Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK, Z, I. Need to Hear How it happened
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I saw your 'absolutely not' comment in the other thread.

How do you think The chain of events unfolded?
How do you hope they unfolded?
Zero
Here's the question and answer:
Think it was all about money? - Absolutely not! I do wish they had signed a pass rushing demon in FA and spent some of that cap money but I think they would of cut his ass if he had been paying them.

Reading the reports that have filtered out over the past couple of weeks makes me believe that Jackson's Eagle days ended as a result of several things, money probably played a part but not the main part.

1- Just about everyone on the team bought into Kelly and his systems, from the offense to the smoothies and the sleep, the team either saw that it was making a difference or at least didn't fight it ... except Jackson if we're to believe the reports and the insinuations.
2- Except for the initial comment by Kendricks, there wasn't an Eagle who came out against his release. Only rumors told us there were players that were happy. There wasn't one player either on the team or who had played with him and is no longer an Eagle that came out to contest the release. Afraid of Kelly's retribution? Vick didn't support Jackson. Not Leonard Weaver, Kevin Kolb, Clay Harbor or any other player. Not Andy, not Marty neither of which made a public comment on having any desire to add him to their respective roster after his release. This tells us he probably wasn't a popular player.
3- Jackson got into a shouting match with his position coach and, if reports are to be believed, it wasn't unusual for him to be disrespectful towards the HC. Those same reports described Kelly as not engaging in a confrontation over this (a mistake in my opinion).
4- The reports also described Jackson as being more involved in his music business than he was in non-football team activities. Add #1 and #2 to this and it doesn't equate to a "team" guy.
5- Jackson admits that he was frequently late to meetings although he denies missing more than one.
6- He had history of cashing out when he didn't get what he wanted ... he publicly stated his belief that he deserved more money.

All of this on a team that is one of the youngest in the NFL in an offense that didn't have that dynamic #1 receiver before Jackson (Oregon). All of this for $10 million right after the Eagles rewarded Peters, Kelce, Cooper and Maclin. Jackson could have been a "me" player and been more interested in his business than building playgrounds, still be catching passes for the Eagles and collecting $10 mil, IMO. Add in everything else and he's more a liability on a young team with a new coach than he is a benefit.

It wasn't all about the money, but the money is a main reason they couldn't trade him. No surprise that "throw money at a name" Snyder is the one who signed Jackson fairly quickly and gave him a good contract. We'll see how that plays out, but there's little reason the Eagles should have continued paying anything for the potential damage he could do to the development of young players.

Even with Jackson, it would be unlikely for the Eagles to win the Super Bowl this year ... possible, but not likely. We hope they'll have their third good draft in three years and it would seem important to have the young players learning good team habits instead of potentially emulating a guy who apparently doesn't value "team."

The money saved probably did have a part in their decision because they're looking at some significant extensions next year. Next year they're hopefully in the position where they can overspend for a key player here or there to get them over the top. I don't think they're there this year. But, it absolutely was not all about the money IMO. It was all about Jackson.
Zero
Oh, add in the losses the team will incur for #10 jersey sales.
nephillymike
OK, at least you say that it was partly about the money. I misunderstood your previous comment.

Thanks.

I need no further convincing of him being a selfish, non dedicated malcontent.

Let's agree that he was bad news attitudinally and let's agree that it had nothing to do with gangs etc.

Would you agree with what we've heard so far, that there was no recent smoking gun. All of the reasons seem to be attitude issues which were known last season or prior?

It was known we were trying to trade him for weeks, if not into last off season.

Flashback to the days before FA.

If they thought his market was dead and there was no hope for any deal, why not cut him then and use his money for FA acquisitions?

If that wasn't the case, why not hold onto him throughout the draft which is when most trades happen in the NFL? There would likely be some teams who miss out on the wr draft sweepstakes. There could also be a player for player trade possibility where we pickup another team's high priced talent to make room for them to absorb DJ.'s salary. The draft could create excess veteran talent around the league and we could land someone.

Why release him after the four weeks of active free agency?

