Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heard some bad news on ACL tears
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
The NFL network had a segment on the total access show this weekend with Andrea Kramer about ACL tears and recovery from.

They interviewed a bunch of folks and everyone said two things:

#1. You do not fully recover until the 2nd year back
#2. You never get back the full use of the knee like you had it.

AP is the exception, but they had a bunch of guys and doctors saying the same thing.

Damn.

I thought that Maclin would be good to go. Apparently not. Next year is his year.

This being the case, the Jackson cut is more ill-advised as I had originally thought AND we need to get a WR in the 1st round, 2nd at latest. Previously, I would have been OK with a 3rd or 4th round guy for depth.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 13 2014, 11:48 AM) *
The NFL network had a segment on the total access show this weekend with Andrea Kramer about ACL tears and recovery from.

They interviewed a bunch of folks and everyone said two things:

#1. You do not fully recover until the 2nd year back
#2. You never get back the full use of the knee like you had it.

AP is the exception, but they had a bunch of guys and doctors saying the same thing.

Damn.

I thought that Maclin would be good to go. Apparently not. Next year is his year.

This being the case, the Jackson cut is more ill-advised as I had originally thought AND we need to get a WR in the 1st round, 2nd at latest. Previously, I would have been OK with a 3rd or 4th round guy for depth.

hey chicken little....relax...each case is different....you won't know until you see him run.....But I am curious.....the Eagles are monitoring his rehab...Kelly sees the Docs...talks to the docs and the trainers.....is it your position that they went and cut Jackson AND resigned Maclin(and they tried to do so for multiple years) on a wish that he was going to be ok? I know your conspiracy theories run deep but I did not realize you gave up on your Kelly love so soon.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 13 2014, 11:52 AM) *
hey chicken little....relax...each case is different....you won't know until you see him run.....But I am curious.....the Eagles are monitoring his rehab...Kelly sees the Docs...talks to the docs and the trainers.....is it your position that they went and cut Jackson AND resigned Maclin(and they tried to do so for multiple years) on a wish that he was going to be ok? I know your conspiracy theories run deep but I did not realize you gave up on your Kelly love so soon.

No, not at all. No conspiracy.

Prior to hearing the show, I would have thought the norm was getting back to 100% in your first year back as long as you had a full year, which he would.

They had Carson Palmer saying for him it was the third year, and he never got back to where he was. Other guys said the same about not getting fully back to where you were.

Point being, we need Maclin to be 100% to make up for DJ.

It seems that it would be unusual for him to be at that level.

That surprised me.

Try to catch the NFL total access that runs so many times this weekend. See what you think.
JaxEagle
Agree each case is different and I have to believe the Eagles have been watching Maclin closely. I think in today's world of knee repair it is possible to reach a full recovery. Let's hope for the best!
nephillymike
BTW, as regards to Jackson, a conspiracy theory would be that they planted the story as a justification of cutting him.

I do not believe that to be the case.

A theory that they did so to save the money and reduce the investment in this year's team is not a conspiracy at all.

Such theory is easily dispelled or verified by the actions of the team between now and opening day.

I know you will share my outrage if that remains the case by opening day right?

Man the torches??
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 13 2014, 01:54 PM) *
No, not at all. No conspiracy.

Prior to hearing the show, I would have thought the norm was getting back to 100% in your first year back as long as you had a full year, which he would.

They had Carson Palmer saying for him it was the third year, and he never got back to where he was. Other guys said the same about not getting fully back to where you were.

Point being, we need Maclin to be 100% to make up for DJ.

It seems that it would be unusual for him to be at that level.

That surprised me.

Try to catch the NFL total access that runs so many times this weekend. See what you think.

From what I have heard Maclin has been at NovaCare rehabbing daily since the injury, so I would think the Eagles have a very good idea how strong that knee is at this point. I think Maclin's dedication to rehab and keeping in shape by basically living at the facility added to Chip's desire to move on from Jackson and his more distant off season. I'm not too worried about Maclin, Chip and his sport science approach will find a way to get him up to speed.

rumply
Interesting discussion on ACL's - The main sport I follow is Aussie Rules Football (NFL runs a very close second) & ACL's are unfortunately a common occurrence for the athletes that play that sport.

I agree with the '2 years' for athletes to get back close to where they were prior to the injury & often that can also be due to not only the time needed for the knee to fully repair but also hamstring issues that can arise as often a graft is taken from a hamstring to repair the ACL. Complications often arise.

That said I have seen many athletes return to their best, or near enough to not really matter. A reason why players may think they don't get back to their best is they are a year or two older by the time they get back on the field & that's a long time to be out of any pursuit.

Maclin could well have a solid return this coming season, each athlete is different so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 13 2014, 05:52 PM) *

So too, Mac turned down the security of an offered 5 year deal. He himself is banking on his return THIS year. Who knows better than JMac where his knee is at? This isn't his first knee blowout either. He knows well what's required as he's been there before.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 14 2014, 11:59 AM) *
So too, Mac turned down the security of an offered 5 year deal. He himself is banking on his return THIS year. Who knows better than JMac where his knee is at? This isn't his first knee blowout either. He knows well what's required as he's been there before.

amen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.