Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2014 Draft: Who Do You Want in the First Round?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Endlessknight
Simply question, who do you want the Eagles to take in the first round. With Jackson gone I'm leaning towards Marqise Lee (assuming he's fully healthy). If it wasn't for his injuries this past season he'd be a top 5 pick but most mocks have him dropping down to end of the first round.
nephillymike
Who I want, is different than who will likely be available. So to make my wish reasonable, I took a look at seven mocks I follow and list who they said we would pick, along with who I would pick with my alternate selections.

Most of the good ones are gone, but you can see where some will trickle down in certain mocks.

I only have S, CB, 34OLB, 34DE, 34DT, OG and WR as my positions of need.

Site..................Mock Pick.....................My Pick....................Next Three Best Avail at Pos of Need
Draftek............FS Pryor........................FS Pryor....................WR Beckham, OG Martin,WR Cooks
ESPN-McShay...CB Roby........................WR Beckham..............WR Cooks, DT Nix, CB Roby
ESPN Kiper.......WR Lee.........................WR Lee.................... DT Nix, CB Roby, OLB Shazier
Walter FB1.......WR Lee..........................WR Lee.....................WR Beckham, DT Nix, CB Roby
Walter FB2.......OLB Ford.......................CB Dennard................WR Lee, DT Nix, OLB Shazier
NFL.com...........WR Lee.........................WR Lee.......................WR Beckham, DT Nix, CB Roby
CBS Sports........CB Roby........................WR Lee......................WR Cooks, CB Roby, OLB Shazier

Disappointed that both Ha Ha and Gilbert, my two best DB's are not around at #22 on any of the 7 mocks!!

The mocks have us taking WR Lee 3x, CB Roby 2x and OLB Ford and FS Pryor once.
I have us taking WR Lee 4x, FS Pryor, CB Dennard and WR Beckham once each.

Here is my draft board at positions of need for any player that was available at #22 in any of the seven mocks:

1. CB Dennard
2. WR Lee
3. FS Pryor
4. WR Beckham
5. OG Martin
6. WR Cooks
7. DT Nix
8. CB Roby
9. OLB Shazier
10. DE Tuitt
11. CB Verett
12. DT Hageman
13. CB Fuller
14. WR Benjamin
15. OG Su'a Filo
16. OLB Ford
17 OG Yankey

Chances are, we get one of these in round one, and one or two slip down to the 2nd round. It would be nice to get two of these. My guess is the OG's and DT's will slip.

BTW, Manziel is slipping and is available at #22 in many of the mocks, which is surprising given his pro day flashes.

Also, it is a shame that WR is now a need. I would be OK with skipping the WR and going with the best defensive player instead provided that they were ranked on the same tier on their board.
Zero
Does Arrelious Benn play into the WR situation at all? Lots of injuries and not much production in 5 years but Kelly traded for him and he's apparently healthy again.
Dreagon
Sigh. The draft is supposed to be this month. The NFL went and ruined April mad.gif
samaroo
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 9 2014, 05:29 AM) *
Sigh. The draft is supposed to be this month. The NFL went and ruined April mad.gif

Amen!

To the original question, I want D fast and often. DJ will be missed on the field, but Macklin should pick up most of that slack. My hope is for Pryor first, then edge rusher, then CB and WR.

I think S is priority #1. OLB/DE #2.

Just my opinion.
Aitkens
Anyone in the draft, I'm taking Khalil Mack. Steps in as a starter at OLB on Day 1. Unfortunately, he's not going to be there at 22. Top 3 needs for the Eagles are CB, S, Pass Rushing OLB. So if they're sitting there at 22, you take the top rated guy available within reason. Sure talent will fall, but they have to be smart. If the top rated player on the board is a QB, clearly they have to go in a different direction. It's not a need. The same can be said for RB, even though this draft doesn't have a RB worth taking in the 1st round. Be smart, follow the board, take players that fit the team and fill a hole. Too often in the past the Eagles have tried filling round holes with square pegs.

In terms of realistic options at 22...

CB:
Darqueze Dennard - tough physical corner.
Bradley Roby - most talented pure corner in the draft.
Jason Verrett - Injury history, but he's fast and physical.