Just looking for why you think it happened that way.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 6 2014, 07:11 AM) *
Oh, add in the losses the team will incur for #10 jersey sales.

They may have a bunch of folks with #10 jerseys who have to buy new ones.

BTW, didn't Cooper give DJ a glowing review in that first article that came out the week before he got cut?
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 6 2014, 07:37 AM) *
OK, at least you say that it was partly about the money. I misunderstood your previous comment.

Thanks.

I need no further convincing of him being a selfish, non dedicated malcontent.

Let's agree that he was bad news attitudinally and let's agree that it had nothing to do with gangs etc.

Would you agree with what we've heard so far, that there was no recent smoking gun. All of the reasons seem to be attitude issues which were known last season or prior?

It was known we were trying to trade him for weeks, if not into last off season.

Flashback to the days before FA.

If they thought his market was dead and there was no hope for any deal, why not cut him then and use his money for FA acquisitions?

If that wasn't the case, why not hold onto him throughout the draft which is when most trades happen in the NFL? There would likely be some teams who miss out on the wr draft sweepstakes. There could also be a player for player trade possibility where we pickup another team's high priced talent to make room for them to absorb DJ.'s salary. The draft could create excess veteran talent around the league and we could land someone.

Just looking for why you think it happened that way.

No smoking gun. I'm not sure there were more FA that they wanted. I think they were interested in the two OLBs but both were off the market.

I think I said in another thread that they should have kept him until the draft, even after the draft. Draft day trade for the 'Skins fourth is better than nothing. Maybe a WR gets hurt before camp and they trade a future pick for him.

I don't understand either. The only thing I can come up with is that they wanted to get it over with. That's not a good business decision. Maybe it's a good emotional decision for the FO and the players but I think they should have tried longer to get something for him.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 6 2014, 07:46 AM) *
No smoking gun. I'm not sure there were more FA that they wanted. I think they were interested in the two OLBs but both were off the market.

I think I said in another thread that they should have kept him until the draft, even after the draft. Draft day trade for the 'Skins fourth is better than nothing. Maybe a WR gets hurt before camp and they trade a future pick for him.

I don't understand either. The only thing I can come up with is that they wanted to get it over with. That's not a good business decision. Maybe it's a good emotional decision for the FO and the players but I think they should have tried longer to get something for him.

Actually, it was an excellent business decision. Anytime you can drop 10.75M directly to the bottom line that the fans don't object to, use that good will capital while you have it.

It was a bad football decision. The transfer of talent to a division rival without any improvement of talent at other needed positions, especially in a season with a tougher schedule, will make it more difficult to achieve the publicized goal of winning a Super Bowl or even a less lofty goal of a return to the post season.

Come up short and don't advance in the playoffs this year and some of that goodwill capital will go away, provided that the fans remember these events this time next year. They may get lucky and the fan base will forget, yet giving the team yet another year grace period to stash cap away for that always ellusive tomorrow.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 6 2014, 11:11 AM) *
Actually, it was an excellent business decision. It was a bad football decision.

If they made an emotional decision to move on NOW rather than wait and maximize their return, I view that as a bad business decision.

I get your point, but "football" is their business. It's the product that makes them their money. When a business sacrifices the quality of the product for a relatively small profit gain in a highly competitive field, it generally works against them. $10 million is peanuts to an NFL franchise. If they reduce the quality of the product, saving that money could turn their customers against them.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 6 2014, 11:48 AM) *
If they made an emotional decision to move on NOW rather than wait and maximize their return, I view that as a bad business decision.

I get your point, but "football" is their business. It's the product that makes them their money. When a business sacrifices the quality of the product for a relatively small profit gain in a highly competitive field, it generally works against them. $10 million is peanuts to an NFL franchise. If they reduce the quality of the product, saving that money could turn their customers against them.

You need to know your customer base. They do. They see the 60,000 waiting list.

If fans don't think it's a problem, you are OK until they realize it is a problem.

