksgiving.
HobbEs
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 16 2014, 08:15 PM) *
Hobbes,

What/where are some of your favorite beer bars in the area?

I don't hang out at a lot of 'beer bars' per se. The little corner bar in my neighborhood is called Union Jack's and they always have some good stuff on draft. If you get down into Manayunk Cooper's Wine Bar has a good tap list as well...but it's a bit pricey.

The place I want to try is Bar Li in Chinatown. I've seen their tap list online and it is epic! If I'm in the mood to go to a brew pub then I generally go to Iron Hill up in Chestnut Hill or the Earth, Bread and Brewery which is also in the Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy area.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Apr 21 2014, 10:01 AM) *
I don't hang out at a lot of 'beer bars' per se. The little corner bar in my neighborhood is called Union Jack's and they always have some good stuff on draft. If you get down into Manayunk Cooper's Wine Bar has a good tap list as well...but it's a bit pricey.

The place I want to try is Bar Li in Chinatown. I've seen their tap list online and it is epic! If I'm in the mood to go to a brew pub then I generally go to Iron Hill up in Chestnut Hill or the Earth, Bread and Brewery which is also in the Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy area.

Put those on the list for our brew tour as part of the next Wingheads Tailgate
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 21 2014, 07:22 AM) *
A late entry or two are:
Riverhorse, Tripel Horse - I'm partial to tripels, and Riverhorse has a very mild taste of clove and citrus.
Neshaminy Creek, Punkel Dunkel - If you like seasonal pumpkin ale this is one of the best I've ever tasted. A pumkin spice almost like the pie Mom makes for Thanksgiving.

I was wondering when you were going to chime in.

I take it that the pumpkin isn't around any more, right?

I will put the Triple Horse on my short list.

Merry Monks, St. Bernardus are two tripels I have had recently also FF Exit 4. The steady Golden Monkey also. Haven't had a Chimay in a few years.

Tripel is a great style but have to drink only one or two with the 10%.

Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 21 2014, 08:33 PM) *
I was wondering when you were going to chime in.

I take it that the pumpkin isn't around any more, right?

I will put the Triple Horse on my short list.

Merry Monks, St. Bernardus are two tripels I have had recently also FF Exit 4. The steady Golden Monkey also. Haven't had a Chimay in a few years.

Tripel is a great style but have to drink only one or two with the 10%.

Definitely look for the Neshaminy Creek Punkel Dunkel in early fall. Exit 4 was very good but I have a hard time finding it.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 21 2014, 07:57 PM) *
Definitely look for the Neshaminy Creek Punkel Dunkel in early fall. Exit 4 was very good but I have a hard time finding it.

Z,

If you find yourself in nephilly, check out the craft beer outlet

http://craftbeeroutlet.com

Definitely worth the stop. Only five mins off the woodhaven exit or academy exit of 95. Great selection. Nice people.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.