S:
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix -Only thing I'm worried about is that report that will leak in May that he's had multiple surgeries while at Alabama. Happens too often with Alabama players.
Calvin Pryor - more of a realistic option for the Eagles at 22.

Pass Rusher/OLB:
Dee Ford - Speed kills, worry about him being attacked with the running game, but as a pass rusher he's there.
Ryan Shazier - Speed kills, notice a trend here? He's fast, physical, and makes plays.

other options...

DT - Ra'Shede Hageman - Big, physical defensive lineman. Not a need, but one to consider.
WR - Brandin Cooks - With the dropping of Desean Jackson this guy has become the big buzz as of late. He'd also be able to add his talents to Special Teams as well.

Biggest guy to avoid...

WR - Kelvin Benjamin - Big, fast, boom or bust hands, horrible routes. This is the one guy I am looking to avoid. He could pan out if he can figure out how to put it all together, but that's not something I want the Eagles to gamble on. You gamble on mid round and late guys. You need to take as much of a sure thing in the first few rounds as possible.
make_it_rain
Cooks, Ford, Shazier, Prior, or any highly graded CB not named Bradley Roby. Verret looks a little small, he seems decent but could just end up being a slot guy. Throw Anthony Barr in there too, there's a chance he could slip a bit so I'll consider him a remote possibility.

Not really a fan of Marqise Lee. Admittedly, I haven't seen much of him though, but he looks like he killed it in 2012 and was drug down a bit by injuries this year.

Can someone who knows more comment on why this guy would be a good/bad fit?
D Rock
My dream scenario would see us landing WR Cook in round 1, then trading our 2nd rounder and next year's 1st to Miami for OLB Dion Jordan who was taken #3 overall last year, but is a man without a position in Miami now that they've switched to a 4/3.
mcnabbulous
Best defensive player available. Preferably a pass rusher or corner. If I had to name names (like at Hop Sing's) I would say Kyle Fuller or Justin Gilbert.

What I think happens...

We trade out of the first round and try to pick up a mid-round pick that we lost when we traded for Sproles.

I would wager money that we don't take a WR in the first. Especially with the depth of this draft's class.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 9 2014, 06:32 PM) *
I would wager money that we don't take a WR in the first. Especially with the depth of this draft's class.

I think that's a safe bet, unless Cooks falls to us at 22.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 9 2014, 12:34 PM) *
I think that's a safe bet, unless Cooks falls to us at 22.

I'm less convinced they are as high on Cooks as everyone else. I just don't see them giving away an expensive, small WR to then use their premium pick to draft a small WR who can one day become expensive.
D Rock
They didn't sour on desean because of his size. They soured on him, because he's a dick.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 9 2014, 12:46 PM) *
They didn't sour on desean because of his size. They soured on him, because he's a dick.

Not to turn this into a Desean thread, but I think it was a combination of things.

He's a dick
He's not their ideal size
He's expensive
They don't want to allocate that much money to WR (and possibly the offense in general)

All of those things lead me to believe they won't take a WR in round-1 and when they do, he won't look much like Desean.
D Rock
When you put that list of "issues" with desean up against his production. . . the size becomes a non issue in my opinion. He's a dick and he's overpaid. Remove either of those factors and he'd likely still be wearing green on sunday's this fall. Would they prefer him to be 6'5"? Hell yeah. But when size is put on the scale across from production, it doesn't move the measurement one bit as I see it.

ETA: The idea that they don't want to allocate money to the offense is based exactly on what? As I see it, the reason they seem reticent to spend big anywhere is because they know that they have to re-up Foles, Cox, Kendricks, & Boykin next offseason. The downside to having a couple of good drafts is that you're going to have to pay to keep those players a couple of years down the line. Sanchez is making 500% of Foles' compensation for example.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 9 2014, 12:56 PM) *
When you put that list of "issues" with desean up against his production. . . the size becomes a non issue in my opinion. He's a dick and he's overpaid. Remove either of those factors and he'd likely still be wearing green on sunday's this fall. Would they prefer him to be 6'5"? Hell yeah. But when size is put on the scale across from production, it doesn't move the measurement one bit as I see it.

Guess we'll see. Things I've read recently from Chip lead me to believe they'll be looking bigger at the position. I didn't previously share that belief.