While $10M may seem like peanuts to a team with over $250M of football related revenues. (Cap of $130M and players cut is about half), it is a much greater share of net profits. A very healthy net profit is 10%. On $250M, that is 25M. That $10M could have increased net income by 40%. Not peanuts anymore! A small piece of total income can be a big piece of net income if it all goes to the bottom line.

Very few fans will ever realize the details. It works in the teams favor. Other than me, did anyone else mention last year that going low budget on S in FA was a bad thing? However, rightfully so, everyone bitched about Chung's play and how poorly he played vs. NO, but the connection is never made to the same decision they made last year at FA time. Roll it forward, rather than buy better talent. Last year I can be more forgiving because you could say they didn't know we would be a playoff team. Not this year. We could contend and that is the mindset going in. No excuse for it.
Flying Dutchman
Sorry but it seems you are going overboard on conspiracy theories which are laughable at best. While you are at it has the President been kidnapped and Glenn Beck installed to lead the "New Republic"?????? The bottom line is Chip Kelly knows what he wants in team attitude and DJerk didn't fit it. With one of the youngest teams in the league last year and probably even younger now with Vic, Avant gone he can't run the risk that an SOB like Jackson could destroy what he was trying to build with this team. The CBS report backs that up.

And by the way, cussing out your boss repeatedly in team meetings is not being "disrespectful". Not in this universe, that is being downright stupid, mutinous and suicidal.
Rick
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 6 2014, 12:11 PM) *
Actually, it was an excellent business decision. Anytime you can drop 10.75M directly to the bottom line that the fans don't object to, use that good will capital while you have it.

It was a bad football decision. The transfer of talent to a division rival without any improvement of talent at other needed positions, especially in a season with a tougher schedule, will make it more difficult to achieve the publicized goal of winning a Super Bowl or even a less lofty goal of a return to the post season.

Come up short and don't advance in the playoffs this year and some of that goodwill capital will go away, provided that the fans remember these events this time next year. They may get lucky and the fan base will forget, yet giving the team yet another year grace period to stash cap away for that always ellusive tomorrow.

Well-said. Was an absolute stupid football decision. This move did absolutely NOTHING to make the team better and a LOT to make it worse.

Wasn't a good guy? Who cares? Didn't totally buy into the system? Who cares? The other things? Who cares? The guy is a playmaker. Seems like there was little done by the coaching staff to educate him as to how he should behave.

Unfortunately, athletes who perform are treated differently than others on the team in ALL sports ALL of the time. DJax performed.

Is he a guy I wanted to hang out and have beers with? Not a bit. But he helped the Eagles win games and he isn't a convicted felon like other people in the league. To my knowledge, he's never done anything remotely bad enough to make me feel like he's a horrible person. Selfish? Maybe. I really don't know. I guess if you call someone who is trying to protect their financial future selfish then I guess he is. I've said it before, the teams protect their finances ALL OF THE TIME by cutting players, going to them to renegotiate, etc. But players are bad when they want this. Oh and, it's not like the guy has been running around shouting he wanted more money. He was asked about it once. He answered truthfully and with a lot of tact. He didn't demand anything and hasn't.

One thing about Philly fans I'll never understand is how they turn on people with little to no reason based on little to no factual information available.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Apr 6 2014, 05:22 PM) *
Sorry but it seems you are going overboard on conspiracy theories which are laughable at best. While you are at it has the President been kidnapped and Glenn Beck installed to lead the "New Republic"?????? The bottom line is Chip Kelly knows what he wants in team attitude and DJerk didn't fit it. With one of the youngest teams in the league last year and probably even younger now with Vic, Avant gone he can't run the risk that an SOB like Jackson could destroy what he was trying to build with this team. The CBS report backs that up.

And by the way, cussing out your boss repeatedly in team meetings is not being "disrespectful". Not in this universe, that is being downright stupid, mutinous and suicidal.

Conspiracy theory?

Not even a little bit.

They've done it just about every year for the last 12 years. Keep 15-20% of the cap unused for future years.

With the Jackson cut, they are back in their historical comfort zone.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 6 2014, 07:21 PM) *
Well-said. Was an absolute stupid football decision. This move did absolutely NOTHING to make the team better and a LOT to make it worse.

