Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guy who wrote CBS article about Jackson
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
http://betaplayer.radio.com/listen/station/sportsradio-94wip

Can listen to it on this link...said something interesting about from what players told him, when we play the Skins it will be interesting...he said the players have Chip's back on this.
nephillymike
Can u give a summary if u get the chance?
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 5 2014, 10:55 PM) *
Can u give a summary if u get the chance?

No problem, very interesting stuff, the article seems legit to me, I can't see why this guy would fabricate all this stuff. Sounds like he talked to players and coaches, but the general consensus was that DeSean was a distraction quite often, tantrums, cursing out Kelly in front of others. Sounded like he was trying to establish himself as the resident diva by pushing the coach all season. The fact that everyone he talked to told him that the players did not like how Jackson was behaving and they had the Kelly's back indicates that he handled his Diva through the season.

People are asking why he never benched or suspended him for these actions, and though the author did not pursue that question with the people he talked to, they did tell him how Kelly wanted to keep any issues in house, especially in his first year as an NFL coach. If he had disciplined Jackson in season it would have triggered a media frenzy like this, and Kelly did not want that distraction.

On the Cooper situation, one thing that has come out is that when it happened Kelly did not just forgive Cooper. He went to his players and asked them what they thought he should do, cut him or give him another chance. So that played out with enough of his players wanting to keep him because he was generally a good team mate. It speaks volumes how no one has come out with a ringing endorsement of Jackson, even Shady's farewell tweet had an 'oh well' feel to it.

Look I also heard Trotter on the radio today, he said he did some digging when all this came out, and he lays the blame wholly on DeSean. He said he was warned when Chip arrived that the things he used to get away with were no longer tolerated, and instead of taking that seriously he decided to act like rules did not apply to him. It came down to Chip giving him a chance since he was so talented, but by the end of the year (especially with the skipped exit interview) he had had enough.

Look it is one thing to have a diva on the roster, but even those guys have to hold some respect for their coach, and Jackson showed none to Chip. If you can't at least show respect for your boss, whether you feel it or not, then you should not be surprised, or even hurt, when he cuts your ass loose.

You think DeSean wants to prove something when he plays the eagles? Sounds like a few eagles want to prove a few things to him too. I'm kind of looking forward to those games, I think our guys might give him a couple of very rough games.
nephillymike
Thanks BW, great summary.

To me, what he said is an easy sell.

Seemed like he was a real jerk. Also, because of the lack of suspension for Cooper, Chip's hands were probably tied to inaction.

That's all good.

Bad news is that it seems that it was all old stuff, last year and prior.

This paints the timing of the cut in an unfavorable light as it relates to our ability to get something for him, whether a pick or a few free agents.

At least the actual cut seems justified.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 5 2014, 11:10 PM) *
This paints the timing of the cut in an unfavorable light as it relates to our ability to get something for him, whether a pick or a few free agents.

I don't understand this. Kelly tries to make it work with Jackson. After the trade deadline in October (?) what's he supposed to do? It's very possible that he tried to move him immediately following the Super Bowl but Jackson's contract was an impediment. Plus, every team on the planet apparently feels that this is the best WR draft ever and everyone except Dan Snyder has to know that Jackson is a huge headache even with his talent. Why pay $10 million and help the Eagles with a pick if you can wait and use that pick for a less expensive, less abrasive WR? Maybe Harbaugh would add him to get past the Seahawks but not for that money.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 6 2014, 08:21 AM) *
I don't understand this. Kelly tries to make it work with Jackson. After the trade deadline in October (?) what's he supposed to do? It's very possible that he tried to move him immediately following the Super Bowl but Jackson's contract was an impediment. Plus, every team on the planet apparently feels that this is the best WR draft ever and everyone except Dan Snyder has to know that Jackson is a huge headache even with his talent. Why pay $10 million and help the Eagles with a pick if you can wait and use that pick for a less expensive, less abrasive WR? Maybe Harbaugh would add him to get past the Seahawks but not for that money.

Not only was Jackson's reputation as a Diva and his contract both impediments, his calling for a new contract raise what 3 days after the season, was flashing warning signals to all to stay away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.