Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: for Eyrie
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Flying Dutchman
Here in "The Villages" I recently tried some Founders "Dirty Bastard". It's a "Wee Heavy" ie Scots Ale, which I read was also known as a "160" back in the 1800s.
It has a dark brownish color, smells of fruit and tastes of malt Scotch, smokiness, caramel, roasted malt, toffee and more which I am not qualified to identify. All I know is this
is a beer which I love like few I have ever tried. Today we just cracked a six-pack to go with some pizza and I and the rest are happy campers. I know this one is from Grand Rapids Michigan over here but still thanks for the export to the US. This is really good stuff!!!!!
JaxEagle
Great report, thanks Dutch. As a rule I don't like Ales but this one sounds like something I'd like. I don't mind Amber Ale and Red Ale. Beyond that I am a Lager, Stout, Porter fan. I will keep my eye out for this bastard
nephillymike
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Apr 12 2014, 11:57 AM) *
Here in "The Villages" I recently tried some Founders "Dirty Bastard". It's a "Wee Heavy" ie Scots Ale, which I read was also known as a "160" back in the 1800s.
It has a dark brownish color, smells of fruit and tastes of malt Scotch, smokiness, caramel, roasted malt, toffee and more which I am not qualified to identify. All I know is this
is a beer which I love like few I have ever tried. Today we just cracked a six-pack to go with some pizza and I and the rest are happy campers. I know this one is from Grand Rapids Michigan over here but still thanks for the export to the US. This is really good stuff!!!!!

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/founders-back...-bastard/69624/

Is this the one Dutch?

Very highly rated. At 10% alcohol, you're probably sleeping by now.

I got to get to my craft beer outlet to replenish. Only a few macros left, gotta get the good stuff.
Eyrie
Never been a beer drinker, so I'm not qualified to comment beyond saying "Enjoy!"

I briefly drank lager as a teenager before moving to cider, but from my early twenties I've been exclusively a single malt drinker. That said, as I've got older my alcohol consumption has dwindled to almost nothing - my norm now is one dram on a Friday evening and that's about it.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 13 2014, 05:18 AM) *
Never been a beer drinker, so I'm not qualified to comment beyond saying "Enjoy!"

I briefly drank lager as a teenager before moving to cider, but from my early twenties I've been exclusively a single malt drinker. That said, as I've got older my alcohol consumption has dwindled to almost nothing - my norm now is one dram on a Friday evening and that's about it.

That being said, the name "wee heavy" didn't strike me as being your style. If it was 'tad light", then I would guess your the man! biggrin.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 13 2014, 11:32 AM) *
That being said, the name "wee heavy" didn't strike me as being your style. If it was 'tad light", then I would guess your the man! biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

If I was a wee heavy, I'd do a better job of weighing down tents!
Reality Fan
Silly me.....when I read the title I though Dutch had fallen for a fat girl........go figure...... laugh.gif laugh.gif
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 13 2014, 01:28 PM) *
Silly me.....when I read the title I though Dutch had fallen for a fat girl........go figure...... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Lol, I actually thought the same which is why I quickly clicked on the thread. Nice work Dutch!
nephillymike
And Dutch would oblige with pictures if we asked!!

Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 13 2014, 02:10 PM) *
And Dutch would oblige with pictures if we asked!!

Mikey me lad, you tempt the original "Dirty ---Old---Bastard" on this one laugh.gif Here be what ye thought by "Wee Heavy" and what we meant!!!!

Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 12 2014, 10:40 PM) *
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/founders-back...-bastard/69624/

Is this the one Dutch?

Very highly rated. At 10% alcohol, you're probably sleeping by now.

I got to get to my craft beer outlet to replenish. Only a few macros left, gotta get the good stuff.

Close to the "Backwoods Bastard" and rated very similarly. Both are considered "Excellent". This Dirty Bastard will be looking in the Backwoods soon.
nephillymike
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/founders-dirt...otch-ale/11498/

Still highly rated with a hefty 8.5% alcohol content.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Apr 13 2014, 09:40 PM) *
Mikey me lad, you tempt the original "Dirty ---Old---Bastard" on this one laugh.gif Here be what ye thought by "Wee Heavy" and what we meant!!!!

something tells me too many of the 2nd can lead to a night with the first.......
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 14 2014, 07:37 PM) *
something tells me too many of the 2nd can lead to a night with the first.......