Wasn't a good guy? Who cares? Didn't totally buy into the system? Who cares? The other things? Who cares? The guy is a playmaker. Seems like there was little done by the coaching staff to educate him as to how he should behave.

Unfortunately, athletes who perform are treated differently than others on the team in ALL sports ALL of the time. DJax performed.

Is he a guy I wanted to hang out and have beers with? Not a bit. But he helped the Eagles win games and he isn't a convicted felon like other people in the league. To my knowledge, he's never done anything remotely bad enough to make me feel like he's a horrible person. Selfish? Maybe. I really don't know. I guess if you call someone who is trying to protect their financial future selfish then I guess he is. I've said it before, the teams protect their finances ALL OF THE TIME by cutting players, going to them to renegotiate, etc. But players are bad when they want this. Oh and, it's not like the guy has been running around shouting he wanted more money. He was asked about it once. He answered truthfully and with a lot of tact. He didn't demand anything and hasn't.

One thing about Philly fans I'll never understand is how they turn on people with little to no reason based on little to no factual information available.

Rick,
How would you feel if they cut Jackson and said they were using his money to sign two free agents this year and then did that?

You OK with that?

I would be fine with that. I would buy that.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 6 2014, 08:43 PM) *
Conspiracy theory?

Not even a little bit.

They've done it just about every year for the last 12 years. Keep 15-20% of the cap unused for future years.

With the Jackson cut, they are back in their historical comfort zone.

I don't give a damn about the Reid/Banner days. It is all about Kelly now and I have a lot of faith in his commitment to a team approach which was NEVER part of DJerks way of playing. For Banner you are very probably right. It is not that clear to me that anything like that is the driver for Chip.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Apr 6 2014, 07:54 PM) *
I don't give a damn about the Reid/Banner days. It is all about Kelly now and I have a lot of faith in his commitment to a team approach which was NEVER part of DJerks way of playing. For Banner you are very probably right. It is not that clear to me that anything like that is the driver for Chip.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!

I hope not Dutch, but their cap strategy appears to be the same. It would be unusual for Chip to have final say on how much they're allowed to spend, but rather how to divide the budget he's given.

I like Chip and Howie and Don and Jeff. Seem like good guys very competent. I wish they would see the opportunity and seize it. I have always thought and still think that leaving all that cap unused puts too much pressure on them to be right on every move and to win with less. Not easy to do.

Time will tell.
TGryn
Timing wise, they may have wanted to see if they could drum up any interest during the Annual Meetings, when all the league guys are in one place so its easy to have face-to-face meetings. After that didn't work out, they started the wheels in motion to outright release him.
Zero
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 6 2014, 07:21 PM) *

Is he a guy I wanted to hang out and have beers with?

I think the point is that they felt he could adversely affect the young players, not if you or I want to have a beer with him. It's not about him being a nice guy, it's about him being a team player on a very young, ascending team.

Remember 2011 when he wanted a new deal and quit on the team? He admitted he did that - a fact. Were you OK with him then? He said he deserved more money this year - another fact. Would he have quit on the team again? Would that be OK? Do you think it's OK for him to disrespect the HC in front of everyone? That's what he's reported to have done on several occasions and we all saw him do it on TV with his position coach - fact.

For me, it's not about turning on Jackson. I don't know the guy, met him once and he seemed OK. I want the Eagles to win a Super Bowl or 10. Joe Banner isn't here any more and so far Howie and Chip seem to be doing OK. If we believe what most reports agree on, Kelly gave Jackson plenty of room to be himself and, despite his talent that didn't fit with what Kelly wanted or apparently what Jackson's teammates wanted. The shame is that they couldn't get anything in return for him.
Rick
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 6 2014, 08:46 PM) *
Rick,
How would you feel if they cut Jackson and said they were using his money to sign two free agents this year and then did that?

You OK with that?

I would be fine with that. I would buy that.

That's not what they are doing. And, more importantly, they already have the space needed to sign whomever they'd want.