ETA: The idea that they don't want to allocate money to the offense is based exactly on what? As I see it, the reason they seem reticent to spend big anywhere is because they know that they have to re-up Foles, Cox, Kendricks, & Boykin next offseason. The downside to having a couple of good drafts is that you're going to have to pay to keep those players a couple of years down the line. Sanchez is making 500% of Foles' compensation for example.

I had read that our offense had the most money allocated on offense of any team in football by $5mm prior to Desean's release. I suspect Chip would rather have more money allocated towards defense and thinks his offense can thrive on scheme alone.

We already have a lot of money allocated to WR with Maclin and Cooper. I don't think they'll want to add a big rookie contract to that.

D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 9 2014, 07:11 PM) *
Guess we'll see. Things I've read recently from Chip lead me to believe they'll be looking bigger at the position. I didn't previously share that belief.

I had read that our offense had the most money allocated on offense of any team in football by $5mm prior to Desean's release. I suspect Chip would rather have more money allocated towards defense and thinks his offense can thrive on scheme alone.

We already have a lot of money allocated to WR with Maclin and Cooper. I don't think they'll want to add a big rookie contract to that.

Everything that I've heard Chip say is that "players trump scheme." The "scheme" aspect of your line of thinking is wrong in my opinion. How often has Chip said that his scheme is adjusted to fit the players?

So too, Chip has said repeatedly that he doesn't consider $$$ issues and leaves that to Howie. He's 100% focused on players and doesn't appear to think much at all about allocated dollars. That said, I'm sure Desean's inflated salary was involved in the decision to let him go. Not that it mattered that x% was allocated to x side of the ball, but simply because it factored into making the on field production not worth the headaches.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 9 2014, 01:19 PM) *
Everything that I've heard Chip say is that "players trump scheme." The "scheme" aspect of your line of thinking is wrong in my opinion. How often has Chip said that his scheme is adjusted to fit the players?

When I say scheme, I mean Chip scheming. I think he believes that he can out scheme his competition with lesser talent. So it makes sense to have more money, resources, and talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Just one man's opinion.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 9 2014, 07:26 PM) *
When I say scheme, I mean Chip scheming. I think he believes that he can out scheme his competition with lesser talent. So it makes sense to have more money, resources, and talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Just one man's opinion.

Yeah. I get what you're saying. I just think you're wrong.
Endlessknight
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 9 2014, 10:11 AM) *

But how much can we really count on Maclin?
Phits
QUOTE (Endlessknight @ Apr 9 2014, 06:58 PM) *
But how much can we really count on Maclin?

He got injured in August. He will be fully recovered by TC. You can count on him as much as you could any other player.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Aitkens @ Apr 9 2014, 11:02 AM) *
Anyone in the draft, I'm taking Khalil Mack. Steps in as a starter at OLB on Day 1. Unfortunately, he's not going to be there at 22. Top 3 needs for the Eagles are CB, S, Pass Rushing OLB. So if they're sitting there at 22, you take the top rated guy available within reason. Sure talent will fall, but they have to be smart. If the top rated player on the board is a QB, clearly they have to go in a different direction. It's not a need. The same can be said for RB, even though this draft doesn't have a RB worth taking in the 1st round. Be smart, follow the board, take players that fit the team and fill a hole. Too often in the past the Eagles have tried filling round holes with square pegs.

In terms of realistic options at 22...

CB:
Darqueze Dennard - tough physical corner.
Bradley Roby - most talented pure corner in the draft.
Jason Verrett - Injury history, but he's fast and physical.

S:
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix -Only thing I'm worried about is that report that will leak in May that he's had multiple surgeries while at Alabama. Happens too often with Alabama players.
Calvin Pryor - more of a realistic option for the Eagles at 22.

Pass Rusher/OLB:
Dee Ford - Speed kills, worry about him being attacked with the running game, but as a pass rusher he's there.
Ryan Shazier - Speed kills, notice a trend here? He's fast, physical, and makes plays.

other options...

DT - Ra'Shede Hageman - Big, physical defensive lineman. Not a need, but one to consider.
WR - Brandin Cooks - With the dropping of Desean Jackson this guy has become the big buzz as of late. He'd also be able to add his talents to Special Teams as well.