Sounds like you talk from experience RF!
JaxEagle
I have no comment... well I had one but I will refrain.... LOL
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 14 2014, 08:07 PM) *
Sounds like you talk from experience RF!

that is hurtful Mikey........but unless there are pictures I deny enerything
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 14 2014, 08:37 PM) *

one can only hope
Jax
Dutch,

We have some great new local breweries here in Jax. I know they are popping up everywhere but Intuition and Bold City are two really awesome breweries with good variety. Might make for a good road trip sometime!

Anyway, here is a beer that can be found in craft brew stores and even making its way into chain stores now. It is from teh Pac Northwest and I really like this stuff. They have an American Lager (Red), Amber (Green) and a dark lager (Black) which is one of my favorite beers going right now. I'd give it a try. I am definitely going to hunt down a 6 pack of dirty bastard!

Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Jax @ Apr 15 2014, 12:44 PM) *
Dutch,

We have some great new local breweries here in Jax. I know they are popping up everywhere but Intuition and Bold City are two really awesome breweries with good variety. Might make for a good road trip sometime!

Anyway, here is a beer that can be found in craft brew stores and even making its way into chain stores now. It is from teh Pac Northwest and I really like this stuff. They have an American Lager (Red), Amber (Green) and a dark lager (Black) which is one of my favorite beers going right now. I'd give it a try. I am definitely going to hunt down a 6 pack of dirty bastard!

I'll look for the Dark Lager locally. The next time the Dutchess and I get up to St Augustin we should find a way to meet up somewhere. Thanks for the tip.
Jax
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Apr 15 2014, 06:18 PM) *
I'll look for the Dark Lager locally. The next time the Dutchess and I get up to St Augustin we should find a way to meet up somewhere. Thanks for the tip.

Absolutely, I'd love to do it and hope you can get up soon before it is brutally hot. I didn't mention Mile Marker Brewing in St. Augustine. It's another with some great beers in my opinion. I am not an IPA kinda guy and these three local breweries have plenty of choices other than IPA. It seems that many places are nothing but IPA's these days. I have been to some tap rooms where they have 15 taps and every damn one of them is a IPA of some kind.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Jax @ Apr 15 2014, 06:25 PM) *
Absolutely, I'd love to do it and hope you can get up soon before it is brutally hot. I didn't mention Mile Marker Brewing in St. Augustine. It's another with some great beers in my opinion. I am not an IPA kinda guy and these three local breweries have plenty of choices other than IPA. It seems that many places are nothing but IPA's these days. I have been to some tap rooms where they have 15 taps and every damn one of them is a IPA of some kind.

I agree, not an IPA guy either. Lucky enough that IPAs only make up about 40% of the craft brew bar choices. I did have a new Sam Adams soft IPA-ish brew I had recently that was decent. I'll look it up.

Best beer I ever had....St Bernardus Abt 12.....awesome.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 15 2014, 09:59 PM) *
I agree, not an IPA guy either. Lucky enough that IPAs only make up about 40% of the craft brew bar choices. I did have a new Sam Adams soft IPA-ish brew I had recently that was decent. I'll look it up.

Best beer I ever had....St Bernardus Abt 12.....awesome.

Interesting. I will put St Bernardus on my list with Dirty Bastard. Perhaps we should have a new subforum for beer reviews. While I am trying to cut down my beer drinking, it has become a hobby in last few years. I have some good breweries and craft beer stores that carry hundreds of brews. I usually try a new beer or two each week. Lagers, Stouts and Porters are my style.
nephillymike
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Apr 15 2014, 09:07 PM) *
Interesting. I will put St Bernardus on my list with Dirty Bastard. Perhaps we should have a new subforum for beer reviews. While I am trying to cut down my beer drinking, it has become a hobby in last few years. I have some good breweries and craft beer stores that carry hundreds of brews. I usually try a new beer or two each week. Lagers, Stouts and Porters are my style.

At least a beer thread. I'll do the honors.

I like your three styles but I like Belgian style a lot and Heffeweizen's too. (Not heffers Dutch!)

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and Weihefstefaner Hefeweizen are two great ones. (Sp?)

Jax
Thanks Mike. I have a shopping list going with Dirty Bastard, St Bernardus and Gr Lks Ed Fitz Porter!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.