So no, I wouldn't be ok with that.
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 7 2014, 05:48 AM) *
I think the point is that they felt he could adversely affect the young players, not if you or I want to have a beer with him. It's not about him being a nice guy, it's about him being a team player on a very young, ascending team.

Yeah, I guess he was so bad he influenced the young guys to win 10 games last year. Again, I don't care. If the guy helps win games--and isn't doing things which would put him in jail--I'm ok with him.

Remember 2011 when he wanted a new deal and quit on the team? He admitted he did that - a fact. Were you OK with him then? He said he deserved more money this year - another fact. Would he have quit on the team again? Would that be OK? Do you think it's OK for him to disrespect the HC in front of everyone? That's what he's reported to have done on several occasions and we all saw him do it on TV with his position coach - fact.

I do remember that, and no, I wasn't ok with that. However, I was ok with him wanting more money. He was being HORRIBLY underpaid for his skillset at the time. But no, quitting isn't the right way to go about doing it.

Disrespect? Come on. The coaches are big boys, they can handle it (or not). I don't care about that crap. These guys are together a LOT for a LOT of time. Like a family, people will get butt hurt (on both sides) and things will be said/done people will regret.

For me, it's not about turning on Jackson. I don't know the guy, met him once and he seemed OK. I want the Eagles to win a Super Bowl or 10. Joe Banner isn't here any more and so far Howie and Chip seem to be doing OK. If we believe what most reports agree on, Kelly gave Jackson plenty of room to be himself and, despite his talent that didn't fit with what Kelly wanted or apparently what Jackson's teammates wanted. The shame is that they couldn't get anything in return for him.

Again, he must have bought in enough, he DID have a career year with numbers which put up near/at the top of the NFL at almost all of the categories you look at with a WR. So, again, I don't buy that either.

In the end, we are a worse team for the move. There isn't one football thing which makes them a better team through this move. We are now a little further from a Superbowl.
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 6 2014, 09:10 PM) *
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!

I hope not Dutch, but their cap strategy appears to be the same. It would be unusual for Chip to have final say on how much they're allowed to spend, but rather how to divide the budget he's given.

I like Chip and Howie and Don and Jeff. Seem like good guys very competent. I wish they would see the opportunity and seize it. I have always thought and still think that leaving all that cap unused puts too much pressure on them to be right on every move and to win with less. Not easy to do.

Time will tell.

I don't think you can compare the cap numbers now to the Reid/Banner days. Yet.

With the new sheriff in town, they might be storing up now to get the team Chip wants. I'd say to give it a year (maybe two) before we start down the "not again!" road.

Of course, in two years if we're still competing for a first round loss with $20M in cap space, I'll take my "I told ya so" like a man. biggrin.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (samaroo @ Apr 7 2014, 08:03 AM) *
I don't think you can compare the cap numbers now to the Reid/Banner days. Yet.

With the new sheriff in town, they might be storing up now to get the team Chip wants. I'd say to give it a year (maybe two) before we start down the "not again!" road.

Of course, in two years if we're still competing for a first round loss with $20M in cap space, I'll take my "I told ya so" like a man. biggrin.gif

One thing that baffles me about the "storing up" theory.

Let's say that they really believe 2015 is their year. So maybe they are approaching 2014 with more patience than I would. But whether you go the FA or draft route or both, you really need to have those players here THIS year to go thru the learning curve for a year to hit the ground running next year. It's not like you sign a FA and expect him to be good only one year. If 2015 is the year, those players should b here now!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 7 2014, 06:32 PM) *

Let's say that they really believe 2015 is their year. So maybe they are approaching 2014 with more patience than I would. But whether you go the FA or draft route or both, you really need to have those players here THIS year to go thru the learning curve for a year to hit the ground running next year. It's not like you sign a FA and expect him to be good only one year. If 2015 is the year, those players should b here now!

Really? how long did it take the current bunch to learn the system? Did I miss Chip's first year and last year was year 2?