Biggest guy to avoid...

WR - Kelvin Benjamin - Big, fast, boom or bust hands, horrible routes. This is the one guy I am looking to avoid. He could pan out if he can figure out how to put it all together, but that's not something I want the Eagles to gamble on. You gamble on mid round and late guys. You need to take as much of a sure thing in the first few rounds as possible.

I agree on Benjamin. I would put Hageman on the bust watch and I'm not crazy about Ford.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 9 2014, 08:21 PM) *
I agree on Benjamin. I would put Hageman on the bust watch and I'm not crazy about Ford.

If they go WR then I want Cooks or Beckham or Lee. Any of them and I am a happy camper. Cooks if still available seems to be DJ series II but minus the headcase. We have enough Benjamins on our practice squad and IR already.
Zero
QUOTE (Aitkens @ Apr 9 2014, 11:02 AM) *
Pass Rusher/OLB:

Welcome aboard!

Defense needs pressure on the QB but do either of these guys cover? I'd go Shazier (4.4 forty?)over Ford only because of his familiarity with the position. That said, Diddy keeps selling Ford.

It seems Kelly will try to beat opponents with offense and try to have an acceptable defense ... kind of the opposite of Seattle. I'm thinking he replaces DJax early and I think he liked what that speed did for the field. If Cooks is there I think he's wearing green, if not then Lee or Beckham. My choice of those three would be Cooks but my overall choice, if he makes it that far would be Barr.

I'm worried about Maclin's health and I'm worried about Cole's age. Average DBs can be pretty good if the QB doesn't have time to throw and last year QBs had way too much time.

What kind of OLBs are available in the second or third rounds compared to WRs who will be available?
Aitkens
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 10 2014, 07:00 AM) *
Welcome aboard!

Defense needs pressure on the QB but do either of these guys cover? I'd go Shazier

What kind of OLBs are available in the second or third rounds compared to WRs who will be available?

Looking at the latest mock I've worked on here's a breakdown of LB vs WR through rounds 1-3. This includes all linebackers, OLB/ILB,4-3, 3-4 guys.

1st LB 4
1st WR 5

2nd LB 5
2nd WR 3

3rd LB 6
3rd WR 5

In the 2nd round especially you're going to get a few talented guy that have some sort of flag. You'll have a guy like C.J. Mosley, who is talented, but has a vast injury/surgery history. I love the production of Trent Murphy, but he's very limited with his athleticism, however I could see him being a solid 4-3 DE in the NFL.

After those 2, you're looking at the following...

Carl Bradford - projects as a 3-4 OLB, questions about his ability to stand up and defend the run.
Jeremiah Attaochu - Raw, plenty of untapped potential. Good athlete.
Kyle Van Noy - solid player, solid athlete, needs to be more relentless.
JaxEagle
Dennard
Zero
QUOTE (Aitkens @ Apr 10 2014, 03:38 PM) *
Looking at the latest mock I've worked on here's a breakdown of LB vs WR through rounds 1-3. This includes all linebackers, OLB/ILB,4-3, 3-4 guys.

1st LB 4
1st WR 5

2nd LB 5
2nd WR 3

3rd LB 6
3rd WR 5

In the 2nd round especially you're going to get a few talented guy that have some sort of flag. You'll have a guy like C.J. Mosley, who is talented, but has a vast injury/surgery history. I love the production of Trent Murphy, but he's very limited with his athleticism, however I could see him being a solid 4-3 DE in the NFL.

After those 2, you're looking at the following...

Carl Bradford - projects as a 3-4 OLB, questions about his ability to stand up and defend the run.
Jeremiah Attaochu - Raw, plenty of untapped potential. Good athlete.
Kyle Van Noy - solid player, solid athlete, needs to be more relentless.

I keep seeing the Eagles associated with Attaochu. My guess is they'll tap a rusher to learn behind Cole for a year, either in the second or third.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 13 2014, 05:52 AM) *
I keep seeing the Eagles associated with Attaochu. My guess is they'll tap a rusher to learn behind Cole for a year, either in the second or third.

I like Attaochu a lot. Assuming there isn't a cant miss defensive player available at 22, then Cooks/Beckham/maybe(Lee) and Attaochu in the 2nd would be ideal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.