Come on Mikey.....did you mean draft picks?.....
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 7 2014, 06:32 PM) *

I didn't mean it exactly how I think you took it. I think Chip is looking for very specific people to build his vision of the team. I think he'd rather not overspend on guys that don't fit what he's looking for if he can get "his" guy later. Does that make more sense?

Like if you REALLY want a blue Mustang, and you go to the dealership and all they have are red V-6's. Some would buy the red one for instant gratification, I think Chip's holding out for what he wants.

I know that's a dumb analogy, but it's all I could come up with.
sticks n skins
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 6 2014, 09:48 AM) *

You're thinking short term. If he really was that much of a locker room cancer getting him out now (rather than next year) allows the team to keep a bad influence away from the younger players. In the long term this will help team chemistry and locker room cohesiveness.
Zero
QUOTE (sticks n skins @ Apr 8 2014, 03:19 PM) *
You're thinking short term. If he really was that much of a locker room cancer getting him out now (rather than next year) allows the team to keep a bad influence away from the younger players. In the long term this will help team chemistry and locker room cohesiveness.

I absolutely agree. My only reservation is that they didn't get anything in return. I don't think they had any choice, but it would have been much better to get a player and/or a pick.
sticks n skins
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 8 2014, 02:13 PM) *
I absolutely agree. My only reservation is that they didn't get anything in return. I don't think they had any choice, but it would have been much better to get a player and/or a pick.

I was upset they were only asking for a third. I thought that was a ripoff. Now that they just outright released him it tells me the situation was most likely MUCH worse than any of us knew.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (sticks n skins @ Apr 8 2014, 07:14 PM) *
I was upset they were only asking for a third. I thought that was a ripoff. Now that they just outright released him it tells me the situation was most likely MUCH worse than any of us knew.

Unfortunately for us, I think you nailed it exactly. That's backed up by the reports we've seen, the silence among his teammates and even around the league except for his erstwhile old teammate now out in Seattle.
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 6 2014, 01:37 PM) *

Because they were hoping they'd find a trade partner. Remember the king's ransom the vikings got for Harvin? A 1st rounder and additional mid round draft picks. They couldn't even get a 5th for desean. That's where the $$$ came into play in my opinion.
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 9 2014, 01:17 PM) *
Because they were hoping they'd find a trade partner. Remember the king's ransom the vikings got for Harvin? A 1st rounder and additional mid round draft picks. They couldn't even get a 5th for desean. That's where the $$$ came into play in my opinion.

OK, but there is much busier trade activity during the draft. Hold on to him thru the draft then. Could maybe even trade player for player with a pick to balance it out. The draft is a big sale.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 9 2014, 08:02 PM) *
OK, but there is much busier trade activity during the draft. Hold on to him thru the draft then. Could maybe even trade player for player with a pick to balance it out. The draft is a big sale.

Normally you would be absolutely correct......but.......the big little butt in this one (excuse the pun) is DJ has a rep on this team and most
likely with other teams that watched him dog it when he wanted a bigger contract like he whined about here just days after this season ended and
they all got scared off. They were not going to give up anything to take our problem off our hands. He cost himself a lot of bucks.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Apr 9 2014, 08:27 PM) *
Normally you would be absolutely correct......but.......the big little butt in this one (excuse the pun) is DJ has a rep on this team and most
likely with other teams that watched him dog it when he wanted a bigger contract like he whined about here just days after this season ended and
they all got scared off. They were not going to give up anything to take our problem off our hands. He cost himself a lot of bucks.

How did he cost himself a lot of bucks?
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 9 2014, 09:32 PM) *
How did he cost himself a lot of bucks?

I read he was due 12.5 mil this year and got less from the skins, millions less.
nephillymike
[quote name='Flying Dutchman' date='Apr 9 2014, 08:48 PM' post='259918']
I read he was due 12.5 mil this year and got less from the skins, millions less.
[/quote
http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=DeSean%...p;Team=Redskins

He was due to make 10.75 non guaranteed money. He got 16M in guarantees from Wash.

The 12.5 you refer to was his old cap #.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.